Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil consumption problem  (Read 4241 times)

grain.ben

Oil consumption problem
« on: 17 November 2012, 13:29:26 »

I was having another mooch under the bonnet just now, and noticed there is a couple of, what looks to be, oil leaks, again  :( , there are no dripping leaks, but it seems to be going through oil like mad, I only do between 300-500 miles a month and im topping it up 1 liter every month. I dont think its burning oil, and there are no drips under the car, so im stuck as to whats going on.

Here are a couple of piccys, first one seems to be coming from the sump breather pipe somewhere and very very slowly, ending up on the exhaust manifold heat shield.

The next one is oil around the throttle body (maybe thats why the spanner light came on the other morning, but dont know)

I believe this is probably the beathers blocked again and need to take them off, clean, and give it an oil and filter change.

On this picture, the small breather pipe that runs to the throttle body was the one that was blocked last time, the others were ok. So, id better take it off and check. I squeezed it and it felt really soft, so does that pipe need replacing?

So, the main question is, why am i topping up 1 liter of oil for every 500 miles driven when there are no big oil leaks.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Oil consumption problem
« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2012, 13:37:46 »

So, the main question is, why am i topping up 1 liter of oil for every 500 miles driven when there are no big oil leaks.

Thats some very heavy oil use, I change oil on my 2.2 every 3k or so, never needs topping up. Its well used as well at 158k, but from those photos that won't account for that amount of lost oil.

Any blue smoke on start up?

Oil filter/drain plug all secure & dry?

grain.ben

« Reply #2 on: 17 November 2012, 13:40:57 »

Thats some very heavy oil use, I change oil on my 2.2 every 3k or so, never needs topping up. Its well used as well at 158k, but from those photos that won't account for that amount of lost oil.

Any blue smoke on start up?

Oil filter/drain plug all secure & dry?

Exactly my point tunnie, could do with getting to the bottom of this.

No blue smoke

Drain plug fine

:(

vauxsull

• Omega Knight
  • Garden City, North Wales
    • 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 November 2012, 16:20:05 »

my 2.2 goes through a ltr every 500 miles and has done so for the 6k ive owned it for... because of this i hate this car so much words fail me... No oil leaks or drips and has just hit 113k miles....

grain.ben

« Reply #4 on: 17 November 2012, 16:25:00 »

my 2.2 goes through a ltr every 500 miles and has done so for the 6k ive owned it for... because of this i hate this car so much words fail me... No oil leaks or drips and has just hit 113k miles....

So, not just me then matey  :o , according the Vauxhall Omega Owners Manual, oil consumption for engines across the board are 0.1 per 1000km, so in my eyes, thats 100ml every 620 miles.

vauxsull

• Omega Knight
    • 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 November 2012, 16:29:41 »

well fingers have pointed to valve stem oil seals , valve guides and worse case scenario rings....

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 November 2012, 16:31:29 »

Had to replace this pipe on my Vectra with the same engine as it had dissolved!

grain.ben

« Reply #7 on: 17 November 2012, 16:32:54 »

well fingers have pointed to valve stem oil seals , valve guides and worse case scenario rings....

Ill have to get some more opinions and do some digging. At least u have given me something to think about  :y

vauxsull

• Omega Knight
    • 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 November 2012, 17:07:37 »

if you get to the bottom of your issue let me know?

omega3000

« Reply #9 on: 17 November 2012, 17:09:20 »

In the first picture its dripping onto the manifold so it burning off so no trace of dripping will be found , that pipe looks suspect ...take the pipe off and inspect for cracks around the sealing clip . Full breather check as well as mentioned . Surprised you cant smell that oil burning off in the car  :)

grain.ben

« Reply #10 on: 17 November 2012, 17:16:15 »

if you get to the bottom of your issue let me know?

I shall do matey  :y

In the first picture its dripping onto the manifold so it burning off so no trace of dripping will be found , that pipe looks suspect ...take the pipe off and inspect for cracks around the sealing clip . Full breather check as well as mentioned . Surprised you cant smell that oil burning off in the car  :)

I can smell it when i get out of the car when its hot  :(

I shall have a good look at it all next week as i have the week off to try and get some bits done and maybe a trip up to brackly  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 November 2012, 10:54:34 »

As said, that leak doesn't look major enough to cause significant oil consumption. Have the breathers been checked recently? If blocked, they will pressurise the crank case, and cause external leaks such as you have found, in addition to causing greater internal oil consumption.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.