Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The Opel Omega B1 (aka Vauxhall Omega PFL) Design  (Read 12193 times)

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
The Opel Omega B1 (aka Vauxhall Omega PFL) Design
« on: 10 November 2016, 00:55:12 »

For the last few weeks I dove deep into the Omega B, its history and development and tried to learn as much as I could about the car.

From the beginning I was always more of a fan of the B1 (PFL and MFL in the UK) than the B2 (facelift). It seems many share the same opinion here.

There is nothing wrong with the B2. It is still a nice looking car. It reminds me a lot of the Astra G. But that’s fine. It looks like an Opel product because it is.

But this is where the B1 is so special. It barely looks like your typical Opel. It has a unique design somehow. Not only among the other Opels of its day, but also among its competitors. Now there were many unique designs in the history of cars. But normally unique tend to mean bizarre or odd. Like a lot of the Fords such as the Sierra with it’s odd looking rear or the very odd Scorpio. But in the case of the Omega B1 uniqueness means beauty.  I even see some of its design in later cars. This is probably why even though the B1 is older than the B2, the Omega B2 (FL) somehow looks more dated at this point in my opinion. The Omega B1's lines still look quite modern. If clear LED headlights and taillights were available for the B1 it would blend in with the new cars no problem. The lights are the biggest sign of its age.

So I wanted to start a thread to discuss the Omega B1 (PFL/MFL) design.

I think Opel clearly put all its eggs in the basket when working on the Omega A/Carlton’s replacement.  They really went all out. I feel like if it had a 3-point star logo on the grill instead of the blitz (or Griffin) it would have been taken much more seriously, even if it was exactly the same car. But since it is an Opel it got overlooked and has always been underrated in my opinion. Badge snobbery is a real thing and as pathetic as we know it to be.

With its clean and elegant lines and yet somehow futuristic (for the time) I feel the Omega B1 could become a classic, if it had ever had a noteworthy version like the Carlton did with the Lotus. There is the Steinmetz but I guess it is just to rare and probably not impressive enough performance wise to do it.

But any time somebody says the Omega is bland I can never see it when I look at the PFL B1.

Let’s first take a look at how the other Opels of its time looked:

As you see, the Omega B1 looked like none of them. Today all Opels basically look the same. Just different wheelbases and roof lines.  The same can be said for VW, Audi, Porsche, Ford or Jaguar. I can barely tell the difference between a XE, XF and XJ if the picture is small and it’s not a rear or profile shot. BMW somehow manages a bit more difference as does Mercedes. But still very similar to one another. And although it has gotten worse and worse, this corporate look tendency started long ago. The Carlton/Omega had the same front as the Astra/Kadett. Taillights were very close too and so on.

But as you see the Omega B1 is a curious case. With the FL I guess they felt the need to bring it closer to the rest of the family.

Now I'm not saying the B1 is un-Opel. It naturally has the cues. But it's not the copy-and-paste job you usually see.

So is the Omega B1 bland? Compared to which of its contemporaries? A Lamborghini Diablo? Then maybe. But compared to the other cars in its class?

Well:

Sorry I don’t see it. Not only it is not bland but it also looked better and more ahead of its time than any of the above. Badge snobbery is a powerful thing indeed.

And not even the tuned versions of the competition looked better. To anybody who says an Omega B is bland, they must have never seen the Steinmetz Omega Kompressor or Turbo Steinmetz:

So let’s discuss the B1 design. Why do you think Opel went far out? And why do you think they then did the opposite with the facelift car and made it so close to other Opels?

Did the B1 not sell as expected?

Did they think it didn’t look like an Opel product after all?

How do you think the B1 stacked up against its competition from a design point of view?

In forums we always see a lot of help threads and posts complaining about the cars. In a way this is what forums are mostly for. A kind of secondary support channel.  I myself benefited immensely from the kindness and help given by the knowledgeable members here. So I wanted to have a different discussion about these great cars for a change.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: The Opel Omega B1 (aka Vauxhall Omega PFL) Design
« Reply #1 on: 10 November 2016, 01:37:56 »

I love the picture (2nd one from the end), of the Steinmetz Estate, its almost like the photographer tried to take a picture on an Onega but ended up with the light bouncing and curving all over the place unexpectedly by mistake.  :y

I did something similar a few years back of my FL 3.0 Irmscher Elite, tried to take a picture of the car parked up at night, but ended up with some nice looking reflections over the car, again all by mistake.  ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 November 2016, 04:21:36 »

14 pages in Omega help wasn't enough... ???

As for comparing it with the Jag XJ and the Passat...  ;D would include the Audi in the list, but the 100/A6 is comparable, but the A8 is not. And it never really competed with the Mercedes W124 or BMW E34 as both were at the end of their respective production runs.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Zirfeld

• Intermediate Member
  • Lahr/Germany
    • 2.0/16V Saloon+Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 November 2016, 06:41:44 »

Hi

I also like Omegas design, the PFL more than the FL.

But compairing it to other car designs, you forgot the most important one.

The NSU RO 80!

At its time the RO was a revolution! In 1967 this car looks like out of this world.

Rolf
I am not forced to drive an old Omega. I simply like it.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #4 on: 10 November 2016, 07:30:21 »

No doubt about they were a great looking car, but love the pic of the W210 Merc just like mine 🙆🙆

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 November 2016, 08:00:35 »

I love the picture (2nd one from the end), of the Steinmetz Estate, its almost like the photographer tried to take a picture on an Onega but ended up with the light bouncing and curving all over the place unexpectedly by mistake.  :y

I guess the right term is "a happy accident".  ;D

You got it as well in your picture.  ;)

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 November 2016, 08:09:55 »

Excuse me, but enough for what exactly? This is not a help thread. I wanted to have an intelligent conversation about the Omega B1 design.

As for comparing it with the Jag XJ and the Passat...  ;D would include the Audi in the list,

And I did. There is a picture of a contemporary Audi A6 in there.  ;)

but the 100/A6 is comparable, but the A8 is not.
I didn't include an A8. Or are you saying the silver Audi is an A8? It was labeled as A6 C4.

And it never really competed with the Mercedes W124 or BMW E34 as both were at the end of their respective production runs.

Well, this is why I posted the next generation of them as well. My goal was to compare the Omega B1 with cars that where around at the time it came out in 1993. The W124 and E34 were the E-class and 5 series cars in 1993. ;)

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 November 2016, 08:14:08 »

Hi

I also like Omegas design, the PFL more than the FL.

But compairing it to other car designs, you forgot the most important one.

The NSU RO 80!

At its time the RO was a revolution! In 1967 this car looks like out of this world.

Rolf

Sure. The RO 80 is a looker for sure.  ;)

But I wasn't comparing the Omega B1 to cars of all time. The point is comparing it to the cars of it's time. The Omega B1 came out in 1993. So the comparison is to cars that were current models in 1993 and the cars the Omega B1 competed against. ;)

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 November 2016, 08:18:14 »

No doubt about they were a great looking car, but love the pic of the W210 Merc just like mine 🙆🙆

It's a good looking car for sure. It's one of my favorite Mercedes cars actually. Like it way more than anything they put out in the 2000s.

But at this point the design is much more dated than the Omega B1. I know it's also an older design. But the problem is that Mercedes designs were pretty conservative till recently. The Omga B1 is a very forward design. This is why it holds up so well even today.

Ever Ready

• Omega Knight
  • Scotland
    • 2.2 CD Auto, Pug 308Hdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 November 2016, 08:50:32 »

Some good pictures there especially the Steinmetz ones :y :y :y
An ounce of experience is worth more than a pound of enthusiasm.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 November 2016, 09:18:35 »

Yes, I really like the Steinmetz Omegas. More so than the Irmschers because the Steinmetz are not just a body kit. They are actually tuned. It's not just a look package. It's the ultimate Omega (B). ;)

And the styling is also the nicest I have seen on an Omega, PFL or FL. It's enhanced but with class and taste without going crazy like this:

Yes, the last one is an Omega (Carlton).

I think Steinmetz did it right. It looks great, sporty and powerful but without looking tacky or ricer. And it's not just a body kit.

The hard thing is to find a real one to buy. So many cheap copies with just a look alike body kit, all tacky. The real Steinmetz built cars are rare. They didn't make many. Very, very rare and they fetch good money when they do come up for sale.

Bojan

• Intermediate Member
  • Croatia, Slavonski Brod
    • MV6 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 November 2016, 11:53:25 »

last one is 'meanwhile in russia'   ;D

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 November 2016, 13:41:07 »

'meanwhile in russia' ;D

Been watching too many Bond Movies maybe....

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 November 2016, 14:42:32 »

He's a Newbie Al, he's only just testing the water with 14 pages, you wait tell He gets warmed up.  ;) ;D 

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 November 2016, 15:30:39 »

last one is 'meanwhile in russia'   ;D

Arggh! My eyes! Make it stop!
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 21 queries.