Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear passenger 1/4 glass  (Read 1686 times)

paul8594

• Northamptonshire
    • 53 Reg 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Rear passenger 1/4 glass
« on: 26 February 2013, 23:59:15 »

Hi, how easy is it to replace the above piece of glass as i had to break mine today due to the fact i managed to lock my car up with the keys in the ignition  :-[ Also had dog inside who was no help at all  >:(.

The Haynes book of worms makes it look like major surgery with me having to take the main window out first, please tell me there is an easier way, and yes i know the easiest way is not to lock keys in and to have a spare which i have but had not got around to coding / cutting it yet

Paul  :-[

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
Re: Rear passenger 1/4 glass
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2013, 00:09:04 »

Believe Mr Haynes is correct for once - major job to replace a small lump of glass :(

Should have trained your dog better  ::) ::) ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

albitz

« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2013, 00:09:31 »

I vaguely remember helping Twiglet remove windows from an estate he was breaking,and iirc removing the quarter was a bit involved.
A fair bit of dismantling needed to be done. Just a matter of taking your time and putting it all back in reverse though I suppose.
I wouldnt be surprised if Twiglet still has some spare ones if you need one.

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2013, 00:09:43 »

Book of blox is right :'(

You might manage it by lowering the main window and unbolting the runner and sliding it of the glass. Once the frame is removed and whats left of the 1/4 window seal is out of the way, the replacement should slide in :y

Personally, I would do one of the side windows in the boot, (although the dog might not like it), as they are bolted in :y

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 February 2013, 08:06:06 »

Given the hassle involved in replacing the glass perhaps it might be cheaper/easier to source another complete door or one with at least the glass in place and fit your old doorcard :-\
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

paul8594

• Northamptonshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 February 2013, 09:59:37 »

Thank you for your replies and restraint in what is clearly a funny situation in the cold light of day.  :'(

Knowing what i know now, i would have put the rear window in as suggested as the dog was on the rear passenger seat and even putting the window in didnt faze him!

I have looked at the "new" door option and its begining to look like the less likely for me to throw heavy objects about option but i am about to go out and clear the glass up as all i felt like doing last night was to drive it home cover the hole and abandon it.

Oh by the way forgot to mention was also dealing with a puncture that means i need a new tyre!

At least one thing, these Omega's are secure :D

martin42

« Reply #6 on: 27 February 2013, 17:41:03 »

how can you lock your car with keys in ignition tho????

SIR Philbutt

• Omega Knight
  • Rochdale - Manchester
  • It will soon be Christmas ...
    • 03 2.2 CDX LPG estate
    • View Profile
    • PJB Home Services
« Reply #7 on: 27 February 2013, 18:57:26 »

how can you lock your car with keys in ignition tho????

I did exactly the same thing before xmas. Grinding noise from engine, pulled up, opened bonnet, got out, thought I'd better turn it off, opened door, reached in and turned off and closed door. Then it locked.  >:( >:( >:( :-[ :-[ :-[

I think I caught the lock button on key and somehow beat the (door open) unlock process. I have since experimented and there is about a second delay before it unlocks itself and is possible. SO BE WARNED  ::)

Paul
I broke the same window (passenger side) as I didn't know better  :-[ :-[, which is now blocked up until I can be ar***d to do it. Even tempted to get autoglass to do it  :D :D. Would be interested in how you go on  :y
keep happy, keep safe, keep smiling, keep in touch

paul8594

• Northamptonshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 February 2013, 08:00:23 »

When i phoned a friend of mine he couldnt believe i could lock the car with keys in ignition but i managed it

I was only popping to an address to post something through their letterbox so was parked right outside as i opened the door and started to get out my elbow caught the door lock tab. In the time it took me to finish getting out and the door closing it was too late to realise what happened.

At least i had turned the engine off, the dog might have taken himself off somewhere

I like the autoglass idea, just off to check the insurance policy!

SIR Philbutt

• Omega Knight
  • Rochdale - Manchester
  • It will soon be Christmas ...
    • 03 2.2 CDX LPG estate
    • View Profile
    • PJB Home Services
« Reply #9 on: 28 February 2013, 21:16:17 »

Be suprised if insurance covers it. Think it's just windscreen only unless you have a crime number  :D for other glass
keep happy, keep safe, keep smiling, keep in touch

Simon.rose1

• Walsall
    • Omega 2.5v6 cdx
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 March 2013, 08:00:18 »

Be suprised if insurance covers it. Think it's just windscreen only unless you have a crime number  :D for other glass
Autoglass and the AA covered me when I broke my rear window on my old car even though wording on policy says windscreen cover your covered for all the body glass less excess
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.