Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Has any one noticed  (Read 3460 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Has any one noticed
« Reply #15 on: 05 August 2018, 10:36:10 »

When towing, some wagons flash me back in .... some don't, regardless of UK or foreign  :-\

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 August 2018, 10:40:15 »

If you're not towing anything and just in an ordinary car, you shouldn't be on the road if you need someone to flash you to let you know you've passed by.  :P
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #17 on: 05 August 2018, 11:17:53 »

Never heard of being flashed by an HGV. When I took a fully laden transit Luton with tail lift over the hill a couple of years ago, I was flashing HGV's to let them know it was safe to pull in. :-[

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 August 2018, 11:30:53 »

If you're not towing anything and just in an ordinary car, you shouldn't be on the road if you need someone to flash you to let you know you've passed by.  :P

Yes. The usual "rule" when solo is to wait until you can see the overtaken vehicle (HGV or not) clearly in your rear view mirror before pulling back in. Much the same for when towing, I imagine - just leave more "clear water" before pulling in?

Ron.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 August 2018, 13:15:03 »

While I agree that overtaking at 69mph in the outside lanes of major motorways is clearly within the law, I suspect doing so on any of the 120 or so miles of dual carriageway/ motorway (M5, M42, M40, M45, M1) that make up my daily commute you would incur the ire of 90% of people on the carriageway, not just the BMW drivers.

Personally I find myself equally irritated at people who use their (clearly ample reserves of) time to sit in the outside lane on motorways at or around 70 when there are perfectly usable lanes to their left but feel it's their duty, ordained by some higher power, to restrict me to a pre determined speed of their choosing

Being pedantic / standing on my high horse, if you are travelling within / at the speed limit, and clearly making progress on the vehicle being overtaken, why should any driver be pressured into either accelerating to pass the vehicle being overtaken quicker, and in doing so possibly exceed the speed limit, just to appease the following driver who wishes to drive at speeds  breaking the limit?
I regularly tow a car transporter with my Omega, which is restricted to 60mph on motorways. I regularly encounter HGV's doing 1/2 mph overtakes in lane 2, which sometimes takes a good few minutes, and effectively partly blocks the motorway whilst doing so. I appreciate they officially restricted to 56 mph, but there actions regularly mean that I have to wait behind them for however long it takes them to pass another HGV as I cannot use the 'outside'lane (whether that be on a 3or 4 lane motorway). Imagine what their reaction would be if I flashed them to move over or get of the way - a V sign or other gesticulation would be the very least. Why should car drivers be treated differently just keeping to the speed limit?
I have a HGV Class 1, so I understand why it is done, but it doesn't mean it's right.
Going off at a slight tangent, another thing that irks me is motorcycles overtaking a line of stationary vehicles in the oncoming lane on the approach to traffic lights or junction and pulling in at the front of the cars.  If I was to do that in a car and pull up at the front of the line of traffic before setting off when on green, holy hell would be let loose.
Rant over..
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

John-Ha

• Bristol
    • Omega 2.2 CDX TDI Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 August 2018, 14:24:03 »

Personally I find myself equally irritated at people who use their (clearly ample reserves of) time to sit in the outside lane on motorways at or around 70 when there are perfectly usable lanes to their left but feel it's their duty, ordained by some higher power, to restrict me to a pre determined speed of their choosing
You are quite correct to be irritated, if not something more.  Rule 264 of the Highway Code states:
Rule 264

You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past.

Unfortunately it's should, not must.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 August 2018, 15:43:23 »

While I agree that overtaking at 69mph in the outside lanes of major motorways is clearly within the law, I suspect doing so on any of the 120 or so miles of dual carriageway/ motorway (M5, M42, M40, M45, M1) that make up my daily commute you would incur the ire of 90% of people on the carriageway, not just the BMW drivers.

Being pedantic / standing on my high horse, if you are travelling within / at the speed limit, and clearly making progress on the vehicle being overtaken, why should any driver be pressured into either accelerating to pass the vehicle being overtaken quicker, and in doing so possibly exceed the speed limit, just to appease the following driver who wishes to drive at speeds  breaking the limit?

I didn't say that they should, I was merely making an observation about the way our motorways are used today. If the outside lane is being used for a genuine overtake, the only time I have ever flashed someone is when they have pulled out directly into my path - typically the seems to be Peugeot drivers. Not sure why  :-\

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 August 2018, 17:25:22 »

I regularly tow a car transporter with my Omega, which is restricted to 60mph on motorways. I regularly encounter HGV's doing 1/2 mph overtakes in lane 2, which sometimes takes a good few minutes, and effectively partly blocks the motorway whilst doing so. I appreciate they officially restricted to 56 mph, but there actions regularly mean that I have to wait behind them for however long it takes them to pass another HGV as I cannot use the 'outside'lane (whether that be on a 3or 4 lane motorway). Imagine what their reaction would be if I flashed them to move over or get of the way - a V sign or other gesticulation would be the very least. Why should car drivers be treated differently just keeping to the speed limit?
I have a HGV Class 1, so I understand why it is done, but it doesn't mean it's right.
Going off at a slight tangent, another thing that irks me is motorcycles overtaking a line of stationary vehicles in the oncoming lane on the approach to traffic lights or junction and pulling in at the front of the cars.  If I was to do that in a car and pull up at the front of the line of traffic before setting off when on green, holy hell would be let loose.
Rant over..

It isn't possible to carry out this manoeuvre in a car with driving downright dangerously. Its perfectly possible to do it safely on a motorcycle, due to its size and manoeuvrability. Still needs care and reading of both sides of the road ahead, so can carry risks, but nothing like the level of risk if someone was mad enough to try it in a car.  ;)
Once the bike is at the front of the line of traffic its highly unlikely it is going to hold up the cars behind when the lights change.
Very different story with pushbikes though, and for some reason they actually have boxes marked out especially for them at traffic lights to allow them to go to the front, and then hold everyone up behind them when the lights change.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 August 2018, 18:58:20 »

Yes Albs, but those cycle boxes are for political reasons..... >:(

Ron.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05 August 2018, 19:16:21 »

Yes Albs, but those cycle boxes are for political reasons..... >:(

Ron.

I've always thought they are the 'killing zone'.  ???  :-\  ;D

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 05 August 2018, 19:28:09 »

Shh, that's the secret purpose, Sir Tigger! That's also why the MAMILs are so visibly attired - to make easy tergets for us.  ;D ;D ;D

Ron.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05 August 2018, 19:51:40 »

Shh, that's the secret purpose, Sir Tigger! That's also why the MAMILs are so visibly attired - to make easy tergets for us.  ;D ;D ;D

Ron.

I want James Bond's Aston Martin with the guns in the front and the oil slick out the back!  8)

My front guns would fire paint balls though!  ;)  Such fun!!  ;D

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05 August 2018, 20:09:00 »

Ok yes I know it is usually when towing I was actually towing albeit a small trailer .
I was just stating I had not noticed it in general , motorway travel in the Pathfinder is a little slower and I get time to look a little more .
I have been on the M25 today and noticed how slow most of the traffic is in general , I had cruise control set at 70 and the amount of time I came up behind traffic travelling a fair bit slower than this but in almost all lanes .
 Obviously you get the few travelling much faster that motorway rules don’t seem apply to them and use the inside lanes as the overtaking lanes , and then there are the ones that only use the one lane I was in lane two cruise set at 70 overtaking lane traffic and leaving room for the undertakers to get past . You get the cars that come up behind you and will not go past even if the outer lanes are clear and wait for you to go over back in to lane 1 or 2 before they can go past
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 22 queries.