Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15]   Go Down

Author Topic: This Week in Wheeler's Workshop  (Read 16581 times)

aaronjb

• Omega Knight
  • Northampton
    • Not an Omega
    • View Profile
Re: This Week in Wheeler's Workshop
« Reply #210 on: 19 June 2019, 11:10:32 »

Handmade Wheeler tubular Omega V6 manifolds coming to an etsy shop near you  :y

I'm no expert but those manifolds look like things of beauty, very nice.

You do not want to know how much time there is in these(this, as we haven't started the passenger side one yet), or the cost of the materials and consumables. The only reason to build headers like this for a road car is because there is no alternative. We won't make the systems, but fit off the shelf V8 ones.

I think the cheapest quote I've had for a set of headers for the Cobra was 1200, the average about 1600 .. which would probably all go up once they saw the lack of space ;D but .. that does make a compelling case for DIY.
now: 2006 BMW 650i, 2007 Mini Cooper S, 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8
ex: 2.5TD CD Estate, 3.2V6 Elite Estate

STEMO

• Omega Queen
  • Up North
    • Astra 2.0 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: 19 June 2019, 11:34:41 »

You do not want to know how much time there is in these(this, as we haven't started the passenger side one yet), or the cost of the materials and consumables. The only reason to build headers like this for a road car is because there is no alternative. We won't make the systems, but fit off the shelf V8 ones.

I think the cheapest quote I've had for a set of headers for the Cobra was 1200, the average about 1600 .. which would probably all go up once they saw the lack of space ;D but .. that does make a compelling case for DIY.
Whip it down to Nick, he'll knock you some up in half an hour.  :)
If you are offended by anything I post, sorry. Just thought I'd get that in now.

Nick W

• Omega Lord
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: 19 June 2019, 11:48:24 »

Whip it down to Nick, he'll knock you some up in half an hour.  :)

I know I've mentioned this before, but I hate dealing with exhausts whether that's changing a broken hanger to fabricating new parts. So I only ever replace entire systems, and buy them whenever possible.

And Aaron doesn't want to pay me 1600 to build his headers in the street outside my house :)

aaronjb

• Omega Knight
  • Northampton
    • Not an Omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: 20 June 2019, 10:51:19 »

And Aaron doesn't want to pay me 1600 to build his headers in the street outside my house :)

;D ;D Indeed ;) Although I likely will pay someone - because once you add the cost of a decent TIG welder on top of the materials, you're getting close to just paying someone who actually knows what they're doing with the glue gun (instead of me)..

Speaking of, I popped over to Ollie at Olliminium yesterday (he's going to modify the unused ally fuel tank) - he's based at Bicester Heritage and I reckon that place is worth a wander around just to see what's lurking.. a proper little mass of low-volume automotive manufacturers/restorers/etc. The only other place I've seen so many pre-1930 vehicles in one place is Goodwood!

Nick W

• Omega Lord
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: 20 June 2019, 11:05:46 »

;D ;D Indeed ;) Although I likely will pay someone - because once you add the cost of a decent TIG welder on top of the materials, you're getting close to just paying someone who actually knows what they're doing with the glue gun (instead of me)

the welding is the easy bit! Cutting the tubes so they not only fit in the space, but are still round and join each other correctly is difficult. Fortunately for this job, it's what Ian enjoys. And it's in his garage, so I don't need to get involved too much.

aaronjb

• Omega Knight
  • Northampton
    • Not an Omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: 20 June 2019, 11:09:25 »

That too! Much easier if you have a decent metal chop-saw and/or band saw .. neither of which I have, so I'd be trying to hand cut everything with a grinder..

Nick W

• Omega Lord
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: 20 June 2019, 11:18:57 »

That too! Much easier if you have a decent metal chop-saw and/or band saw .. neither of which I have, so I'd be trying to hand cut everything with a grinder..

Marker pen, hacksaw, belt sander in the vice, and files. Lubricated with plenty of workshop Anglo-saxon.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: 20 June 2019, 14:41:52 »

There's a new member on here who makes exhausts and headers,, 456lbs. Might be able to help,and he's not far from you Aaron.
Hoof'land storeman..

Rwd-less..

aaronjb

• Omega Knight
  • Northampton
    • Not an Omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: 20 June 2019, 15:12:05 »

There's a new member on here who makes exhausts and headers,, 456lbs. Might be able to help,and he's not far from you Aaron.

Aye  :y I've made a mental note of his name .. once there's an engine in there to join exhausts to, anyway :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • Millennium Man
    • The missus mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: 20 June 2019, 17:15:59 »

Speaking of, I popped over to Ollie at Olliminium yesterday (he's going to modify the unused ally fuel tank) - he's based at Bicester Heritage and
I hope you switched your engine off, seeing as the local council are trying (somehow) to make it an offence to keep the engine running whilst stationary...

I don't tolerate bickering, and I'm always grumpy.
And Lizzie Zoom says I'm a heartless bastid...and she's absolutely correct!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15]   Go Up

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 21 queries.