Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 2980589 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #19005 on: 01 September 2019, 08:13:39 »

Oil and filter change on the Zafira, along with new pollen filter and air filter.

Still can’t find coolant leak on 3.2, strangely it only ever leaks on way back from work.  :-\

Can you not use a black light, or similar to find coolant leaks?

Stuck some UV dye in it, had a look with special torch. Can’t see anything. Top it up and do ~25 miles to work it’s fine. Check at lunch when cooled, level still exactly where was when left home.

Drive home and it drops half cm or so according to header tank.  :-\

I wonder how many times failing to find a leak will it take to convince you there's an impossible**** internal fault?

***which actually means unusual

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19006 on: 01 September 2019, 11:46:04 »

I've never used u/v dyes and black torches .. far simpler way is two bottles of bright yellow food colouring added to system then run the car for a representative time such that the leak occurs ... you will then see a yellow "stain" at the point of leakage. Advantage of this method is that a small leak where the liquid evaporates quickly leaves a nice yellow stain that is easily visible... it has never failed me in over 40 years on numerous motors  :) .. it is also a VERY cheap diagnostic tool  :)

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/dr-oetker-yellow-colour-gel-15g?storeId=10151&langId=44&krypto=9MyoELdR9epibnY0YeY9uXMaRDNe9yynaA52NHA2q3qCWNk4p6I%2B7sJVeoqyN%2By9VUNVb2452%2BlIYQzhSsfwj3hHKsVLyejy1HWfHXODSiy%2FllrgKUwn1Q7VEcmuGMmImjAFxMx%2BatI%2B%2BNIS7fM3CFmJEz5uW0xNo3vFJ%2FUTdIw%3D&ddkey=https%3Agb%2Fgroceries%2Fdr-oetker-yellow-colour-gel-15g

other makes are available ... I used to steal whatever Mrs E had in her baking store ......   :)

Thanks, will try this  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19007 on: 01 September 2019, 11:48:28 »

Oil and filter change on the Zafira, along with new pollen filter and air filter.

Still can’t find coolant leak on 3.2, strangely it only ever leaks on way back from work.  :-\

Can you not use a black light, or similar to find coolant leaks?

Stuck some UV dye in it, had a look with special torch. Can’t see anything. Top it up and do ~25 miles to work it’s fine. Check at lunch when cooled, level still exactly where was when left home.

I wonder how many times failing to find a leak will it take to convince you there's an impossible**** internal fault?

Oh I’ve been wondering this for a while, just hoping to find a “traditional” leak.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19008 on: 01 September 2019, 11:52:08 »

Oh I’ve been wondering this for a while, just hoping to find a “traditional” leak.

You've been using efficient techniques for long enough that you should have found it by now some time ago. It's past time to get deeper into the rest of the system.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #19009 on: 03 September 2019, 20:42:14 »

Fiddled with rain sensor which didn't work in the rain today.  :(
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19010 on: 03 September 2019, 20:47:06 »

Got a wobbly inner track rod joint replaced on the Trolley... now stops and steers without any unexpected direction shifts :D

And, is I had the hose out, gave it a wash. Might give it a wipe of polish and an oil change tomorrow... :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #19011 on: 03 September 2019, 20:59:02 »

Got a wobbly inner track rod joint replaced on the Trolley... now stops and steers without any unexpected direction shifts :D

And, is I had the hose out, gave it a wash. Might give it a wipe of polish and an oil change tomorrow... :D

It'll go all temperamental if it realises you're spoiling it  ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19012 on: 03 September 2019, 21:09:17 »

Nah, I have left one broken thing...

They couldn't/wouldn't do the geometry after the track rod change due to a slightly worn lower ball joint ::)

aaronjb

« Reply #19013 on: 04 September 2019, 08:43:09 »

It's worse than that in our house - if I spoil one car, one of the others breaks down! ;D Spent last week doing rear discs (old ones had rusted and fallen to pieces), pads, oil change, air filter, rocker cover gaskets & rocker cover (because the PCV valve is part of the rocker cover) and timing chain tensioner on her MINI .. one day later, the alternator packed up on the Range Rover ;D

Still need to do the timing chain itself on the MINI, but that's no great surprise (they're known for it) .. at least the PCV valve appears to have cured the blue smoke, so I don't need to do the valve stem seals yet ;D

Now, back to that alternator .. at least it's not a body-off job like the roll bars ::)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19014 on: 04 September 2019, 14:02:30 »

Almost serviced my Welsh hatchback yesterday. Changed oil, oil filter, air filter, and tried to change the fuel filter. This contraption can only have been designed by a deranged cheese eater who loves to make something complicated when it doesn't need to be.
The kind of diesel filter im used to changing looks like this
https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Mercedes-Benz_190+Series_2.5_1990/p/car-parts/regular-service/car-service-parts/fuel-filters/?503220028&1&9e1826eccd4a568e3f8607978d3ab98862af3f97&000140

Retails at under £7, sits at the top of the engine, held in place by one bolt and takes two minutes to change.

The filter for the Welsh hatchback back is like this.
https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Renault_clit_1.5_2009/p/car-parts/regular-service/car-service-parts/fuel-filters/?503745188&1&6361b30dcb9f31e9b2fb504277ae497c9e99cd0d&000140
Retails at £46, lives behind the o/s/f wheel arch liner, has a bracket with four bolts which needs to be removed to access it, and takes about an hour to change.
When I fitted the new one yesterday, it became apparent after a while that something was wrong when approx. a gallon of diesel appeared all over my drive. Took everything apart again to find one of the pipes which go into it wasn't sealing properly. Try as I might I couldn't get it to seal, so had to go back to eurocraprats this morning to change it for a non faulty one and then do the whole fickin job again. All seems ok now.
I hate cars sometimes.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #19015 on: 04 September 2019, 18:17:35 »

Booked the V70 into the local ATS for an oil and filter change costing £55.90.  :-X

I'll change the air and pollen filters myself though!  :)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19016 on: 04 September 2019, 18:24:12 »

Booked the V70 into the local ATS for an oil and filter change costing £55.90:-X

:o :o :o :o :o

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #19017 on: 04 September 2019, 18:43:36 »

Booked the V70 into the local ATS for an oil and filter change costing £55.90:-X

:o :o :o :o :o

Did it through TopCashBack to get that price Shack!  :y  ;D

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19018 on: 04 September 2019, 19:03:46 »

Almost serviced my Welsh hatchback yesterday. Changed oil, oil filter, air filter, and tried to change the fuel filter

similar crappy design on Sh!troen crapasso but in theory you can replace the internal filter on those ,then they leak or leak from the electrical float switch plug
when I did the Zafira A diesel filter (simple 1 bolt /paper element ) it was date stamped 2005  ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19019 on: 04 September 2019, 19:12:57 »

Almost serviced my Welsh hatchback yesterday. Changed oil, oil filter, air filter, and tried to change the fuel filter

similar crappy design on Sh!troen crapasso but in theory you can replace the internal filter on those ,then they leak or leak from the electrical float switch plug
when I did the Zafira A diesel filter (simple 1 bolt /paper element ) it was date stamped 2005  ::)
At least they popped a new one in at the factory then

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.