Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What a bag of sh!te  (Read 1285 times)

jimmy944

• Omega Baron
  • Kidderminster
    • Swedish soot chucker
    • View Profile
Re: What a bag of sh!te
« Reply #30 on: 16 May 2018, 18:46:35 »

Given the choice, I would take mechanical weakness and decent Corrosion resistance over the reverse.

Doctor Gollum

• Omega Queen
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 16 May 2018, 18:54:46 »

The PSA/Renault stuff might not rust, but they are very lightly built with stupidly expensive parts... But each to their own...
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

• Omega Queen
  • Up North
    • Astra 2.0 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 16 May 2018, 19:06:47 »

The days of French shite and Italian rust buckets are long gone. They only live on in the minds of old and middle aged men.
If you are offended by anything I post, sorry. Just thought I'd get that in now.

jimmy944

• Omega Baron
  • Kidderminster
    • Swedish soot chucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 16 May 2018, 19:14:56 »

No decision taken yet. Seeing as itís auto, beggars may not be able to be choosers.  Other than AC Spec isnít important though, as even the drivers seats.

FWIW, the 2 tradesmen I know personally  moved from 2x transits to Ducatos and rate them. But that could just be down to moving to a van thatís a generation newer. .  :-\

Nick W

• Omega Lord
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 16 May 2018, 20:56:52 »

I have reached the conclusion that I work for complete idiots :-X
Maybe they have complete sense, giving Mercedes Benz a wide berth ;)
For Fiat :o
In cars (and we know vans are a different kettle of fish), at least a Fiat is designed correctly (and maybe slightly let down in execution), unlike MB, where they flick through the part suppliers catalogues, and play lego...

Have you been drinking?
Or had a stroke?
Or ever looked at a Fiat, let alone ever driven or worked on one?
And the Fiat vans are particularly bad, as they're designed and built in conjunction with Citroen - a combination that has disaster as an integral part.

jimmy944

• Omega Baron
  • Kidderminster
    • Swedish soot chucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 16 May 2018, 22:02:38 »

So, clearly opinions are divided...

;D

Doctor Gollum

• Omega Queen
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 16 May 2018, 22:11:57 »

So, clearly opinions are divided...

;D
OK, to put it another way, that ten year CitroŽn van with a sofa bed and portaloo costs about the same as a pre-registered new one that you can fit out yourself... Still won't be any good ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

jimmy944

• Omega Baron
  • Kidderminster
    • Swedish soot chucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 16 May 2018, 22:17:57 »

Donít knock it!

Iím hoping to kit one out, have 5yrs of holidays and then selling it at cost  :y

As if... ::)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 16 May 2018, 22:50:44 »

Sounds like your best bet is a couple of pairs of steel capped hiking boots for you and SWMBO, but be careful:

Brand A: Definitely avoid as after 10 years beach surf walking everyday, poor corrosion resistance, the steel toe caps had completely rusted away. :-[
Brand B: Avoid as they fitted badly where the different parts came from the bitsa bins. :D
Brand C: Only got 1.5 times around the world before their weak mechanicals meant they fell to pieces. :o
Brand D: Poorly made with rough stitching, that gave way on our 3 circuit of Europe and weak laces meant a roadside rescue. :(
Brand E: Came out of the ugly bin and badly fitting, so sore feet, avoid. ???
Brand F: No heat resistance, they lasted notime when walking on hot lava in Hawaii. >:(

Have you considerer the benefits of bare feet walking? :-X :-X :-X ;D ;D ;D :P :P :P
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

jimmy944

• Omega Baron
  • Kidderminster
    • Swedish soot chucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 16 May 2018, 23:53:08 »

Hmm. If youíre alluding to a tent, Iíd rather stay at home, on fire.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 17 May 2018, 00:37:10 »

No just making the point all of the comments are along the lines of don't buy this because....

I would have thought something along the lines of a,b,c are their good points, but watch out for these problems especially after x miles, z years would be much more useful to you when making a decision. More like secondhand reviews tend to do, but with the benefit of direct personal experience added from the contributors on here. :y :y :y

For example: I know the Renault/Vx vans tend to eat gearboxes but with regular oil changes and making sure regularly the oil is fully topped up massively extends the gearbox life so you probably won't have a problem.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 17 May 2018, 07:54:46 »

The latest shape Transits are so easy to break into it's laughable[there is a fix out for this] and they have problems with the door hinges whereby the door hits the front wing when you open/close it-again there's a fix out for this.There are some very nice versions out though,the MS-Sport[I think that's what they call it] a Guy Martin edition and also a Valentine Rossi edition for three of them.

Migv6

• Omega Baron
  • Webs End.
    • 3.2 Elite & Merc 190D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 17 May 2018, 09:04:28 »

The latest shape Transits are so easy to break into it's laughable[there is a fix out for this] and they have problems with the door hinges whereby the door hits the front wing when you open/close it-again there's a fix out for this.There are some very nice versions out though,the MS-Sport[I think that's what they call it] a Guy Martin edition and also a Valentine Rossi edition for three of them.

Your still talking about vans, yes ??  :o ??? :-\ :o
Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.

aaronjb

• Northampton
    • '16 Skoda, '06 BMW 650i
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 17 May 2018, 10:02:52 »

Your still talking about vans, yes ??  :o ??? :-\ :o

https://guymartinracing.co.uk/brand-new-guy-martin-proper-van/

In terms of vehicle reviews - I briefly considered asking for recommendations (here) on small (think Swift/Corsa/Clio sized) automatics for the other half.. then I realised all I'd get is "They're all shite" so I didn't bother ;D

BTW Jimmy, IIRC, someone at your gaff is doing the same thing, though they are converting a VW transporter as that's what they fell in love with recently.
..and it went 'dugga dugga dugga dugga' no more.

jimmy944

• Omega Baron
  • Kidderminster
    • Swedish soot chucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 17 May 2018, 10:36:08 »

BTW Jimmy, IIRC, someone at your gaff is doing the same thing, though they are converting a VW transporter as that's what they fell in love with recently.

Interesting, I'll keep an eye out!

I can see why people like the transporter, they're the most "car like" I think of the vans, plus there's the vw thing but I definitely want a toilet and shower in ours (otherwise why not just take the car and a decent tent) which rules them out immediately. I also want a "garage" area for wet/dirty gear, and an external shower attachment for the muts.

Something like this may be a decent starting point.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201801172840507?make=IVECO&model=DAILY&advertising-location=at_vans&body-type=Panel%20Van&radius=1500&wheelbase=LWB&sort=supplied-price-asc&transmission=Automatic&postcode=ox279bn&page=1
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 23 queries.