Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Care crisis  (Read 4919 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Care crisis
« on: 29 May 2019, 22:43:34 »

Where is the money going to come from to care for the elderly and the disadvantaged?

How come there is less per head in England than in Wales or Scotland ( where I have noticed everything is free!)? Joking apart from personal family experience care is a problem even in Scotland.

More tax? Keep it the same?

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: Care crisis
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2019, 11:27:46 »

Where is the money going to come from to care for the elderly and the disadvantaged?

That's easy: the millenials, and the generations that come after. All the main parties are scared sh!tless of losing the grey vote, which is why they've cut working-age benefits, youth services spending, school funcing etc. etc. Even tax breaks on pension saving is less generous than it used to be. At the same time, they are extremely keen on maintaining the unaffordable triple lock on pensions and other benefits for wealthy OAPs.

What you have at the moment are a generation that retired early, retired healthy and retired (comparatively) wealthy. Unfortunately, the baby boomers are going to be a growing burden on the state for the next 20-30yrs until nature takes its course. By the time my generation gets there, there will be less pension money and less state spending on health. So it should begin to balance out.

How come there is less per head in England than in Wales or Scotland ( where I have noticed everything is free!)? Joking apart from personal family experience care is a problem even in Scotland.

Because since devolution, the provinces have had more money to spend on pretty much everything ;-). Its one of the reasons the whole Indy Ref business is so ill-thought-out - they won't admit it, but they need the english cash cow to keep on providing.  :y

« Last Edit: 30 May 2019, 11:30:11 by jimmy944 »

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2019, 12:16:27 »

Luckily my father in law is only spending £910 a week on his care home fees , absolute bargain  >:(

aaronjb

« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2019, 13:01:02 »

What you have at the moment are a generation that retired early, retired healthy and retired (comparatively) wealthy. Unfortunately, the baby boomers are going to be a growing burden on the state for the next 20-30yrs until nature takes its course. By the time my generation gets there, there will be less pension money and less state spending on health. So it should begin to balance out.

You're younger than me, IIRC? In which case let me fix that for you:

By the time my generation gets there, there will be no pension money and no state spending on health, and we'll all be living in caves.

:y ;)

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2019, 13:10:19 »

By the time my generation gets there, there will be no pension money and no state spending on health, and we'll all be living in caves.

Will there be enough caves? I'm not so sure. Perhaps we should start excavating them now.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2019, 14:05:27 »

Its an impossible problem to solve imo. It used to be the case that in most cases, families would take care of their elderly relatives when they need taking care of.
They usually all lived quite close to one another and felt obliged to do this.
The situation with families now is very different for a variety of reasons, and the cost to the state to look after all of us when we are old is always going to be prohibitive.  :(
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2019, 14:32:48 »

Sounds about right!

I'm 35 (just) which is depressing as it puts you in a different box on the government forms.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2019, 14:35:30 »

Sounds about right!

I'm 35 (just) which is depressing as it puts you in a different box on the government forms.

Don't worry. I'm approaching a much more depressing box in 1 year and 3 months time, not that I'm counting. :o
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2019, 14:48:01 »

Both of you need to look on the bright side ...

At least it's not a wooden box! ;)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2019, 15:04:46 »

Sounds about right!

Don't worry. I'm approaching a much more depressing box in 1 year and 3 months time, not that I'm counting. :o

Is that the one that just ends in a + sign?

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2019, 15:15:53 »

Im less than half a year away from 60 ! It doesn't seem more than a few years ago that I came to England just before my 20th birthday.
The scary thing is that the older I get, the quicker the time goes.  ::)
I shall soon be sat by the sunny window with a bit of potato stuck to my chin.  :D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2019, 15:22:38 »

Im less than half a year away from 60 ! It doesn't seem more than a few years ago that I came to England just before my 20th birthday.
I shall soon be sat by the sunny window with a bit of potato stuck to my chin.  :D
Nah youwill be on the keyboard googling Brexit.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2019, 15:39:27 »

Hope so.  :y ;D

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2019, 16:56:19 »

I can't believe you've all seemed to overlook the answer to solving all the crises[NHS/police/care of the elderly etc etc]simply vote for Corbyn he and his cronies have forests full of magic money trees and once he's in No 10 all problems will be solved :D :D :-X

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 May 2019, 17:35:38 »

Me too :-X :-X
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 21 queries.