Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3.0 running really badly!  (Read 1637 times)

106rallye

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
3.0 running really badly!
« on: 04 December 2007, 12:31:02 »

Hey
my 3.0 has started running really really rough, it feels like my old 4 pot with a high lift cam at idle, then when you start moving it feels like its dropped a cylinder or 2 and there's no power whatsoever. also the fuel consumpiton has got stupid since it happend! as soon as i look at the throttle it drops to single figures.

now i suspect the crankcase beathers are blocked (rocker cover gaskets went pop and oil filter blew off) but would this have anything to do with it running really bad?

Thanks in advance
sideways is the way forward!

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
Re: 3.0 running really badly!
« Reply #1 on: 04 December 2007, 12:38:49 »

Hey
my 3.0 has started running really really rough, it feels like my old 4 pot with a high lift cam at idle, then when you start moving it feels like its dropped a cylinder or 2 and there's no power whatsoever. also the fuel consumpiton has got stupid since it happend! as soon as i look at the throttle it drops to single figures.

now i suspect the crankcase beathers are blocked (rocker cover gaskets went pop and oil filter blew off) but would this have anything to do with it running really bad?

Thanks in advance

...errr, if you really mean this, then yes it would

106rallye

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2007, 12:52:57 »

...errr, if you really mean this, then yes it would

naa it happend as i pulled into my street and the oil hadnt emptied by the time i got to my house (much to my relief, shame the parents didnt think 3l's of oil on the street was a blessing lol).

its not the bottem end thats away, i know that knock far to well lol plus the omega had the bottom end rebuilt about 40k ago.

i think its something to do with either the spark or fuel in one (or more) of the cyilinders but not sure, donno if it could be a sensor thats caused it. it went from running perfectly one night then in the morning running like this. the oil filter incident happened a few weeks ago.

106rallye

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 December 2007, 13:01:03 »

i suspect it could be oil thats get into one of the spark plug holes, but wont get a chance to check until the weekend, that is if im not still ill and spend it in my bed again  [smiley=embarassed.gif]

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 December 2007, 13:10:28 »

It could be consequence to blocked breathers - ie damaged HT leads/plugs due to oil in the plug wells.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 December 2007, 13:48:45 »

Well I cant see how blocked breathers would cause an oil filter to blow off......only a blocked bypass valve and a VERY clogged filter could cause that!

And running with no filter for any time at all is not good as you have 0 oil supply to the bearing surfaces.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 December 2007, 13:54:14 »

Well I cant see how blocked breathers would cause an oil filter to blow off......only a blocked bypass valve and a VERY clogged filter could cause that!

And running with no filter for any time at all is not good as you have 0 oil supply to the bearing surfaces.

EEK!  :o

I read that as "oil filler" the first time round.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 December 2007, 14:04:49 »

EEK!  :o

I read that as "oil filler" the first time round.

Kevin

...I'm still not sure.   Oil filter blowing off sounds very unlikely.

Humpy

• Intermediate Member
  • Tunbridge Wells, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 December 2007, 16:23:06 »

Sounds to me more like some pistons have been holed or cracked [smiley=shocked.gif] I've had similar problems with the old straight six Monza engine which doesn't like being over revved and the piston skirt breaks behind the compression rings. This allows the compression to leak away drasticaly into the sump which pressurises the whole oil system blowing gaskets and yes blowing the oil filler off, bigtime!!! See if you can borrow a compression tester and test all six pots for a good seal. If all the pots give very similar readings and around the recomended pressure then you're alright. If it doesn't, well I'm afraid it's time to rebuild or replace the engine :'(

Humpy

106rallye

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 December 2007, 17:13:56 »

that was the only reason i could think of as to why it happened, either that of the last garage to change the oil didnt put it on tight enough.

tell me about it! i was shocked when i replaced the oil / filter and everything was fine! i was fully expecting the shells to be wrecked.

Sounds to me more like some pistons have been holed or cracked [smiley=shocked.gif] I've had similar problems with the old straight six Monza engine which doesn't like being over revved and the piston skirt breaks behind the compression rings. This allows the compression to leak away drasticaly into the sump which pressurises the whole oil system blowing gaskets and yes blowing the oil filler off, bigtime!!! See if you can borrow a compression tester and test all six pots for a good seal. If all the pots give very similar readings and around the recomended pressure then you're alright. If it doesn't, well I'm afraid it's time to rebuild or replace the engine :'(

Humpy

See that crossed my mind as well but there’s absolutely no oil coming through the exhaust at all, which if the piston was cracked i would expect at least a little.

time to start looking for a ls1 lol

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 December 2007, 17:20:09 »

If the oil filter burst (as opposed to fell off) I think only oil pressure could have done it. Yes, if the crankcase bought a lot of blowby gases it would pressurise and so would the oil system but the (plastic) cam covers would unseat themselves (maybe even shatter) long before anything more substantial would break, I reckon. Then there's the dipstick which would fly out, the oil filler cap would blow off along with every oil seal on the engine...

I reckon you've either got excessive oil pressure or it wasn't on tight ::)

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 December 2007, 21:02:57 »

Yep, wrongly fitted or a major oil blockage causing the oil pressure to blow it off.

Martin_1962

« Reply #12 on: 04 December 2007, 21:05:53 »

Or he means oil FILLER

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 December 2007, 08:25:38 »

Or he means oil FILLER

Already confirmed that its oil filter (a few posts up)..... :y

106rallye

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 December 2007, 15:51:07 »

well found out what the problem is, 1 of the plug wells was full of oil. drained it last night, took my g/f to work this morn, came home, checked it and it was full again.
looks like ive got my work cut out for me then, does anyone know how much the gasket kits from VX are?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 09 December 2007, 15:53:43 »

well found out what the problem is, 1 of the plug wells was full of oil. drained it last night, took my g/f to work this morn, came home, checked it and it was full again.
looks like ive got my work cut out for me then, does anyone know how much the gasket kits from VX are?
Around £50 for cam covers, plus you need the 16 o rings and some BLACK (not GREEN) sealent...
Grumpy old man

106rallye

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 December 2007, 16:03:11 »

Around £50 for cam covers, plus you need the 16 o rings and some BLACK (not GREEN) sealent...

ouch :o, is that for both sides or each? my old pug's cam gasket didnt even cost £5 lol

whats the difference with sealant?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 December 2007, 16:04:54 »

ouch :o, is that for both sides or each? my old pug's cam gasket didnt even cost £5 lol

whats the difference with sealant?
Thats for both sides.

The dealer will try to give you green sealent due to the way it is laid out in EPC.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.