Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil Leak  (Read 1281 times)

Figureman52

• Intermediate Member
  • Nottingham
    • 2.6 CD Saloon
    • View Profile
Oil Leak
« on: 17 April 2019, 10:25:23 »

I have a oil leak that I can't track down.

The garage I took it to say it is very small and is coming from the head gasket. The general opinion on OOF seem to be that this is not very likely. I have posted a couple of images that I hope will show where the oil is appearing and am looking for any advice on where it might be coming from.

[img]http://The garage I took it to say it is very small and is coming from the head gasket. The general opinion on OOF seem to be that this is not very likely. I have posted a couple of images that I hope will show where the oil is appearing and am looking for any advice on where it might be coming from.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5htk6fzjwyd7hxm/Oil%20Leak%201.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/feqka20flivqkbv/Oil%20Leak%202.jpg?dl=0

Thank you.
« Last Edit: 17 April 2019, 10:29:08 by Figureman52 »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Leak
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2019, 13:49:21 »

The most likely culprit on a V6 is the cam cover gaskets. It's possible that it could be something else - PAS pump, camshaft oil seal or maybe a leak into the valley, but I think those are pretty unlikely in comparison. Really needs a bit of dismantling to investigate. First thing to do is to take off the coil packs ansd check the plug wells are dry, though, as cam cover gaskets will leak into the plug wells and cause trouble.

EDIT: highly unlikely to be anything as serious as a head gasket, IMHO.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2019, 13:56:33 »

The most likely culprit on a V6 is the cam cover gaskets. It's possible that it could be something else - PAS pump, camshaft oil seal or maybe a leak into the valley, but I think those are pretty unlikely in comparison. Really needs a bit of dismantling to investigate. First thing to do is to take off the coil packs ansd check the plug wells are dry, though, as cam cover gaskets will leak into the plug wells and cause trouble.

EDIT: highly unlikely to be anything as serious as a head gasket, IMHO.

:y I'd second that - oil leaking from cam covers and working its way down the back of the cambelt backplate. You'll soon find out when you remove the coil pack on the nearside bank (cyl 2-4-6).
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 April 2019, 14:01:22 »

Ive had a similar leak going on now for over 12 months.

Both camcover seals replaced ,even though originals were showing no evidence of a leak.Replaced oil pressure switch and still leak remains.

Seems to be more evident after a run and when engine has been left to cool down for several hours or even over night.Advise has been that the cam seals are the most likely culprits causing the oil to track down behind the back plate of the timing belt and puddle on the sump lip.

Given the sheer amount of work involved in replacing the cam seals ,and additional costs I will intend getting them all replaced when the timing belt etc needs replacing again in approx. 30k miles..

Naturally all assumes the car...and me...are still going strong.

Just my advise though 

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 April 2019, 22:57:31 »

The plug wells on mine were full of oil on the offside and the nearside had some water too. due to the fact the plugs hadn't been touched for quite a while before I bought it if I had not bothered to check when I did I doubt that one of the plugs would have been able to be removed before much longer due to the rotten state of it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.