Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NHS 70th Birthday  (Read 1546 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
NHS 70th Birthday
« on: 05 July 2018, 23:53:37 »

Happy Birthday NHS!  :)  :-*

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: NHS 70th Birthday
« Reply #1 on: 05 July 2018, 23:57:01 »

Why are they making such a big thing about it being 70 years since the NHS was established?  ???

I don't remember such a fuss about the NHS's 40th, 50th or 60th birthdays.  :-\

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 July 2018, 00:15:06 »

A big PR job, especially from the Beeb. After all ,the Labour party owns the NHS in case any of us could ever forget.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 July 2018, 00:21:20 »

A big PR job, especially from the Beeb. After all ,the Labour party owns the NHS in case any of us could ever forget.  ::)

Ooooo are we having a GE?  ???  ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 July 2018, 00:46:08 »

Excellent, the Lady bitss can pay for it then ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 July 2018, 08:17:18 »

If Comrades Corbyn and McDonnell get in we'll all be paying (dearly) for it!  :P

Tripling of Council Tax anyone?  ???  ::)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 July 2018, 08:38:21 »

The NHS has become a huge political football, and the left in particular are milking it. Some of my views

The NHS is the biggest employer in the World, it is also one of the most wasteful and inefficient. I worked in it for 10 years, and then ran a company supplying it for another 30+ yrs. The amount of cash wasted is phenomenal.

People bang on about "Privatisation" of the NHS, but never clarify this. Generally this simply means that a service or specific function would be provided by a privately owned organisation but paid for by the NHS. This already happens to a significant extent. For example small clinics may be run by a private company that has a few articulated trucks that set up somewhere, run the clinics and then move on somewhere else. Or, the same thing may happen in a specifically sectioned off block in an NHS hospital. Mobile scanning units are almost never owned by the NHS, they are private. So what ? I don't give a toss if a service is NHS or private as long it is free to the patient at the point of delivery and the service is good and reliable.

NHS The Envy of the world. Really ? So In all other European countries people are dying on the streets and being denied healthcare as they can't pay ? Utter 'dangle berries'. The only broken healthcare system in a major Western country is the USA.

Grrrrrrr  I could go on for a VERY long time

Don't get me wrong, I am a big supporter of the NHS, but so much BS is being spouted

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 July 2018, 19:20:54 »

Most European countries have more efficient provision of healthcare through a mix of private / public provision with each part keeping the other competitive in terms of quality of provision, successful outcomes and costs which are free or nominal priced at the point of access depending on the country.

In the UK we have the worst with our two systems with the NHS the monopoly Stalinist based supplier, where like in communist countries budgets are decided and funds are misallocated by supposed all seeing, all wise jobsworth committees as part of their 5 year plan. Patients have to be grateful for what they get or not and to the staff you are a nuisance as you are using up precious time and are depleting their precious budgets which they would rather use in other ways. Only personal professional pride and personal job satisfaction will decide whether they treat you well, badly or not at all as it is neither here nor there, at the monthly salary will always safely arrive at the end of the month regardless. You to them are in a queue of NHS numbers and woe betide if you are the last patient at the end of a long day (I've been there with this one) as they can't get you out of the door fast enough with a fob off. :( There is zero patient-NHS provision where drugs or new treatments haven't been approved by another committee called NICE, you cannot for instance pay for the drugs and get the NHS to administer the treatment with them. The private system only covers first instance acute not chronic conditions if you have health insurance, ie no pre-existing conditions are ever covered, you have to be an open ended cash buyer, which limits it to the very rich beyond minor treatment and many conditions are just not covered or available anyway. There is much health tourism from the UK especially to Eastern Europe and especially for dental work which is either not generally available on the NHS here as most lists are always closed or have a 6 months+ waiting list or alternatively you have prohibitively priced private dental practices where a private UK dentist will expect to earn north of £0.5m pa. :(

All in all a typical dog's dinner of a system, which when viewed through the eyes of the mess they are making of Brexit is about what you can expect in the UK from our utter shite politicians. Most things that involve the dead hand of government, local government, are semi or fully privatised from former state monopolies are generally over priced and utter shite. This list includes: Water, Energy, Transport, Telecoms, Police, declining armed forces since 1991, local government services including property planning permission etc, etc.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 July 2018, 22:16:16 »

Most  . . . .

And breathe in . . . . . . .

One thing I know is that in the past there was a good working atmosphere and attitude among all levels of staff who just wanted to achieve the best result for the patient, enjoyed doing it, and got immense job satisfaction. The introduction of the corporate approach to management stopped all that, mostly under Mr Blair. A major job requirement was the ability to do a good Powerpoint presentation and to use a lot of words to say very little.

However, waiting lists did drop with the imposition of targets, but at the expense of real dedication by many staff.

An ageing population and immigration has not helped, along with severe abuse of the the healthcare system by "patients"

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 July 2018, 22:28:30 »

No nhs type dental treatment in Spain. Just good value for money efficient well equipped private practice. Prices much lower than uk private. No dental receptionist. Dental assistant answers phones in between tasks.

Mrs V needed physio after a foot injury and the doctor said you can have it free on Spanish Health but have to wait months or-go private. We opted for thelatter and got great results. Never once did anyone say how much it would cost. It was with trepidation that we asked for the bill thinking it might be hundreds. From memory it as about 8 euros a session.

How come quite a few European states have lower death rates for people who have heart attacks? Has the UK sent someone to look at best practice?

On a positive note i have been super impressed with how my dad and others were processed on Tuesday for cataract. Process is much improved compared to only ffour years when my mum went. They dosix in the morning and six in the afternoon each day. Aftercare and advise is excellent. In fact I popped in to ask about something today while I was with another relative in A and E. The nurse dealing with the A and E stayed on after her shift was finished to see the patient through to being discharged. Her bedside manner was a1 after a days work there. The kicker was the patient could have been treated at the care home by someone from the nhs. Sadly the system is grared for get an ambulance........

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 July 2018, 08:03:57 »

I think the NHS is a system of which we should be proud :y Sadly I fear it is broken beyond repair.Too many chiefs and not enough Indians for a start.The "frontline"staff-doctors nurses-do what must be a hugely stressful job with a heck of a lot of dedication and have my utmost admiration for doing so :y :y :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 July 2018, 10:17:14 »

Happy Birthday NHS!  :)  :-*
And should have been put to sleep 15yrs ago.  But lazy journos and pathetic childish opposition means it becomes number 1 priority.
Grumpy old man

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 July 2018, 11:53:56 »

What I have previously written reflects my personal experiences, with the occasional dedicated (generally younger) staff putting more effort in over the incumbents, where you get paid regardless on how badly you treat patients, which we would not put up with if it was a multiple sourced competitive industry, free at the point of access, so the hospital, GPs etc of our choice are paid for treatment by the government which is largely how the much superior French system works. :y The doctor that saved my eyes was always totally rude and obnoxious towards me where he had to work late to do so and always let me know that. As I needed the treatment and had no alternatives with this single sourced system I had no choice but to bite my tongue. In a multiple sourced system it would have given me great pleasure to tell him to flip off I'm taking my business elsewhere.

The hospital time limits for there performance bonuses are a total farce, where you get to see anybody if the discipline you need has no budget or no staff available, until such time, if ever, they are available within the time limit as explained by one experated doctor, who was seeing patients that he could not treat, but the patients were staying within the time limit. Our local hospital trust comes out as one of the best in the UK, so all I can say is good luck if you are in a bad area.

At my local hospital my notes are a paper folder which grew rapidly in size with my severe adverse reaction to the flu vaccine. My local useless GP surgery uses an electronic system, but the only communication by the GPs and the hospital is the occasional physical letter. I'm sure this system was set up in the 19th century and while the rest of the world has changed dramatically where we are now in the 21st for the very much better, the NHS and its predecessors have all been left behind. The NHS administration percentage of the budget spent is one of the highest in the world. It reminds me of the man trying to chop down a tree with a very blunt axe, when a passer by suggests he stops chopping at the tree and sharpens his axe, he retorts that cutting down the tree is going to take so long he hasn't got time for that. :o :o :o

My local GP surgery is a local monopoly where they own both surgeries covering over 20,000 patients and unlike virtually all other 21st century businesses it has no demand management with standard hours worked all the year round. This means that in the summer they are very underutilised, you can walk in and get an almost immediate appointment, where between 8:30 and 12 they will only have a smattering of patients and in the winter the longest wait I have had to see a GP has been just under 12 weeks (there advance appointment limit), 6 weeks to see any GP unless it is an emergency and then if you are lucky you may get an appointment in 2-3 weeks in normal every year from December to the beginning of March. >:( >:( >:(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.