Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fitting LPG - Running Pipework from Rear to Front  (Read 5782 times)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Fitting LPG - Running Pipework from Rear to Front
« on: 06 April 2010, 21:27:45 »

Once the tank is fitted you can run the liquid LPG pipe from the Rear end to the front. Unless you are fitting the front end straight away I wouldn't advise running this until you have done so.

I would strongly advise you to use Polyflex pipe wherever possible. Rubber coated copper pipe is perfectly acceptable but much harder to work with and will require some bending tools too.

Tape the wire(s) that need to run from the back to the front (for the solenoid and the level sender) to the Polyflex pipe and feed it through the "Top Hat" in the floor and through the Vent pipe in the boot, taking it up and into the gas tight box to the outlet valve, ensuring you have plenty of slack.

Secure the pipe as close to the point it comes out under the car as possible with a 'P' clip.

To comply with the COP 11 the LPG line must be secured with metal clips.

Next you need to route the pipe from back to front. There are lots of points to note here. To comply with COP 11 the pipe must be routed such that:

• It is outside the passenger cabin
  • It does not pass within 150mm of a heat source (exhaust)
  • It cannot be crushed/chafed by any suspension/brake parts
  • It cannot be damaged by any "flying debris" in the normal course of driving
  • It is not liable to crush damage when jacking the car
  • It is secured by metal clips at intervals of no more than 600mm (I work on around 400-450mm for extra security)
  • It is predominantly visible
This sounds like a huge list but it is actually common sense ;)

If the pipe is running in a position where it may get chafed or is visible in the wheel arch a bit of heater hose will act as a good protector, as seen here.

An obvious route to use is to follow the run of the petrol lines, with a slight deviation where they drop into the exhaust 'recess'

As you can see, I have used some cable ties as additional security :y

You can just about find enough space to feed the pipes above the rear trailing arm, as near as possible to the pivot, securing it either side and still comply with COP 11.

There should be plenty of room to pass the pipe and wiring through one of the grommets with the fuel lines

Where the LPG line runs up through the driver's wheel arch I have used some heater hose, with gaps for the 'P' clips, to protect it from any flying debris and also where it passes into the engine bay.

As you can see here, the LPG line is passing through a different aperture into the engine bay... I can't decide if I think it's a better route or not, but it's an alternative ;)

As an additional point to note, the COP 11 states that there should be "Pig's Tails" of at least 3 coils at either end of the pipe run. If using copper then these are quite important as they allow for expansion/contraction but with Polyflex a little slack is sufficient :y

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of fitting the ends to the Polyflex to enable the connections to be made. I'll take some and add them when I next get a chance :y
« Last Edit: 12 April 2010, 08:09:51 by jimbob »
Whatever it is... I didn't do it
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.