Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap daily runaround car?  (Read 3977 times)

BazaJT

• Moaning Old Git
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap daily runaround car?
« Reply #15 on: 13 August 2020, 09:32:27 »

For something roughly Astra sized Volvo S40 with[I think] 1.9 diesel,something a bit bigger-both bodily and engine capacity-Volvo S60 with the 5 cylinder D5 or a bit larger body Volvo S80 again with D5.

Sir Tigger QC

• Omega Queen
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 August 2020, 10:21:22 »

Mk6 Fiesta 1.4 petrol!  :y

Cheap to buy, run, insure and maintain, roomy for the size and fun to drive, and I'd have one tomorrow if I needed a cheap runabout.  :)
« Last Edit: 13 August 2020, 10:24:16 by Sir Tigger QC »
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

JC is not The Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!!

Doctor Gollum

• Over Active Thyroid
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 August 2020, 11:07:37 »

Cheap to buy, run, insure and maintain, roomy for the size and fun to drive, and I'd have one tomorrow if I needed a cheap runabout.  :)
Would you do 25k miles a year in one?
Onanists always think outside the box.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 3x 3.2 V6 Elite Saloons
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 August 2020, 11:13:20 »

Volvo's are interesting cars, I guess at the price point it would be late Ford ownership and possibly early Geeley ownership. I don't think the D5 lump would be in the lower tax brackets would it?

Nick W

• Omega Lord
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 August 2020, 11:14:47 »

Me too. 750 gets you a nice, tidy car with a decent interior. Spend a day on a major service, new shocks, wishbones and four tyres and it's ready for 25,000 miles p/a with just oil changes twice a year. And there's a decent chunk of change change from your 2k budget.

Same thing applies to an Astra G.

However, if doing that sort of mileage, you do need to pick a car that you find comfortable.
« Last Edit: 13 August 2020, 11:18:17 by Nick W »

Nick W

• Omega Lord
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 August 2020, 11:17:38 »

It's like a mk1 Focus. But with comfortable seats. And driving position. And suspension. And a usable boot if that matters. And it doesn't make you wish you were blind every time you look at it.

Sir Tigger QC

• Omega Queen
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 August 2020, 11:25:57 »

Yes.  My Mum had one and it was surprisingly comfy on long journeys.  :y

Andy asked for a cheap runabout, not a luxobarge.  ::)  :P
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

JC is not The Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!!

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 August 2020, 11:26:26 »

However, if doing that sort of mileage, you do need to pick a car that you find comfortable.

That's a pretty key point, I don't really class 25K as high mileage as i've always done over 30K a year since I passed my test (When TV was black and white LOL!), the Omega Elite seats are excellent with the amount of adjustment and there's not many car seats that I find as comfortable and supportive.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 August 2020, 11:29:19 »

I'm really just trying to stir up debate here  :y

If you look at this from a perspective of lower road tax and Ulez exemption you start to be pushed towards newer cars, ironically a rusty 3.2 Omega is exempt for Ulez  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Over Active Thyroid
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 August 2020, 11:38:35 »

The seats in the S Class are more adjustable than the Omega as you can set the squab length independently of the seat position...

Steering column is electrically adjustable for both reach and rake.  ;)

Nick W

• Omega Lord
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13 August 2020, 11:39:18 »

That's a pretty key point, I don't really class 25K as high mileage as i've always done over 30K a year since I passed my test (When TV was black and white LOL!), the Omega Elite seats are excellent with the amount of adjustment and there's not many car seats that I find as comfortable and supportive.

I thought that until I rebuilt my 160,000 mile driver seat with the base and back foam from a passenger seat. That made it even better, in the same fitting new shocks and springs always does.

When buying a cheap car to do that sort of mileage, a good, clean, unmolested interior is high on the must have list.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13 August 2020, 11:45:42 »

I thought that until I rebuilt my 160,000 mile driver seat with the base and back foam from a passenger seat. That made it even better, in the same fitting new shocks and springs always does.

When buying a cheap car to do that sort of mileage, a good, clean, unmolested interior is high on the must have list.

Yes, There's a definite difference between my 105K and 237K Elite's as you'd expect, but I still maintain that the Elite seats are some of the best long distance seats ive spent time sat in on any car. I think the range of adjustment is equally as important as the sculpture and support of the seat.

Doctor Gollum

• Over Active Thyroid
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13 August 2020, 11:47:41 »

Yes.  My Mum had one and it was surprisingly comfy on long journeys.  :y

Andy asked for a cheap runabout, not a luxobarge.  ::)  :P
True, but there's a big difference between popping to the shops every five minutes (my definition of a runaround) and doing work mileages ;)

ULEZ could be a problem though, unless the charge is built into job pricing/offset against tax :-\
« Last Edit: 13 August 2020, 11:50:58 by Doctor Gollum »

Nick W

• Omega Lord
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13 August 2020, 12:01:39 »

Yes, There's a definite difference between my 105K and 237K Elite's as you'd expect, but I still maintain that the Elite seats are some of the best long distance seats ive spent time sat in on any car. I think the range of adjustment is equally as important as the sculpture and support of the seat.

I'm not a fan of lots of adjustments, as it encourages designers to skimp on the basic design/installation. And then you end up constantly fiddling with the adjustments to stay comfortable if you ever managed it in the first place. Mum's '12 Focus is like that;it has the usual rake, front back, height, lumbar etc, but the adjustments are far  too coarse and the height adjustment is done by a weird mech that moves in more than arc. With 3 of us driving it, I can never get the seat in the same barely good enough position twice.  The Omega seats got all of those right(they're by Recaro, so that's hardly a surprise) so that I took a few seconds to adjust the seat when I bought the car and never fiddled with it again. The memory function was useful to return to that on the few occasions my sister drove the car.

I found the sports Recaros that Ford used in the '70s and 80's to be better still: perfectly supportive and instantly comfortable, even though they have barely any padding on sheet steel frames and only the rake was adjustable. Somebody spent a lot of time actually designing the things to suit real bodies!

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Kidderminster
    • Swedish soot chucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13 August 2020, 13:16:18 »

Volvo's are interesting cars, I guess at the price point it would be late Ford ownership and possibly early Geeley ownership. I don't think the D5 lump would be in the lower tax brackets would it?

Personally I'd go pre-2006 as the facelifted cars have a more modern interior but are less comfortable. The D5 of that age is in the 300ish tax bracket, later ones are similar. Something like this (although no heated seats in this one):

S60 Linky

The C30 hatch is also worth considering if you are looking for astra size car. The D5 lump is big for a hatchback and gives them genuine poke. Here do  :y
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 23 queries.