Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: brake pad sensor  (Read 1543 times)

Toledodude1973

• Omega Knight
  • IPSWICH U.K.
  • 2002 2.6 elite,1973 ,Gas van,1974 victor fe
    • 2.6 OMEGA ELITE 2002
    • View Profile
brake pad sensor
« on: 08 December 2019, 18:17:13 »

Can someone confirm for me please is there  a brake pad sensor fitted to just one front caliper or both of them ? i'm thinking back doesn't have any? thankyou
2002 omega slowly morphing into 2003 omega with increasing doner parts fitted

Carfix

• Malmesbury, Wiltshire
    • 1997 & 1998 Omega Elites
    • View Profile
Re: brake pad sensor
« Reply #1 on: 08 December 2019, 18:46:28 »

On my pre-facelift 2.5 litre I have a front wear sensor on each caliper. (attached to one of the pads)

I think I remember that that this was changed to just one on the face-lift models?

I am sure someone can confirm this.

You can "fool" the pad warning system by bridging the terminals on the connector under the wheel arch. Useful if you damage the sensor on the pad during the pad change and you don't have a preplacement sensor handy.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 December 2019, 19:45:01 »

2.6/3.2 has a single sensor. Superior engine cars - 2.5/3.0 - have 2 sensors on the front axle.
Grumpy old man

Toledodude1973

• Omega Knight
  • IPSWICH U.K.
  • 2002 2.6 elite,1973 ,Gas van,1974 victor fe
    • 2.6 OMEGA ELITE 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 December 2019, 19:56:09 »

Thank you both for replies i can now order tonight  :y
2002 omega slowly morphing into 2003 omega with increasing doner parts fitted

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 December 2019, 22:26:54 »

All Facelifts have one sensor, fitted to the front nearside, and use 296mm front discs.
I believe all Pre-Facelifts have two sensors, one each side on the front.
Some base model early 4 pot models use 286mm discs and require different sensors and different pads to those with 296mm discs.
All models that use 296mm front discs of whatever vintage use the same sensor, either one or two.

The sensors are a PITA. They usually fall apart if you remove the pads for any reason. So they can't reliably be re-fitted and historically they were over-priced. Hence standard practice for Carltons, Senators and Omegas, going back years, has been to bridge the wires. Not an issue since you should be inspecting the front brakes regularly and not letting the pads get to minimum thickness.

However I recently saw something that suggested that the MOT test now checks that the sensor(s) is/are in place (and the warning light is not illuminated). Can anybody say if that applies to old Omegas or is it just newer vehicles?
« Last Edit: 08 December 2019, 22:36:50 by Enceladus »

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 December 2019, 10:51:32 »

All 2.6 / 3.2 Facelifts have one sensor, fitted to the front nearside, and use 296mm front discs.
I believe all Pre-Facelifts and Facelift 2.5 / 3.0 have two sensors, one each side on the front.
Some base model early 4 pot models use 286mm discs and require different sensors and different pads to those with 296mm discs.
All models that use 296mm front discs of whatever vintage use the same sensor, either one or two.

The sensors are a PITA. They usually fall apart if you remove the pads for any reason. So they can't reliably be re-fitted and historically they were over-priced. Hence standard practice for Carltons, Senators and Omegas, going back years, has been to bridge the wires. Not an issue since you should be inspecting the front brakes regularly and not letting the pads get to minimum thickness.

However I recently saw something that suggested that the MOT test now checks that the sensor(s) is/are in place (and the warning light is not illuminated). Can anybody say if that applies to old Omegas or is it just newer vehicles?

On my 2.5 Facelifts I have removed the sensors and bridged out at the plug under the wheel arch. They've been like this for years and have had no issues regarding MOT tests. As you say, regular servicing does away with the need to be reminded there's a problem with the pads every time you switch the ignition on, even when there's nothing wrong. They are a PITA.

I have several here that I've taken off so if anyone wants them FOC, let me know.

Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 December 2019, 11:22:24 »

As you say, regular servicing does away with the need to be reminded there's a problem with the pads every time you switch the ignition on, even when there's nothing wrong. They are a PITA.....

but I like stuff to work as intended  :y :y At least the warning stays off when cancelled til the next time the ignition is switched on .... my Merc reminds every time you press the pedal again (a system that 'earths' onto the disc rather than open circuit like the Omega)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 December 2019, 11:35:04 »

As you say, regular servicing does away with the need to be reminded there's a problem with the pads every time you switch the ignition on, even when there's nothing wrong. They are a PITA.....

but I like stuff to work as intended  :y :y At least the warning stays off when cancelled til the next time the ignition is switched on .... my Merc reminds every time you press the pedal again (a system that 'earths' onto the disc rather than open circuit like the Omega)

I'm with you, it's not hard to make them work: fit new sensors with the pads and replace both 40,000 miles later when they're worn out.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 December 2019, 16:47:57 »

I agree, I always have my sensors working.

I'm perplexed by NickW's 40k though.  I'm glad I'm not following a Metro around Kent ;D
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 December 2019, 22:49:36 »

I only ever fit the sensor on the first set of pads with new discs, the second set of pads and original discs will both be sacrificial.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.