Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Site Expectations  (Read 5251 times)

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
Site Expectations
« on: 14 July 2006, 15:24:44 »

I do hope this is the correct area and not too off topic.. ;)

So we all love the new place, and we all know who is responisble for the site.

So come on guys; Laidback, TheBoy, Mark DTM and Ronnie.......

You must have talked about your expectations for numbers of members and when you would expect to break certain barriers.

Is the uptake so far as expected, better than expected, beyond realistic hopes?

I am betting Sunday for Member 100!

Hope you all have some free time to sit back occasionally and marvel at your creation  ;)
« Last Edit: 14 July 2006, 15:25:26 by Markiec »
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Site Expectations
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2006, 15:39:48 »

3 days since launch, 70+ members and 1100+ posts. And thats before we're indexed in a search engine (though we have been trawled by Google, but not yet in its index).

I think that counts as your 3rd option ;)

But remember, its you, the members that make a forum, so thanks go to each and every one of you - Laidback, Marks_DTM, Ronnie McB, and myself really do appreciate your support here :)
Grumpy old man

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2006, 16:32:21 »

I don't think we did talk about expectations you know.

We just wanted to set up an Omega owners site. :)

Suffice to say we are rather shocked at the speed at which things are growing!  :)

As Jamie says, it is you guys that make this place and we are very grateful of your support so far.   [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Longer term aims?

2 fold.

1. Get the forum more established and supporting you guys as best as possble.

2. Develop the website itself.
We want to create THE place for all things Omega related on the internet.
This will take some time to design and build, but ultimately the aim is for the forum to be an integrated part of a larger site.

The site will have the complete background and history of the Omega with information on all models (including viewable brochures, etc), a better buyers guide, and a proper in depth explanation on how to maintain your Omega with step by step instructions and pictures.

Grand ideas, and they will take some time!  ;D

The Administrator.

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2006, 16:36:27 »

Sounds fantastic guys!!

As ever if you need any additional help in any way let me know.

Will do what i can if ever needed  ;)
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Martin_1962

« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2006, 16:47:20 »

I see so the guides will become HTML pages rather than served by the forum software.

Sounds good.

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #5 on: 14 July 2006, 17:25:10 »

Yep, my feelings precicely. Without raking through old coals, and nobody start doing so either, we all know why the forum was started. Personally I thought it would be mega-successful, but not this fast!!!

I agree with what Jamie and Dave have said. It is YOUR forum, not ours. We are all doing this because we love Omegas and have (if I dare say) a very extended knowledgebase of all things Omega. With your help and with a little tweak here and there from us as and when required, this will become a superb forum.

Is it what I expected? BETTER.

Thanks again to all of YOU for making it a sucess already.

SMS01

• Altrincham
  • Black Omega 3.0 manual estate 'P' reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 July 2006, 01:36:31 »

Thanks for all of the efforts so far - I think I can probably say for most of the members who have joined that it is being very well received and I look forward to seeing it develop over the coming months.

As for site development and ideas, the suggestions you have indicated sound great, if there is anything I can help with, let me know.

Steve

STMO123

« Reply #7 on: 15 July 2006, 18:59:29 »

Ahh...another Steve...we've got to be in the lead,surely

Martin_1962

« Reply #8 on: 15 July 2006, 19:34:58 »

I knew it would be big but not this big this quick - I also guessed to its existance about a week before it was live, after Ronnie left the other place I knew something would happen

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 July 2006, 08:27:20 »

no no no no mate the marks are romping it!!!

markey mark

• Omega Baron
  • SLady bitshorpe north lincs
  • banned for repeatedly reneaging on deals.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 July 2006, 20:03:17 »

doubt it have you seen all the marks on here  ;D ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 January 2021, 15:29:01 »

Stumbled across this thread...

Twelve years later, I wonder if those expectations have been met, and exceeded? In if so by how much.

2008 doesn't feel that long ago, but it must be several lifetimes in the interweb scheme of things...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 January 2021, 15:42:00 »

You need to go to Specsavers Al!  :P

It's 2006.  :)

Note also that Great Uncle STEMO features as well, way back in July 2006.  He really is an OOF old timer!  :y
« Last Edit: 08 January 2021, 15:43:49 by Sir Tigger QC »
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 January 2021, 17:03:49 »

You need to go to Specsavers Al!  :P

It's 2006.  :)

Note also that Great Uncle STEMO features as well, way back in July 2006.  He really is an OOF old timer!  :y
Where's the depressed smiley?  :(
Diesel till I die

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 January 2021, 19:41:49 »

Stumbled across this thread...

Twelve years later, I wonder if those expectations have been met, and exceeded? In if so by how much.

2008 doesn't feel that long ago, but it must be several lifetimes in the interweb scheme of things...
Well, I think we have been the most informative Omega resource for English speakers out there.  So from that respect, I think its been successful.  Additionally, I think there aren't many technical issues that the forum finds insurmountable.

Along the way, we've had a hell of a blast, from our very first meet (Allenm's head rebuild in the morning, Santa Pod in the afternoon/evening) to the last meet I'm aware of at Brakkers Rugby club in 2019. And all the Newents, Lakes, cam belt meets and so on along the way.  Many good friends and many fond memories along the way.

Dave had a plan for an associated site, which I was never convinced by (both for potential legal issues, and also because that wouldn't be interactive with members), hence I never progressed it, and when Dave left, the concept had no backers.  I guess that counts as a failure not to achieve that.

We wanted a light touch moderation allowing free speech, within reason, for members.  I think we have mostly managed that, although I am hugely aware we have had to restrict some subjects when passions on politics, tyres and so on run too high.

We set out that OOF would be free for anyone to access, and no tiered membership, and a concept of every member being equal.  We so desperately closely managed that, with the only tiering being around a certain number of posts in order to sell here, initially 50 posts, quickly raised to 250 posts.  With Paypal unilaterally cutting off our meagre income from the OOF Shop, we have significant challenges about that going forward, as OOF has purely been funded from the OOF Shop and the remainder from our silent sponsor.

I personally have a bucketload of regrets in various things I've said and done, which if I could re-live my time, would likely do differently, but we are where we are.  But these pale into almost insignificance with some of the laughs and help I've had here.

How about everyone else?
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.