Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: My Unseen eBay Elite  (Read 9182 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: My Unseen eBay Elite
« Reply #45 on: 02 February 2017, 19:13:45 »

I never said it was a bad idea ::) simply throwing it out there that it could be used as an excuse to weasel out of providing a service that you thought was covered ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 06 February 2017, 12:25:00 »

Been behaving fine since the crank sensor was fitted :y

Few jobs now done, incl cambelt kit, water pump, thermostat, aux belt, aux belt wheel, spark plugs, all the filters, new coolant, and fully synth oil. Oh and of course breathers all thoroughly cleaned through.

Nothing to report ref the state of the old cambelt kit. It was very slack on the tensioner side, but the timing was set pretty much correctly. I actually think the belt has been done, because there were the telltale amateur tippex marks on the sprocket  ::)

Sadly someone ham fisted has worked on this engine at one point. The hollow union that screws into the plenum (which the servo vacuum hose connects to) was clearly cross threaded. (I noticed this previously) as it goes in at an angle. Having sprayed carb cleaner around it, it's not leaking, so I've left it for now. (I'm worried if I remove it, I won't get it to tighten again).

Additionally someone has had a go at the b@stard bolt for some reason in the past. It was a 10mm hex head as opposed to the normal torx bolt, and the engine lifting eye was missing! It's imperative not to screw the coolant transfer pipe in so far that it's bracket hits the head - it's not meant to go back that far as it will usually put the bracket under too much stress and break it. (They are v brittle). For that reason, we had to implement a small bodge and use an old cambelt pulley washer, in place of the lifting eye, to act as a suitable spacer.

Lastly, when I removed the bottom bolt from the aux belt tensioner, I noticed it was pretty much only finger tight. When the bolt came out, it had evidence of thread on it, from it's hole. Upon cleaning it up and attempting to tighten it, the bolt would not tighten. Being in the side of the cylinder head it was a small heart in mouth moment - however, I managed to chase the thread through, with a tap, to clean it up, and then use a longer stainless bolt, with some thread lock. This then bit, and torqued up perfectly with no signs of letting go, providing a perfectly safe and lasting solution.

It was one of those annoying things which turned a three hour job into a five hour one  >:(

The old coolant pump was one of those thin flange shite ones with lots of play. So I'm pleased this has been binned.

Snags aside,  the Elite is now fully serviced and cambelted. I put new wiper blades on there whilst at it. I didn't do the cam cover gaskets, they were bone dry and there is a receipt somewhere for them being done in 2016 I believe.

There was mayo on the oil filler cap, but not in the oil itself - the old gloopy oil, and the fact the breathers were gunky (but not blocked) will account for this. Oil replaced with fully synthetic. Since I've done this, I've noticed a few seconds of lifter noise at startup, but it's no cause for concern as it disappears after literally a couple of seconds, and it also happened once before.

Can now be driven with peace of mind, for the next 40k or 4 years :y

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 06 February 2017, 13:04:12 »

Been behaving fine since the crank sensor was fitted :y

Few jobs now done, incl cambelt kit, water pump, thermostat, aux belt, aux belt wheel, spark plugs, all the filters, new coolant, and fully synth oil. Oh and of course breathers all thoroughly cleaned through.

Nothing to report ref the state of the old cambelt kit. It was very slack on the tensioner side, but the timing was set pretty much correctly. I actually think the belt has been done, because there were the telltale amateur tippex marks on the sprocket  ::)

Sadly someone ham fisted has worked on this engine at one point. The hollow union that screws into the plenum (which the servo vacuum hose connects to) was clearly cross threaded. (I noticed this previously) as it goes in at an angle. Having sprayed carb cleaner around it, it's not leaking, so I've left it for now. (I'm worried if I remove it, I won't get it to tighten again).

Additionally someone has had a go at the b@stard bolt for some reason in the past. It was a 10mm hex head as opposed to the normal torx bolt, and the engine lifting eye was missing! It's imperative not to screw the coolant transfer pipe in so far that it's bracket hits the head - it's not meant to go back that far as it will usually put the bracket under too much stress and break it. (They are v brittle). For that reason, we had to implement a small bodge and use an old cambelt pulley washer, in place of the lifting eye, to act as a suitable spacer.

Lastly, when I removed the bottom bolt from the aux belt tensioner, I noticed it was pretty much only finger tight. When the bolt came out, it had evidence of thread on it, from it's hole. Upon cleaning it up and attempting to tighten it, the bolt would not tighten. Being in the side of the cylinder head it was a small heart in mouth moment - however, I managed to chase the thread through, with a tap, to clean it up, and then use a longer stainless bolt, with some thread lock. This then bit, and torqued up perfectly with no signs of letting go, providing a perfectly safe and lasting solution.

It was one of those annoying things which turned a three hour job into a five hour one  >:(

The old coolant pump was one of those thin flange shite ones with lots of play. So I'm pleased this has been binned.

Snags aside,  the Elite is now fully serviced and cambelted. I put new wiper blades on there whilst at it. I didn't do the cam cover gaskets, they were bone dry and there is a receipt somewhere for them being done in 2016 I believe.

There was mayo on the oil filler cap, but not in the oil itself - the old gloopy oil, and the fact the breathers were gunky (but not blocked) will account for this. Oil replaced with fully synthetic. Since I've done this, I've noticed a few seconds of lifter noise at startup, but it's no cause for concern as it disappears after literally a couple of seconds, and it also happened once before.

Can now be driven with peace of mind, for the next 40k or 4 years :y

Great work - sounding like a good buy  :y
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 07 February 2017, 02:42:35 »

Incidentally, I wonder how many recovery firms would attend to fit a part that you carry in the boot 'just in case'?

Surely feeling the need to carry a part suggests that you either knew or were expecting it to fail... Which in turn implies that you willingly drive the car knowing it could fail at any moment, and therefore nullifying any breakdown cover :-\

had this happen to me when my crank sensor went. car would not start at all.  on the call i did tell them it was likely the crank sensor but didn't mention the spare in the boot. breakdown driver arrived, car of course started first time and he followed me towards home for a few miles just in case.  i think otherwise he might have fitted it, they are meant to spend up to an hour of labour.  alternative was a tow home.  actually thinking about it he looked the sort of bloke who would much prefer a long tow to an hour under the car so maybe not.   This was a local contractor to rescuemycar.com, I think an AA or RAC employee would be more inclined to fit it.

bit annoying as it took me over an hour  - took the scuttle off and had problems with the bolt. would take minutes now its re-routed, quicker than calling them out.

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 07 February 2017, 14:35:02 »

Oil replaced with fully synthetic. Since I've done this, I've noticed a few seconds of lifter noise at startup, but it's no cause for concern as it disappears after literally a couple of seconds, and it also happened once before

The oil in mine was quite thick and dirty when i bought it .. but the engine was as quiet as a mouse . Since doing 3 quick oil changes mine too is tappety on start up .. also after treating with wynns its still tappety  :( Doesnt affect the cars running at all and the oil stainer was cleaned as well before the oil changes . I was thinking of putting a thicker oil in to see if it stops the noise  :-\ I have 10/40 semi skim in at the moment .
Omegatitis

STEMO

« Reply #50 on: 07 February 2017, 15:28:49 »

Oil replaced with fully synthetic. Since I've done this, I've noticed a few seconds of lifter noise at startup, but it's no cause for concern as it disappears after literally a couple of seconds, and it also happened once before

The oil in mine was quite thick and dirty when i bought it .. but the engine was as quiet as a mouse . Since doing 3 quick oil changes mine too is tappety on start up .. also after treating with wynns its still tappety  :( Doesnt affect the cars running at all and the oil stainer was cleaned as well before the oil changes . I was thinking of putting a thicker oil in to see if it stops the noise  :-\ I have 10/40 semi skim in at the moment .
Put hypoid oil in it, that will slow quieten the lifters down.  :)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 20 February 2017, 21:23:53 »

Put in for MOT today after a quick inspection...........

Passed with no advisories :y

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 20 February 2017, 21:28:09 »

Put in for MOT today after a quick inspection...........

Passed with no advisories :y
:y :y
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 20 February 2017, 22:26:45 »

So did you find the source of the bad knocking noise ?

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 20 February 2017, 22:28:26 »

So did you find the source of the bad knocking noise ?

Nope. And neither could the tester. I told him about it before the test and he pulled and pried everything, loaded and unloaded.

Still remains a mystery!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.