Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heater temperamental! Typical in this weather!  (Read 904 times)

zl600a1

• East Sussex
    • View Profile
Heater temperamental! Typical in this weather!
« on: 10 January 2009, 16:47:59 »

My 1999 pre-faclift 2.0 CDX heater fan would not come on this morning. And given it was -7 degress C I do not blame it! Anyway I kept hitting the auto buttom on the climate control and then the fan speed and once it tried to fire up but coughed and died! So I looked at the fuse #33 and all was ok. So for some unknown reason I lifted the bonnet and then the fan started! So I shut it down and the fan has been fine since. I have driven the car 3 tiimes since today without any trouble at all.

Is this a symptom of further problems to come? Possibly a loose connection?

Any reasonable suggestions  ::) gratefully received!

Cheers

Dave

feeutfo

Re: Heater temperamental! Typical in this weather!
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2009, 19:23:55 »

My 1999 pre-faclift 2.0 CDX heater fan would not come on this morning. And given it was -7 degress C I do not blame it! Anyway I kept hitting the auto buttom on the climate control and then the fan speed and once it tried to fire up but coughed and died! So I looked at the fuse #33 and all was ok. So for some unknown reason I lifted the bonnet and then the fan started! So I shut it down and the fan has been fine since. I have driven the car 3 tiimes since today without any trouble at all.

Cheers

Dave
Has the scuttle drain over flowed into the cabin at any point that you know of? any signs of water damage in the passenger foot well or musty smell? When the drain blocks it tends to poor water over the fan motor, which cant be good for it. cant help any more than that I'm afraid, others will be along no doubt :-/

zl600a1

• East Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2009, 20:25:47 »

Cheers

Dave
Has the scuttle drain over flowed into the cabin at any point that you know of? any signs of water damage in the passenger foot well or musty smell? When the drain blocks it tends to poor water over the fan motor, which cant be good for it. cant help any more than that I'm afraid, others will be along no doubt :-/

That all sounds too familiar for my liking!!!

Yes all of that. Sounds like the exact problem too me!!!

I found the technical help for clearing the scuttle drain here on this forum but where exactly is it? I can't quite work it out!

Cheers

Dave

zl600a1

• East Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 January 2009, 20:32:02 »

Cheers

Dave

I know this forum is for Omegas but...

My wife has a Rover 214si which suffers from water in the passenger footwell, could this be the same cause?

Cheers

Dave

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 January 2009, 20:38:39 »

Possibly.
Vx Trade club card holder
Halfords trade card holder

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 January 2009, 20:41:53 »

Cheers

Dave

I found the technical help for clearing the scuttle drain here on this forum but where exactly is it? I can't quite work it out!

Cheers

Dave

It's the vented bits below the windscreen. You can get inside it by lifting the bonnet looking to the right (Passenger side ) and lifting the access panel. This is where all the crap gathers and blocks the drain hole.

HTH

Paul  :y
Vx Trade club card holder
Halfords trade card holder

zl600a1

• East Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 January 2009, 20:44:08 »

Cheers

Dave

Cheers

Dave

It's the vented bits below the windscreen. You can get inside it by lifting the bonnet looking to the right (Passenger side ) and lifting the access panel. This is where all the crap gathers and blocks the drain hole.

HTH

Paul  :y

Paul,

Thanks for that!

Cheers

Dave

zl600a1

• East Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 January 2009, 11:44:00 »

Ok so I found the scuttle drain but darned if I could unblock the plug. Here are the pictures of my scuttle drain on the passengers side:

I could not reach the plug properly but tried pushing a stiff plastic tube through it but got scared to put too much effort into it in case I busted something! How much force can I use?

Cheers

Dave

vauxfan2k

• Omega Knight
  • Western Isles
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 January 2009, 11:54:43 »

you can get to the outside of the tube from behind the n/s front wheel, looks like a flattened black duck beak (bad description) just prise that open and scoop out the crud  :y

zl600a1

• East Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 January 2009, 12:01:52 »

you can get to the outside of the tube from behind the n/s front wheel, looks like a flattened black duck beak (bad description) just prise that open and scoop out the crud  :y

Thanks

I'll give it a go!

Dave

PxMetro

• Stamford
  • Maryland Cookies are brilliant for dunking
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 January 2009, 13:15:37 »

I use a length of welding rod or similar with a 90Deg bend 50mil from the end. Working from the top you can work the bent end down and through the drain. You don't have to be too fierce with it, just work it around sufficient to let the crud out.

Main problem seems to be small peices of tree blossom etc during the spring time which can get through the mesh at the top, but to big to pass through the drain hole. ::) ::)

Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.