Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Average MPG City/Motorway For A 2.0/2.5 Petrol?  (Read 1041 times)

Zonete

• View Profile
Average MPG City/Motorway For A 2.0/2.5 Petrol?
« on: 18 December 2009, 06:16:55 »

Hi, I'm looking at two auctions at the momment. They both have around 130,000 miles on them, and they've gone through semi-decent service in their time.

My question is, if I was to go for either one, what would the average MPG be for a 2.0 Omega and a 2.5 Omega, city and motorway. They are both 1998 models.

Thanks!

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
Re: Average MPG City/Motorway For A 2.0/2.5 Petrol?
« Reply #1 on: 18 December 2009, 06:28:45 »

You would do better with the 2.5 as its far better equipped and the V6 motors are renowned for their reliability and longevity. Mine has neck and of 170000 on it and is still very fit and well, a few minor problems is all I have had.
Mileage don't matter, its how well and regularly it was serviced and whether decent replacement parts, if any, were used.
MPG, yeah well its the same story as it depends on how it is driven. Mine averages 23-25 urban around town and 36 rural. Motorway at cruise with cruise control on has given me 46 average over a hundred  miles before now from Leicester to Skegness, next time I went it gave me 54 even with the route being serioiusly laden with all types of the dreaded average and speed cameras.
Common sense really.
GudLuk
« Last Edit: 18 December 2009, 06:33:48 by its.ray »
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

Zonete

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 December 2009, 06:33:59 »

You would do better with the 2.5 as its far better equipped and the V6 motors are renowned for their reliability and longevity. Mine has neck and of 170000 on it and is still very fit and well, a few minor problems is all I have had.
Mileage don't matter, its how well and regularly it was serviced and whether decent replacement parts, if any, were used.
Common sense really.
GudLuk

Hi, does it let you know the MPG on your dash? You know, the little LCD screen. If so, what is your average on a 2.5 in the city?

I'm in London BTW.

Thanks

sparkyw666.

• Intermediate Member
  • aberdeen uk
  • aka mark w
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 December 2009, 15:09:19 »

i average 20 to the gallon in town and 32 to the gallon on the motorway i have a 3.0l tho :-)
v6 cam locking kit  member:y

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
  • Facelift 2.5TD Estate "Chipped" not anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 December 2009, 18:01:59 »

To give you an idea on what the 2ltr may do (don't know whether they are better or worse than a 2.2
My 2.2 averages 20-23mpg around town with around 34-36mpg on a motorway cruise sticking to the speed limits.

Mick

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 December 2009, 18:12:21 »

This won't help the OP, but can anyone tell me a measured (not computed) MPG for a chipped 2.5td? :-?

damon80

• Wigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 December 2009, 22:00:12 »

This won't help the OP, but can anyone tell me a measured (not computed) MPG for a chipped 2.5td? :-?

If you mean for your own motor, you'd be best working it out yourself.  Brim the tank, reset trip-odo, do a week's driving (or however much you trust to be a fair comparison of your typical driving), top up to the brim again making a note of how many litres ittook to fill and how many miles on the trip.

Divide the litres it took to fill by 4.54, and divide the number of miles you've done by that.

For example, my fuel consumption when I filled up tonight was:
38.72 litres divided by 4.54 = 8.528 gallons.
296 miles, divided by 8.528 = 34.7mpg
That's a mixture of city centre and motorway driving.  A bit down on the usual 38mpg I get, but it's getting due a service, and I've been leaving it running on our (locked! to keep it safe from theiving chavs!) driveway in a morning to de-ice and warm it up before driving to work.

Not too bad for a 3.2 me thinks!

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 December 2009, 22:12:23 »

38 MPG from a 3.2 ???   

I find that exceedingly hard to believe to be honest .. :(

If I drive like a vicar on the motorway I can just about get into the 30's ... around town not a chance...

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 December 2009, 22:21:20 »

If you mean for your own motor, you'd be best working it out yourself.  Brim the tank, reset trip-odo, do a week's driving (or however much you trust to be a fair comparison of your typical driving), top up to the brim again making a note of how many litres ittook to fill and how many miles on the trip.

Divide the litres it took to fill by 4.54, and divide the number of miles you've done by that.

That's a mixture of city centre and motorway driving.  A bit down on the usual 38mpg I get, but it's getting due a service, and I've been leaving it running on our (locked! to keep it safe from theiving chavs!) driveway in a morning to de-ice and warm it up before driving to work.

Surprisingly perhaps, I had worked that out, which is why I wanted to check other td owners' figures. ::)

damon80

• Wigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 December 2009, 22:22:37 »

38 MPG from a 3.2 ???   

I find that exceedingly hard to believe to be honest .. :(

If I drive like a vicar on the motorway I can just about get into the 30's ... around town not a chance...

It's a manual my good man - pulls cleanly from 15mph in 5th gear, and very rarely goes over 2,500rpm (only time it gets up to that is when crusing on motorway, which is bang-on 70mph on it's calibrated speedo).

On a straight motorway run down to Dover, with me the wife and kids on board, with our luggage, got 40mpg.

These are real-world figures, and I check my fuel consumption each time I fill up, because I like to see where my money is going (seeing as I'm as tight as a duck's behind!  :-[ )!

Don't get me wrong - if I cane it (which I rarely do), then it does plummet.  Like when doing an indicated 140mph on the Autobahn - could literally see the fuel gauge going down  :(  But there was still plently of pull left in the ol' girl - but there weren't any bravery left in me to take it beyond!

damon80

• Wigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 December 2009, 22:24:01 »

Surprisingly perhaps, I had worked that out, which is why I wanted to check other td owners' figures. ::)

Sorry, from reading your response/request, it sounded like ou generally wanted to know what mpg a chipped 2.5td would do.  Apologies.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 December 2009, 10:20:39 »

Sorry, from reading your response/request, it sounded like ou generally wanted to know what mpg a chipped 2.5td would do.  Apologies.

None taken ;D ;D ;D

cmeonthemove

• Intermediate Member
  • Taverham, Norwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 December 2009, 18:35:25 »

If it helps my daily commute consists 5 miles of country lanes followed by a 15 mile dual carriageway blast then about 5 miles of city traffic. I average 29mpg with my 2.5.

On a motorway run it averaged 37mpg.
Chris
------
2.5 Elite
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.