Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Conservatory roof.  (Read 6056 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Re: Conservatory roof.
« Reply #15 on: 17 October 2018, 15:10:54 »

Does anyone have knowledge or experience of the various systems offered for insulating conservatory rooves?
Roofs.

Mr Shackeng was a pilot for forty years. He won't take kindly to being lectured on the finer points of spelling and punctuation by an errant scouser. :)

Please do NOT insult the honorable gentleman ... he never was past of the "drivers, airframe, for the use of" branch of Her Majesty's Royal Air Force ..... please note his screenname .. shackENG ....

However as a Master Engineer of some seniority he would have often taught junior pilots the intricacies of correct Service Writing ... 

:D :D :D

Correct. :y

Among the duties of a Warrant Officer, From the Manual of Air Force Law: IIRC ...advise and instruct Junior Officers. ::)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 October 2018, 19:00:07 »

I have a conservatory, I insulated the walls etc l, with kingspan stuff, added proper radiator.

Problem is conservatory’s are shite, foundations tend to be crap and floor is not insulated either. It’s like trying to heat a kitchen cullender.

I’m now favouring bulldozing it and building a proper extension.

Mine has proper foundations, 100mm insulated floor, underfloor heating, and radiators, (I was site foreman), but of course still loses heat through the double glazing. There are several companies offering either internal, effectively, ceilings, or external insulated roof panels. :y

Sounds better than mine then, I did look at replacement roofs either whole and tiled type or panels. Mine is double glazed roof.

Seriously expensive for what they are, If foundations are strong enough it would probably be similar price to build normal extension, they are that pricey!

Conservatories should be banned in my view, horrible things. Hate mine with a passion.

We love ours, it has a seating area and a dining area for 6, and is well used. A mirror image of this: http://www.vivaldi-conservatories.co.uk/images/pshapeimages/p_shape_conservatory_winter.jpg
 :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 October 2018, 21:02:08 »

Ours is not that big, it’s about 4.6m by 3m.

Currently drawing up plans to bulldoze it and build a proper extension, 7.5m by 4m.  8)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 October 2018, 21:05:28 »

That’s a big area of roof to insulate, I doubt you will see quotes sub 5 figures to put a decent roof on that. Even more so due to shape...

If foundations are good enough, strongly consider brick extension with timber roof.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 October 2018, 21:22:40 »

Currently drawing up plans to bulldoze it and build a proper extension, 7.5m by 4m.  8)
sell it on ebay, you will get cash,then , buyer will come dismantle and take away, you will save £174 quid on the skip you won't need and labour of removing it  :y
that's what I do , or rebuild conservatory elsewhere for someone else ,done that too  ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 October 2018, 21:36:20 »

sell it on ebay, you will get cash,then , buyer will come dismantle and take away, you will save £174 quid on the skip you won't need and labour of removing it  :y
that's what I do , or rebuild conservatory elsewhere for someone else ,done that too  ;D

Many have said put it on eBay, might do that. But, I would get great satisfaction in operating a mini digger to destroy it.  :D

2boxerdogs

« Reply #21 on: 17 October 2018, 21:46:24 »

This is the first conservatory we've had , only been in the house for 7 weeks but at the moment we love it got cane type table & chairs & cane sofa & chairs eat meals out there listen to music etc. Guy at work was quoted £6000 to have a "proper" roof put on his declined the offer.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 October 2018, 22:16:04 »

This is the first conservatory we've had , only been in the house for 7 weeks but at the moment we love it got cane type table & chairs & cane sofa & chairs eat meals out there listen to music etc. Guy at work was quoted £6000 to have a "proper" roof put on his declined the offer.

Cheers for that. I might get a quote just for a laugh. We do use it in the winter, particularly with dinner guests, but I'm just so mean I hate turning the heating on. Mind you, I get free electricity from my solar panels, so the underfloor costs very little, and a fan heater warms it very quickly. 8)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 October 2018, 22:30:43 »

Cheers for that. I might get a quote just for a laugh. We do use it in the winter, particularly with dinner guests, but I'm just so mean I hate turning the heating on. Mind you, I get free electricity from my solar panels, so the underfloor costs very little, and a fan heater warms it very quickly. 8)

Get a radiator fitted that’s on main house feed, that’s what I did. Helps a lot.  :y

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 October 2018, 06:53:32 »

Many have said put it on eBay, might do that. But, I would get great satisfaction in operating a mini digger to destroy it.  :D
The "great satisfaction" from trying to remove it with a mini digger would soon pale to insignificance ,once you started having to clear up all the broken glass by hand and the other clean up . a mini digger probably won't be man enough to chew the dwarf wall ? and base up into manageable chunks  :(
 even with a good builder,cleaning up on an extension build , will become tedious , unless you have "staff"  ::) (other than the resident cleaner Mrs Tunnie  :-X )
Sorry for the sad news I deliver, or as TB would say of me "oppsing depressing"  :D ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 18 October 2018, 07:52:59 »

Firstly, you cant fit a 'proper' roof as the structure is not able to take the associated loads.

Generally what appears to be done is that Celotex (or equivalent) is fitted to the under side using wooden battens and then plaster boarded over, some also then add a light weight roof covering (shingles or similar, I Have seen concrete tiles used but these would be way to heavy, even with Marley lights).

I do have some concerns with this as the upper side of the insulation will attract condensation and there is no ventilation in this part.

Either way, no matter what you do its going to be a compromise.

(I to hate conservatories, a plastic shed with lots of glass which still has to have an external door between it and the house its to big a compromise)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18 October 2018, 09:15:03 »

The "great satisfaction" from trying to remove it with a mini digger would soon pale to insignificance ,once you started having to clear up all the broken glass by hand and the other clean up . a mini digger probably won't be man enough to chew the dwarf wall ? and base up into manageable chunks  :(
 even with a good builder,cleaning up on an extension build , will become tedious , unless you have "staff"  ::) (other than the resident cleaner Mrs Tunnie  :-X )
Sorry for the sad news I deliver, or as TB would say of me "oppsing depressing"  :D ;D

I'm getting a builder in for the extension, so cleaning up is not a problem, I'd just ask to have first go when it's attacked.

Next couple of weeks having plans drawn up and using them for fixed price quotes for removal and new extension built.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18 October 2018, 09:22:43 »

Bless...

The whippersnapper thinks that builders tidy up... :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18 October 2018, 09:42:13 »

Well, if they want me to pay their last instalment, they will make tidy at the end.

No tidy. No final payment.  :)

It will be split into ~8 equal payments, as they expect it to take 8 weeks and I pay as they go along and that I'm happy with progress. Done work for some friends of ours, they were very happy.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 October 2018, 10:36:36 »

Get a radiator fitted that’s on main house feed, that’s what I did. Helps a lot.  :y

See #7. Two built in from main CH.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.