Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cycles on Roof Rack  (Read 2533 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Cycles on Roof Rack
« on: 30 August 2012, 15:38:40 »

Anyone transported bikes on a roof rack? I've got a very old boot mounted carrier, which says its for 2 bikes, but no way can I get two on. Also worried about the weight on the very old straps, also the lower straps have to attach near the exhaust  :o

Plus fact you cannot open the boot once secure, I'm looking at a new way to transport them.

I have the genuine Vauxhall roof bars, was wondering if anyone has used these before:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_251037_langId_-1_categoryId_165477

Reviews are generally very positive, thinking of getting a pair of them to take two bikes on the roof.

Anyone got any experience in this?

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
Re: Cycles on Roof Rack
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2012, 15:45:07 »

Have you got a tow bar?
Retired

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2012, 15:46:54 »

Not on any of the Saloons, the Estate has, but that's MotherTs.

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2012, 15:49:39 »

Retired

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2012, 15:52:58 »

Looks good, but no tow bar here  :(

Want something for the Saloon really, as I'm planning to do other trips with MrsT.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 August 2012, 17:19:52 »

I have used those Halford cycle carriers over the years when my daughters were young and wanted bikes to be taken to France and the like.

On the plus side you can get things in /out of boot easier but they do make the car pretty " tall " and it does have the tendency to make them sway around with cross winds as they are only really held in place by the center arm onto the frame in 1 place.

If I was doing it all again I would opt for the tow bar mounting even if it ment fitting the towabr assembly as its much easier to get them on/off..no issues with height..access still to boot and keeps the car more "car like".

End of the day its cost against how much use it will get..and also distance being covered too.

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 August 2012, 17:20:49 »

I often used the Halfords type carrier - I had 3 and used to carry 3 bikes. My car was an estate but if you have roof bars there will be no problem. Used them whilst towing the tin shed on holidays many times including France.

Regards

Steve
Previous
Omega 2.5 GLS Auto Estate         S115 JVV
Omega 3.0 Elite  Auto Estate        T639 TFA

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 August 2012, 17:34:33 »

I often used the Halfords type carrier - I had 3 and used to carry 3 bikes. My car was an estate but if you have roof bars there will be no problem. Used them whilst towing the tin shed on holidays many times including France.

Regards

Steve

Same here.  :y Never had a problem with them. Straps hold wheels to channel and they always seemed safe enough. I prefer this set-up after one of my straps on my Thule boot carrier came loose.  :o :o

Tunnie, I've still got a pair of them in my garage if you want to trial them. I can't let you have them to keep in case I need them someday but you are welcome to borrow them to see how you get on with them.  :y
Just remember to avoid multi-storey car parks.  ::) ::) ;D ;D

Regards
Alan

My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

feeutfo

« Reply #8 on: 30 August 2012, 18:59:34 »

If your in the 3.2 just remove the front wheels off the bikes, and fold the rear seats down. You can get two in there.

Not satisfactory for regular use really as stuff gets scratched and oily chains get every where.

Roof bars can take two on thier own, turn the bikes upside down and space the roof bars do the saddle and handle bars can be strapped on.

Although for regular use, I'd invest in the Halfords link you posted. Just look out for maxhead room signs. The type that guard the entrance to to car parks in popular cycle route locations.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 August 2012, 22:26:04 »

Used the roof bars/cycle carriers with no problems at all ... although I do strap the bikes together and run a strap around the roofbox ... initially for extra security but I found it held the biked more rigid and stopped the swaying ....

All the way to southern France and back ....

(that's an oldish picture with the old 'van)

:)
« Last Edit: 30 August 2012, 22:28:58 by Entwood »

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 August 2012, 22:52:41 »

I've got one of these and it was brilliant the one and only time I used it ;D

http://www.tesco.com/direct/thule-rideon-2-bike-towball-mounted-bike-carrier/204-3095.prd?skuId=204-3095&pageLevel=

That's interesting and I notice it works on a swan neck tow bar, how? why does in not just 'float around on the ball'? as I have that type of tow bar but the bike rack would be handy..... :) :) :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 August 2012, 08:55:44 »

Thanks everyone!

YZ250 - Very kind offer thank-you. As I'm in London at moment, I think by the time I've driven to your way and back again & then returning them, with the cost in fuel means I might as well buy my own. But its a very kind offer thank you  :y

To other questions, yes I'm using my 3.2 Saloon. Using up the boot is not an option really, as that will be full of camping gear (tent/bbq/chairs ect)

So need to go onto the roof, those reviews were generally good, just some said about the brackets being too small for the bars. I know the Omega ones are quite small, just wanted to see if they would fit ok.

PTR

• UK
    • 2 LITRE GLS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 September 2012, 08:37:09 »

I've used roof mount and towbar. Both have been fine, but i prefer the towbar mount, you just have to make sure that you don't need to open the boot until you arrive. Roof mount is unerving if you have a sunroof, you can see the bikes moving around, but i soon learnt to ignore it. Bear in mind that with either system the securing straps go around the bike wheels, so make sure you don't have a slow puncture.

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 September 2012, 10:57:15 »

I've also got one of those that clamps to the tow bar (would need to carry a stepladder to get the bikes on the roof of my Range Rover). Mine holds three bikes and clamps to my swan neck towbar. Very secure-but make sure there is no oil or grease on the towbar.
You can tilt the whole lot so that you can open the tailgate or boot with the bikes attached.
Steve
Previous
Omega 2.5 GLS Auto Estate         S115 JVV
Omega 3.0 Elite  Auto Estate        T639 TFA

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 September 2012, 11:03:47 »

Think if I had an estate I would fit a tow bar, but for now with limited funds roof mount is way to go. That said weather reports for next weekend don't look great, so might not go at-all  :(
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.