Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: gearbox oil change  (Read 3219 times)

nigsey1600e

• leicsester
    • View Profile
gearbox oil change
« on: 21 September 2006, 17:58:32 »

Hi to all

just thought i would let you know how i got on today changing my auto gearbox oil today

Had a day off work today as i am going on holiday tomorrow to weymouth so i thought i would give my megga a good going over cleaning etc,  Anyway got carried away and ended up doing oil and all the fillters engine and diff (sucked out the diff oil with a old bike pump very messy) and i thought sod it i will have a go the same way with the auto box (even more messy and have not got a nasty burn on my elbow from the cats >:() sucked most of the oil i could and replaced with new filled up till it run runs out with engine running on level ground. cleaned my self up and went for a spin.

I can not  now belive the differance in the gearbox now  the changes under normal driving are totally unnoticeable  and not much differant under load the whole drive now feels much smoother i am really pleased with the rsults and strongly recommend everbody doing this very easy to do and the results are amazing :)

cheers neil

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: gearbox oil change
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2006, 18:19:22 »

Not starting-off another oil thread, which ATF did you use?

Alas, no more Omegas....

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2006, 18:21:50 »

Good to hear it has such a positive result for you. :)

Gearbox and diff oil.... truly foul smelling stuff!  >:(

I have to do the same to mine, I will drop the sump though and change the filter while I am at it.
Really not a job I am looking forward to...
The Administrator.

nigsey1600e

• leicsester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2006, 18:36:56 »

Not starting-off another oil thread, which ATF did you use?

duckhams atf 111   £5.49 a litre in my local factors only used that as that was all they had enough of

the diff oil was a real pain to pump  out i would recomend anybody else to do it warm.

i did think about dropping the gearbox sump and changing the fiters although at  only 80k i did not think it nessary and my old oil came out nice clean still red
« Last Edit: 21 September 2006, 18:56:14 by nigsey1600e »

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 September 2006, 23:09:01 »

Good price, that... they are usally £8-£9 per litre at Petrol Stations, and not available on Trade Club. Did you check how much you managed to pump out? Or alternatively how much did you need to add? Would be interesting to check this compared to the full capacity 4.4L.

Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Alas, no more Omegas....

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
  • .:The OmegaProject:.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 September 2006, 23:53:54 »

Interesting....

http://www.trueshopping.co.uk/product/Sealey_Oil_Suction_Syringe/21671/21671.html

Now that does look handy, and only 12 quid!  :o
OmegaProject.co.uk .:.  Fuelled with passion...
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 September 2006, 23:57:55 »

I am tempted... changing gear oil without dropping the sump... hmmm.... it won't get out the ATF from the small sump though. I didn't get a reply to my question regarding the capacity of old ATF he managed to extract this way (or how much he had to top it back up).

Alas, no more Omegas....

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 September 2006, 23:59:48 »

I am tempted... changing gear oil without dropping the sump... hmmm.... it won't get out the ATF from the small sump though. I didn't get a reply to my question regarding the capacity of old ATF he managed to extract this way (or how much he had to top it back up).

Even if you got most of it out before dropping the sump, it'd still be a whole lot less messy.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 September 2006, 10:55:50 »

Even if you got most of it out before dropping the sump, it'd still be a whole lot less messy.

So I have to pay for both the syringe AND the gasket set? hmmm...  ;D

But yes it does make sense.

Alas, no more Omegas....

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
  • AAARRRRGGGGGGGGG, IT'S WAS ONLY A GLS!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 September 2006, 10:56:51 »

Practical Classics did a product test on fluid extractors this month. The best buy was from www.screwfix.com and cost £39.99 (item no. 21663) It's a bit dearer than the Sealey one but could be worth a look too. They also recommended the Draper 73291 but bloody expensive at £73.45! Mind you, it can also be used for draining engine oil, bleeding brakes etc.

Cheers Jim
The fleet consists of a Singer Chamois Coupe, an Imp based kit car - BS Nymph, and a Kawasaki GPZ 900R (& a Toyota RAV4 LPG for the work horse!)

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 September 2006, 11:08:09 »

You dont need any of that expensive rubbish.

Equipment

20ft Garden Hose
One wife/Girlfriend

To do the job place one end of garden house in gearbox and the other in wifes/girlfriend mouth. Now I always find the wife/girlfriend will ask "whats this for" just tell them because you love them so much you thought you would get them a nice drink and to save having to get up and down the other end is in the bottle. Now because there is 20ft of hose that should be enough to empty the gearbox without it reaching the wifes/girlfriends mouth but do keep an eye out just in case or divorce or prison could follow. PS I always keep a bottle of my wifes favorite tipple handy as a reward for a job well done ;)
Retired

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 September 2006, 11:13:24 »

Equipment

20ft Garden Hose
One wife/Girlfriend

To do the job place one end of garden house in gearbox and the other in wifes/girlfriend mouth. Now I always find the wife/girlfriend will ask "whats this for" just tell them because you love them so much you thought you would get them a nice drink and to save having to get up and down the other end is in the bottle. Now because there is 20ft of hose that should be enough to empty the gearbox without it reaching the wifes/girlfriends mouth but do keep an eye out just in case or divorce or prison could follow. PS I always keep a bottle of my wifes favorite tipple handy as a reward for a job well done ;)
As long as she remembers to suck and not blow.  ;D

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 September 2006, 11:24:50 »

Equipment

20ft Garden Hose
One wife/Girlfriend

pmsl  ;D

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 September 2006, 11:35:07 »

Equipment

20ft Garden Hose
One wife/Girlfriend

To cure this I find a quick flick of the adams apple normally works. you can use this in other situations as well ;)
Retired
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.