Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: My black 2.6 CDX  (Read 6209 times)

Supernaut

• Aberdeen
    • 2001 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
My black 2.6 CDX
« on: 10 April 2016, 16:02:52 »

Hi, I thought I'd start a proper topic for my car at some point.

It's a 2001 X 2.6 CDX (I think, going by the thread describing the trim levels, can't tell due to it being debadged) with a rather fruity exhaust fitted by the previous owner, plus some Elite alloys too.

I have a couple of questions to ask the people of this forum though,

- Automatic gearbox software. I saw mention of updating it in a thread, is there anybody in NE Scotland who can do it?
 - It seems to have a little bit of camber on the rear wheels. I've been led to believe this is to do with some bushes in the rear suspension, any more pointers on this? Fairly confident doing some DIY on it, I used to own a 1999 Audi A4 Quattro and did a lot of suspension work on that sod myself!
 - I've heard these engines like to sludge up their oil sometimes, so it's wise to take the sump off and have a look. Is it a nasty job on this or straightforward enough?

I intend to drive it to Buckinghamshire (500 miles each way) in late June, so want to get it properly fettled beforehand! Admittedly, I bought it in Northampton and drove it up here having done nothing to it, so meh!
« Last Edit: 10 April 2016, 16:05:19 by Supernaut »

Muroman

• Intermediate Member
  • Finland
  • Cars for life
    • Vectra -02
    • View Profile
Re: My black 2.6 CDX
« Reply #1 on: 11 April 2016, 07:43:18 »

Hi!

I like it very much, seems like good taken care of :)

So umm I've had only 2 omegas myself but I can say that if sludge in the camcovers(and I mean it's visible in the oil filler cap) and its driven short trips its probably just that it needs oil changed mor often.

If sludge in the oil stick its everywhere and you may have to suspect some problems, I had head gasket failure and as I was doing the job I removed the lower oil sump too and there was a lot of sludge. And ever since it's been clean. You can maybe manage with just few oil changes to get it clean.

Lower oil sump is very easy job to take off. I snapped two bolts but that might be just me :)

And what comes to camber on the back I would just say that it is a feature :)

Can't say nothing about gearbox it is still uknown area for me :)

-Mika
Driving: Vectra - 2002 - 2.2 "GTS" - Manual
Old: Omega - 1999 - MV6 - Automatic
Old: Omega - 1995 - MV6 - Manual

Supernaut

• Aberdeen
    • 2001 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2016, 12:02:11 »

Aye, this had a tiny bit of sludge in the filler cap when I first got it, but driving it from Northampton up to Aberdeen soon got rid of that!

I use it for a 50/50 mix of short runs (1-2 miles) and decent runs (over 30 miles), and it doesn't seem to be sludging up again. I don't commute in it as I live less than a mile from my work, so cycle. It's purely a weekend car!

The rear camber is an odd one. It's not like it's got loads of camber, it's just noticeable when compared to the front wheels. It looks even on both rear wheels though, so I'm going to go with it being 'a feature' as you said.  :)

baggedestate

• Intermediate Member
  • Gillingham kent
    • 3.2 estate ex police
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 April 2016, 14:39:57 »

looks very clean and nice :)

migiestate

• Intermediate Member
  • Liverpool
    • 03 Omega 2.2 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 April 2016, 20:13:06 »

Great looking car . I really like it.  :y

Supernaut

• Aberdeen
    • 2001 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2016, 11:05:16 »

Thanks for the compliments folks!

I've 'de-chavved' it since I got it though. It came with a blacked-out Opel grille, and Opel centre caps on the wheels, but the original grille and centre caps were provided. I fitted those in short order!
The boot is de-badged because I took the Opel badge off and realised I didn't have a Vauxhall one to go on, and the steering wheel still has an Opel badge...
It actually had tinted number plates too! I thought they looked somewhat illegal, so again, those were replaced very quickly!

I was actually looking for a 3.2 but couldn't find a good one. This thing still isn't exactly slow though!

Quick question though, where would I find my engine number? I've been looking at oil, oil fiters and sump plugs on euro car parts but they have two variations of everything, depending on before or after a certain engine number. The oil filters are definitely different. One is an element insert and one is a whole screw-on filter!  ???

Admittedly, once I'm at home later I'll just open the bonnet and look at what type of oil filter it has. That'll more than likely answer my questions.

Also, my headlight washers don't seem to be working. I did try them with the lights switched on (as the manual says) and they still didn't spray. Usual suspects for that? It makes me wonder if they're even connected, as the reg number for this comes up as a CD spec, but it seems to be a CDX as it has cruise control and HID lights. Perhaps they were fitted at a later date? The cruise control works fine, but I wonder if the HID lights were a half-arsed job where they just whacked on the bumper with the washers but didn't bother connecting them...
EDIT: After looking at the thread about trim levels, I think it is a CD with stuff added, as I don't have a sunroof either. I wonder how much work it is to remove aftermarket HIDs and just whack in some Osram Nightbreakers instead...
« Last Edit: 12 April 2016, 11:20:14 by Supernaut »

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2016, 16:24:24 »

Buy the service items from Vauxhall... cheap enough if you ask nicely :y

Also PM Jimbob with the reg and he will be able to look up the build data and confirm how it left the factory :y

Supernaut

• Aberdeen
    • 2001 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 April 2016, 17:54:07 »

Well I'm fairly certain it's a CD now.

The HIDs are a snake's nest of wires and only fitted to the dipped beams. D'oh! Removing them ASAP.

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 12 April 2016, 21:04:31 »

Well I'm fairly certain it's a CD now.

The HIDs are a snake's nest of wires and only fitted to the dipped beams. D'oh! Removing them ASAP.
Xenon only replace the dipped beams... Main beam still halogen... Xenon give a significantly better light, bodged in or not ::)

Supernaut

• Aberdeen
    • 2001 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 April 2016, 10:32:33 »

They do indeed give a better light...

Hmm. Well I may just leave them as removing the bodge looks like a lot of work for not much gain.

STEMO

« Reply #10 on: 13 April 2016, 16:44:22 »

They do indeed give a better light...

Hmm. Well I may just leave them as removing the bodge looks like a lot of work for not much gain.
No gain. Loss, in fact.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 April 2016, 08:43:29 »

Must admit I've never looked but do they have separate pumps for windscreen and headlights?If separate check filter on h/light pump as I believe these can block up.Assuming power is getting to pump check pump works,and then check tubing from pump to washers in bumper for kinks/splits/other.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 April 2016, 11:01:12 »

Must admit I've never looked but do they have separate pumps for windscreen and headlights?If separate check filter on h/light pump as I believe these can block up.Assuming power is getting to pump check pump works,and then check tubing from pump to washers in bumper for kinks/splits/other.

Separate pumps for screen & headlamps  :y

Supernaut

• Aberdeen
    • 2001 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 April 2016, 13:07:42 »

Now this I did not know!

Where abouts would this pump be located?

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 15 April 2016, 13:45:20 »

Next to the screen pump... Obvious difference is the thicker plumbing... 1/2" iirc
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.