Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wind farms can contribute to global warming  (Read 756 times)

Migv6

• Omega Baron
  • Webs End.
    • 3.2 Elite & Merc 190D.
    • View Profile
Re: Wing farms can contribute to global warming
« Reply #15 on: 10 October 2018, 21:03:02 »

Though obviously, with wind turbines, you need other sources online and generating for when the wind stops.  And thats precisely why the things should have zero subsidy all be chopped down.

Couldn't agree more.  :y :)
Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.

redelitev6

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 October 2018, 21:15:55 »

High densities can contribute up to 0.25oC to global warming and up to 1oC at the centre of large wind farm areas.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/how-wind-power-could-contribute-warming-climate
Can I suggest that you read the report more carefully?

It says "If enough wind turbines to generate all of America' energy (0.46 TW) were installed in America it would warm America by about 0.24 deg Celsius on average".

First, that's a lot of wind turbines.

Second, it's a local effect, not a global effect.

If we want to see the global effcet then, to a first approximation, America covers about 9.8 million square kilometers.  The earth is about 510 million square kilometers.

So, the average global effect would be about 0.24 x 9.8/510 = 0.005 deg C.  That's pretty trivial.

You also need to understand the difference between 0.25oC, which you use incorrectly; and 0.25 degrees C, which the report uses correctly, as they are completely different things.

0.25oC is a temperature which is equal to just over 32oF or about 273K. 

0.25 degrees C is a temperature difference which is about 0.14 degrees F or 0.25K.
Ha ! that's easy for you to say

Doctor Gollum

• Omega Queen
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 October 2018, 00:12:04 »

OK, I will bite...

Comrade Haha, you are once wrong...

The United States is a not inconsiderable part of the land mass commonly known as the continent of North America.

It therefore stands to reason that any weather changes as a result of 'local'* influence would have far reaching climatic effects globally by virtue of the planet being contained within a whole singular climatic envelope.

*Presuming that by local, you mean continental  ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger QC

• Omega Queen
  • West Dorset
    • BMW 530d & a Ford
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 October 2018, 01:05:05 »

Ah...... Where's my popcorn?!  :D  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

JC is not The Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!!

John-Ha

• Bristol
    • Omega 2.2 CDI
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11 October 2018, 10:24:48 »

It therefore stands to reason that any weather changes as a result of 'local'* influence would have far reaching climatic effects globally by virtue of the planet being contained within a whole singular climatic envelope.
It does not stand to reason.

In principle, your opinion could have some truth in it (you will note my words were "to a first approximation") but, based on what the report says, you are probably wrong. 

You need to read the extract published (better: read the full report) to find the cause of the predicted heating.  You will need to understand what a boundary layer is.  I can postulate reasons for why the heat remains local. 

Doctor Gollum

• Omega Queen
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 October 2018, 14:19:37 »

You can postulate to your hearts content ;D

The butterfly effect still stands, and as long as there is an equator, water in the oceans and a jet stream, climate will remain a global situation. Regardless of whether you agree or not...  ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

• Omega Queen
  • Up North
    • Astra 2.0 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 October 2018, 15:14:52 »

The butterfly effect still stands, and as long as there is an equator, water in the oceans and a jet stream, climate will remain a global situation. Regardless of whether you agree or not...  ::)
I'm not so sure about the postulating, I've heard you can go blind.
If you are offended by anything I post, sorry. Just thought I'd get that in now.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 October 2018, 18:51:20 »

Apparently the clothing/fashion industry contributes massively to global warming,but I'm not sure the idea of us all running about starkers is a particularly good one :D :D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • 3.2 MV6 (LPG), Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11 October 2018, 19:17:23 »

Apparently the clothing/fashion industry contributes massively to global warming,but I'm not sure the idea of us all running about starkers is a particularly good one :D :D
Well, if it's between that and driving a Pious... :-X
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Sir Tigger QC

• Omega Queen
  • West Dorset
    • BMW 530d & a Ford
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11 October 2018, 19:47:44 »

I'm not so sure about the postulating, I've heard you can go blind.

No, it's good to get it out of your system!  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

JC is not The Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!!

John-Ha

• Bristol
    • Omega 2.2 CDI
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 14 October 2018, 14:22:45 »

OK, I will bite...

The United States is a not inconsiderable part of the land mass commonly known as the continent of North America.

Why don't you read the report before commenting on it?  Or did you read it, but not understand it? 

The report says

"A vast array of imagined wind turbines ... would quickly warm the contiguous United States by an average of 0.24 degrees Celsius, a new study estimates.

The warming effect is strongest near the center of the array, with warming of as much as 1 degree Celsius".

So, the report is saying the warming is local, not global; and is restricted to the contiguous United States.

Second, if you have even just a mediocre ability to understand and analyse figures, you will have noted that the average value across the US would be 0.24 degrees C, but that the maximum value would be 1 degrees C in the centre.  This means that the values at the edges would have to be (probably much) less than 0.24 degrees C in order for the average to be 0.24 degrees C.  By extension, the effect outside the US would be even smaller.

Remember, it is always better to remain silent, and have others think you are a fool; than to spout forth and remove all doubt.

STEMO

• Omega Queen
  • Up North
    • Astra 2.0 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14 October 2018, 14:48:06 »

OK, I will bite...

Why don't you read the report before commenting on it?  Or did you read it, but not understand it? 

The report says

"A vast array of imagined wind turbines ... would quickly warm the contiguous United States by an average of 0.24 degrees Celsius, a new study estimates.

The warming effect is strongest near the center of the array, with warming of as much as 1 degree Celsius".

So, the report is saying the warming is local, not global; and is restricted to the contiguous United States.

Second, if you have even just a mediocre ability to understand and analyse figures, you will have noted that the average value across the US would be 0.24 degrees C, but that the maximum value would be 1 degrees C in the centre.  This means that the values at the edges would have to be (probably much) less than 0.24 degrees C in order for the average to be 0.24 degrees C.  By extension, the effect outside the US would be even smaller.

Remember, it is always better to remain silent, and have others think you are a fool; than to spout forth and remove all doubt.
That's three times you've said that now. The first two were deleted. You really are an unpleasant, arrogant piece of work.
Here's hoping the Bristol Channel bore reaches 20 metres, then we might be shot of you.
« Last Edit: 14 October 2018, 14:55:03 by STEMO »
If you are offended by anything I post, sorry. Just thought I'd get that in now.

John-Ha

• Bristol
    • Omega 2.2 CDI
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 14 October 2018, 14:56:12 »

That's three times you've said that now. The first two were deleted. You really are an unpleasant, arrogant piece of work.
That is rich.  You troll me, you insult me, you blaspheme so much that entire threads have to be deleted by the moderators.

The problem here is that the cronies don't like it when they are shown to be fools. 

STEMO

• Omega Queen
  • Up North
    • Astra 2.0 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 14 October 2018, 15:04:16 »

That is rich.  You troll me, you insult me, you blaspheme so much that entire threads have to be deleted by the moderators.

The problem here is that the cronies don't like it when they are shown to be fools.

Have you been drinking today? I only ask because you've been online plenty but it took you three days to post your latest load of crap. Or is it that you are just weird? Or both?  ;D

John-Ha

• Bristol
    • Omega 2.2 CDI
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 14 October 2018, 15:17:16 »

... it took you three days to post your latest load of crap.
Why don't you read what I posted because, if you did, and if you have the intellect to understand it, you would not call it crap because it is correct.

The typical cronies here seem to be ignorant, opinionated, narcissistic (look it up) bully-boys who are all too fond fond of their own voices.  Facts are irrelevant to them - they are like a pack of mangy dogs looking for a victim and spouting off like a troll.

It is why I call you a troll - that is what you are.

This thread is about the report.  If you have nothing of value to add to the discussion about the report, can I suggest you contain yourself and remain silent.
« Last Edit: 14 October 2018, 15:19:32 by John-Ha »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 21 queries.