Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rover Streetwise MOT explosion  (Read 844 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Rover Streetwise MOT explosion
« on: 15 May 2018, 19:11:27 »

This morning I submitted my daughter-in-law's Streetwise for MOT. It is 14 years and 85000 miles old, and has suffered head gasket failures at 60,000 and 69000 miles. I observed to the tester that these cars are prone to head gasket failures. He agreed, said every 40000 miles or less.

He was warming it up for its emission test, with his foot on the accelerator, I was watching from the front, bonnet open. Suddenly I observed the header tank disappear in a cloud of steam. I told the tester to switch off. He stopped the test, we pushed the car out of the MOT bay, and he mopped up the coolant. Test was abandonned, we presumed the head gasket had blown again, so end of car.

He asked me whether I had seen the cooling fan running; I said I had not noticed. He said it was worth checking.

When it had cooled down I drove it nervously home. When cool I topped up the coolant, and ran it at idle as he had done, all lights, fans and auxiliaries on, to get it hot. I watched the fan; it did not turn. The car only has one coolant temperature sensor, connected to the dash meter and controlling the fan. The meter had read normally, so I doubted this was the problem. Nevertheless, I thought I would change it. When I unplugged it the fan burst into life, so the fan certainly worked.

For £9 I bought a new sensor and fitted it. The fan then ran normally, and at high speed. I booked a new test at 4pm. It passed. Phew!

2boxerdogs

Re: Rover Streetwise MOT explosion
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2018, 19:14:17 »

Well done cheap fix & hopefully another 12 months motoring. 😎

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Rover Streetwise MOT explosion
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2018, 21:44:28 »

Yes, well done.

In an alternative version it would have been £600 for head gasket change sir.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.