Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Anti Freeze is Important??  (Read 7084 times)

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
Why Anti Freeze is Important??
« on: 02 August 2012, 11:21:10 »

I am fixing a members car, which had a few signs of a head gasket problem. Water loss (but could not see where from) plus quiet a bit of steam out of the exhaust.. although, the car was not missing....

When I pressurised the coolant system, I could see no leaks at all, until water was passing my feet..... I looked under the car to find water pouring out of the centre boxes of the exhaust... I removed the spark plugs to find water was coming up two plug wells. I removed the Plenum which was full of water, the bagpipes too....Also water was coming past valves and filling Three inlets..

So yet again another V6 having seemingly a Head Gasket problem.....

A number of times now I have been told that "There is no need to swap head gaskets in a pair!" I have heard people have had work done on here, where only one side has being changed.... Have a look at this picture of one sides head gasket... what do you think the other side will be like?? Don't forget the pair have probably never been changed, they also share the same water/anti freeze....

Just too add, the Oil Cooler was rusty as sin and so was the Water Pump impeller :(

A few more pictures.

« Last Edit: 02 August 2012, 11:29:28 by Darth Loo-knee »
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

mantahatch

Re: Why Anti Freeze is Important??
« Reply #1 on: 02 August 2012, 11:49:52 »

I am sorry to say it but if that was my engine it would be in the scrap yard.

feeutfo

« Reply #2 on: 02 August 2012, 11:53:18 »

So run with just water.  ???

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 August 2012, 12:03:16 »

People seem to forget, that anti freeze not only stops your car from freezing up like its name says, but is an anti corrosive too.
This car is a 3.0 Facelift so not the 1998 problem year with head gaskets...

We dont know how someone has serviced your car before we buy it. Full Vauxhall Service History aint worth the paper its written on, thats being proved more times than we can shake a stick at...

Me personally , I believe this engine when finished will be near as good as new. What servicing it gets from here after is the key.
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 August 2012, 12:03:38 »

Yuk! I have to say I'm surprised that you got the gasket came off in one piece  :y. When we lifted a head on Scott's car, the gasket came off bits, mostly the inner bit with the fire rings & a hand full off gasket material. 

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 August 2012, 12:05:47 »

People seem to forget, that anti freeze not only stops your car from freezing up like its name says, but is an anti corrosive too.

This used to be a problem years ago eg Triumph's V6 when people just put anti-freeze in during the winter, I thought that people were wiser these days .............. seems not though.  ::) ::)

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2012, 12:11:16 »

If you look at the head gasket, part of the firing ring is missing.... I have seen no end of head gaskets looking a state but not the firing rings on an Omega..

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 August 2012, 12:14:35 »

I have had fun with bolts breaking in the heads when removing the exhaust manifolds too ::) I have counted to ten several times doing this little beauty... Glad I don't have a swearbox ;D

albitz

« Reply #8 on: 02 August 2012, 12:26:19 »

All for the want of a bit of basic regular servicing. ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 August 2012, 12:29:43 »

This used to be a problem years ago eg Triumph's V8 when people just put anti-freeze in during the winter, I thought that people were wiser these days .............. seems not though.  ::) ::)

:y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

waspy

« Reply #10 on: 02 August 2012, 12:31:46 »

Rather you than me Daz. I hope you don't scrape your knuckles too many times :'(

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 August 2012, 12:33:19 »

This used to be a problem years ago eg Triumph's V8 when people just put anti-freeze in during the winter, I thought that people were wiser these days .............. seems not though.  ::) ::)

:y

Well done Kevin  :y ................... you spotted my deliberate mistake  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 August 2012, 17:58:37 »

Blimey, with that amount of water in the inlets, surely the cylinders would be pretty full :o. How come its not hydraulic'd itself  :-\

Another, very dramatic/obvious/descriptive/visible reason why a proper 50:50 antifreeze mix is utterly critical, no matter what the temperature :y
Grumpy old man

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 August 2012, 18:16:33 »

Not as bad and as expensive as Loo Knees but the same cause. Oil cooler cover plate ::)

Retired

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 August 2012, 19:13:26 »

I have had fun with bolts breaking in the heads when removing the exhaust manifolds too ::) I have counted to ten several times doing this little beauty... Glad I don't have a swearbox ;D

At least that happened as part of a job when the heads were coming off anyway. It's not that bad a job to sort out when they're on the bench.
I'd hate to drill out and helicoil(if necessary) exhaust studs on the car.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.