Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cheap rocker cover gaskets  (Read 1082 times)

106rallye

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
cheap rocker cover gaskets
« on: 21 December 2007, 01:24:20 »

i know eveyone says only use o/e gaskets, but being the time of year  :-X and that ill be doing the labour myself. what do people think of using these as a temp fix? They need done badly (to the point where it takes 30 secs for a plug well to fill up) and i cant really afford vx prices this month but if these are a total waste of time them ill have to bite the bullet
sideways is the way forward!

106rallye

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
sideways is the way forward!

HI2DVY

• Intermediate Member
  • Deepest Darkest, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: cheap rocker cover gaskets
« Reply #2 on: 21 December 2007, 01:49:36 »

To be honest, these ones look not too bad - and you will save nearly £50 against buying genuine Vx parts (2 set, gaskets and o-rings) even at TC prices.

On the other hand, they probably wont last nearly as long as Vx parts and they may not fit as well as the genuine ones - so be prepared to replace them again in the springtime - when the weathers better!

Given that your plugwells are filling up so quickly then fitting these cheapo's MUST be better than what youve got at the moment - for a little while anyway.  :y

some day.....

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 December 2007, 01:51:40 »

If fitted properly with clean breathers  -  They might see you alright until the cold weather is over - not much longer

TBH, bite the bullet and go genuine, if the car is any good...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 December 2007, 08:49:00 »

virtually all the pattern ones, including normally respected gasket makers like FAI, last weeks if you're lucky.  Any warranty claim will be met with the 'warped rocker covers mate' myth.  You'll need to borrow a 8Nm torque wrench - I find it very difficult to judge 8Nm by hand....
Grumpy old man

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 December 2007, 10:49:29 »

virtually all the pattern ones, including normally respected gasket makers like FAI, last weeks if you're lucky.  Any warranty claim will be met with the 'warped rocker covers mate' myth.  You'll need to borrow a 8Nm torque wrench - I find it very difficult to judge 8Nm by hand....

I am inclined to agree. My Elring ones from Autovaux (' they are the Vx suppliers mate...') - bought before I joined here, honest ;) - are starting to go now after only 9 months.  Will be at least attempting to claim money back.   They were fine for 6 months at least so I assume its not the covers warped.

Isn't it ridiculous that noone seems to make these reliably - or maybe its the inherent design of the head/cover that is crap.   Either way it means Vx can justify their crazy prices for 4 rubber bands..

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 December 2007, 18:49:46 »

I am inclined to agree. My Elring ones from Autovaux (' they are the Vx suppliers mate...') - bought before I joined here, honest ;) - are starting to go now after only 9 months.  Will be at least attempting to claim money back.   They were fine for 6 months at least so I assume its not the covers warped.

Isn't it ridiculous that noone seems to make these reliably - or maybe its the inherent design of the head/cover that is crap.   Either way it means Vx can justify their crazy prices for 4 rubber bands..

I doubt you'll manage to complain about pattern gaskets that have lasted 9 months!  ::)

markey mark

• Omega Baron
  • SLady bitshorpe north lincs
  • banned for repeatedly reneaging on deals.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 December 2007, 19:08:52 »

genuine all the way on cam cover gaskets bud !! pattern parts are shite !!  ;)

The Cambelt Kid

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 December 2007, 22:41:41 »

Bite the bullet, you don't wan't to doo the job twice!

TIP - I used some IPA (100% proof) and some wooden splints to clean all surfaces.  A good job will take an afternoon as you don't wan't to strip it all down again.

I'm not sure that the seals are available on TC, so it's £50 notes from GM.

Cheers
[size=18]Project LP6 has landed![/size]
[size=12]DIY LPG now finally complete!! Whoo hoo.[/size]

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 December 2007, 09:30:41 »

GM Vauxhall or wet string ? :-?

Save your pennies.... VX! :y

Do it right, do it once................
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.