Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: light warning comes on but lights seem ok  (Read 5349 times)

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: light warning comes on but lights seem ok
« Reply #15 on: 02 October 2019, 04:37:32 »

I find that those 21/5W bulbs are best changed in pairs. Once one side blows the other is not far behind, even if it's a newer bulb. Use a pair of good quality bulbs and they will last. The ubiquitous Eurolec bulbs are more Euroc**p.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 October 2019, 07:25:50 »

I find that those 21/5W bulbs are best changed in pairs. Once one side blows the other is not far behind, even if it's a newer bulb. Use a pair of good quality bulbs and they will last. The ubiquitous Eurolec bulbs are more Euroc**p.
As a VX person, you should well know that the Omega uses 21/4 bulbs. Not the same thing ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 October 2019, 07:49:51 »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 October 2019, 08:19:40 »

As a VX person, you should well know that the Omega uses 21/4 bulbs. Not the same thing ;)

Go on then Al ..... explain. I have to admit I've never heard of the latter  :-\

but I've not needed to buy a stop/tail bulb for a while

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 October 2019, 08:46:16 »

Brief explanation here... https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1347621
The fittings are different, one is vertically offset, but otherwise opposite, tother is offset both vertically and laterally.

Both will technically fit by virtue of force and the crude design of the cluster contacts, but neither will accurately locate if you try which will lead to immediate contact issues and also severely limit the subsequent reliability should the correct bulb be fitted at a later point because the fitting on the bulb holder will have been irreversibly distorted  ;)
« Last Edit: 02 October 2019, 08:51:57 by Doctor Gollum »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 October 2019, 19:25:17 »

Brief explanation here... https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1347621
The fittings are different, one is vertically offset, but otherwise opposite, tother is offset both vertically and laterally.

Both will technically fit by virtue of force and the crude design of the cluster contacts, but neither will accurately locate if you try which will lead to immediate contact issues and also severely limit the subsequent reliability should the correct bulb be fitted at a later point because the fitting on the bulb holder will have been irreversibly distorted  ;)

Ah! Which explains why you see cars with different brilliancy tail lights  :y.... one is a tail light T'other is a brake light  ::)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 October 2019, 19:37:21 »

My Vw uses the offset pin 21/4 watters too :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 October 2019, 01:12:53 »

Saloons use dual filament 21/5W for the rear stop/tail bulb. And single filament 21W for the rear fog and reverse.
Estates use dual filament 21/4W for the rear fog/tail bulb. And single filament 21W for the rear stop and reverse.
The required bulb types are stated on the bulb holders.
I have no idea why the dual filament bulbs are different saloon to estate.
« Last Edit: 05 October 2019, 01:30:32 by Enceladus »

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 October 2019, 17:22:51 »

Saloons use dual filament 21/5W for the rear stop/tail bulb. And single filament 21W for the rear fog and reverse.
Estates use dual filament 21/4W for the rear fog/tail bulb. And single filament 21W for the rear stop and reverse.
The required bulb types are stated on the bulb holders.
I have no idea why the dual filament bulbs are different saloon to estate.

of course you do: German engineering
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.