Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with a choice.  (Read 1156 times)

Jusme

• Omega Knight
  • North Hykeham, Lincoln.
    • Lexus LS430
    • View Profile
Help with a choice.
« on: 29 July 2014, 01:17:15 »

I really cannot make my mind up, got an itch to buy another car but can't make my mind up? Big consideration is reliability. Anyone got experience/knowledge on any of the following??

Audi A4 3.0 TDi Quattro SE 4dr 2005 (55 reg), Saloon
FSH+CAMBELT REPLACED
------------------------------------------------------------------
Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro SE 4dr Tip Auto  2004 (54 reg), Saloon
£4000 OF EXTRAS,MARCH TAX
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ford Mondeo 3.0 V6 ST220 5dr  2007 (56 reg), Hatchback
Fully Loaded.
Honda Legend 3.5I VTEC EX 4DR AUTO HONDA SERVICE HISTORY  2006 (56 reg), Saloon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vauxhall Vectra 2.8 T V6 VXR 5dr  2006 (56 reg), Hatchback
FULL BLACK RECARO LEATHER
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Vauxhall Signum 3.2 V6 Elite 5dr Auto hopefully about 2007?
Mercedes-Benz CLK 320 Elegance 2dr Tip Auto 3.2  2003 (M reg), Convertible
**6 Months Warranty Inc**
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Under-steer is when the front of the car hits the wall, and over-steer is when the rear of the car hits the wall.
Power is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how much of the wall you take with you.

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a choice.
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2014, 01:36:08 »

I'd be tempted by a BMW 535d surely they can't all be bad, E60 530i even..  :-\

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 July 2014, 07:20:53 »

How dare you even consider getting another car. Stick with the omega you know you want to :y

Ps the A6 is the one I'd pick :y

Jusme

• Omega Knight
    • Lexus LS430
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 July 2014, 08:13:11 »

Got 2 Miggy's sat here Ian, plus a Rover 75. 2.5 Con a sewer,  :-[ not getting rid of both Omegas.. ;)
Under-steer is when the front of the car hits the wall, and over-steer is when the rear of the car hits the wall.
Power is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how much of the wall you take with you.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 July 2014, 10:01:25 »

How many cars do you need ;D

(Says TB who has 3 cars  :-[)
Grumpy old man

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 July 2014, 10:24:01 »

Vauxhall Vectra 2.8 T V6 VXR 5dr  2006 (56 reg), Hatchback
FULL BLACK RECARO LEATHER
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Vauxhall Signum 3.2 V6 Elite 5dr Auto hopefully about 2007?

3.2 V6 Signum (or Vectra C) is not available in facelift - 54ish plate onwards, they dropped it in favour of the 2.8 V6 Turbo.

Ive owned a 3.2 V6 and currently own a 2.8 V6 Signums of the 2 the 2.8 is better of the two, the thing to look for is that engine has a small issue with chain stretch, Vectra & Insignia VXRs have had most of the issues, some have high millage, some low, some tuned some not, some 255 some 280's have gone, there is no pattern to it, BUT I've not heard any issues with the 230bhp version yet, even though its effectively the same engine.

Listen for a rattle on start up and during tick over.

Chains and tensioners are not a service item, apparently never need changing

Coil packs can go, there are 6 individual packs, about £80-100 each in the UK or £190ish for all 6 from the USA delivered including import tax!

Purge valves 'fail', basically the car will run and start fine, but when you fill up with petrol its turns over for about 6-7sconds before firing up, it ONLY happens when you fill up and you won't know its a problem on the test drive unless you want to put some petrol in it - new valve is less then £30 and takes 20 mins to fit

Apart form that its just the standard wear problems. The base engine is used alot in America and Australia and used in the SAAB 9-3/ 9-5

The bonus is no matter what version you go for - 230, 255 or 280bhp, a simple remap will give close to 290bhp and 400lb-ft on all of them :-)

Remember any of them registered after 23rd March 2006 is in the £490 tax band, but mine is an 06 registered on 21st March 2006 so comes in at £280/ year :-)

Another point, save money, don't buy the VXR it'll be around £5k and up, elite spec cars with same engine and more toys will be around half the price! VXR's are not all as well spec'e as you might hope

Before I got the Signum I was looking at the 3ltr ST220 and X type, couldn't really find anything 'major' wrong just they were considerably more expensive than the Signum/ Vectra of same age and same miles
« Last Edit: 29 July 2014, 10:32:26 by Phil »

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 29 July 2014, 10:35:59 »

Out of that list...

The Legend will be nice, a bit plasticky inside, but generally dull. Think underated cheap Lexus.

The CLK will be rotten.

A4s are actually quite small, so of those two, the A6 would be the better choice, but they do tend to be overpriced...

The Mundeo is horribly built from horrible materials.

Signum is a good choice for summat quirky, and apart from being WWD, the Vectra is a pretty good effort. Worth noting though that Elite spec is auto only, so if you want a manual, then you're limited to the VXR or ex plod :-\

Jusme

• Omega Knight
    • Lexus LS430
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 July 2014, 23:29:19 »

How many cars do you need Glad I didn't mention the 3 motorbikes..  ;) Not need TB but have... Thanks for an informative post Phil, the tax isn't an issue, I get it gratis.. Nice one Al, I like the look of the Legend, but am concerned about the amount of toys, makes an Elite look totally 'Basic'. Plus the fact that they were only brought here for a couple of years ending I think in 2009. So where are the Honda mechanics conversant with the model, but more worryingly, absolutely no chance of your local independant being able to sort it. CLK is 'ruled out'. Like the A6 but was shocked at one advert I saw, 'cambelt service in 2012 at a cost of £1870'.. :o Blimey!! Back to the drawing board about the Mondeo. Quite like the Signum but don't want an 'oil burner', which seems to be the most available?  Unless you want to go pre 2005. Thanks for replies fellas.. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.