Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Might be of imterest JLR independant garage  (Read 2616 times)

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
Re: Might be of imterest JLR independant garage
« Reply #15 on: 27 February 2024, 18:56:35 »

What the hell ever happened to proper duplex chains?
Laying a rubber road.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 February 2024, 20:48:22 »

Out of the 40+ vehicles I've owned the only ones I've had absolutely no problems with are the 2001 2.6 Omega & the two Subaru Foresters we've had ( still got one). The Omega covered around 45,000 miles in the  6 years I owned it only required annual service, including timing belt, the first Subaru 70,000 miles totally trouble free & the present one a 2005 on 57,000 miles totally original nil repairs only annual servicing. The more I hear about new cars the less I think about getting one.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 February 2024, 07:50:09 »

The more I hear about new cars the less I think about getting one.
How much of that is actually due to genuine unreliability, and how much is due to perceptions generated on and via social media?

After all, you currently drive what is perceived to be one of the most unreliable cars in the world, and the only uninsurable car in the country, but its been reasonably trouble free?

I (well, she) drive one of these 2l diesel Ingeniums, and engine related problems so far consists of having to replace an EGR filter when we bought it - easy enough job, apart from I managed to shear a bolt.  I've had to replace a glow plug as well, but consider that a service item.  TBH, the EGR filters are service items as well IMHO.  Yet I'm told the reliability of this engine makes the Range Rover look like a Toyota ;)

Although I agree that the amount of emission bolt ons on all, but especially diesel, modern engines is never going to help with reliability of anything, not will it help much with overall emissions, but it keeps the misinformed idiots happy...
Grumpy old man

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 February 2024, 09:15:13 »

No I've been pretty fortunate with the RR so far & try to keep on top of any problems asap, I've been advised to replace the suspension compressor as its thrown up a couple of faults recently & is getting sluggish in operation, according to the service history it was replaced a few years ago so that's booked in at the beginning of April before I start towing the caravan.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 February 2024, 10:18:15 »

No I've been pretty fortunate with the RR so far & try to keep on top of any problems asap, I've been advised to replace the suspension compressor as its thrown up a couple of faults recently & is getting sluggish in operation, according to the service history it was replaced a few years ago so that's booked in at the beginning of April before I start towing the caravan.
Yup, get it done.  Not sure if its worth checking for leaks in pipework before replacing compressor, depending what the actual codes are?
Grumpy old man

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 February 2024, 11:10:28 »

Yup, get it done.  Not sure if its worth checking for leaks in pipework before replacing compressor, depending what the actual codes are?

He checked the codes when it was last in for the new brake pipes, definitely compressor bags + pipes all okay at the moment but you know as well as I do once you've replaced one part chances are something else will go " on the blink" best bit of advice I was given by my farmer mate whose run RRs for years is keep a slush fund of around £3,000 always available 👍

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 February 2024, 11:55:46 »

When you get it done, it may be worth requesting the old compressor back and rebuilding it. It's normally the little piston rings (plastic) which wear and cause sub par performance.

The rebuild kits are very cheap and you have a spare in case it decides to give up at an inconvenient moment (just pulling off a caravan site springs to mind). Swapping them over is a quick and easy job.

My parents ran P38 range rivers for over a decade and my dad always kept a rebuilt spare as a just in case. Came in handy a couple of times as their place was miles from civilization.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 February 2024, 22:34:04 »

Ask whoever is doing it to check the air reservoir as they seem to rot out and leak,seen two or three do this in the last year or so
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 18 queries.