Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Won't start, possibly starter motor  (Read 4493 times)

Jayrich872001

• Telford
    • 2002 Omega 2.6V6 auto CDX
    • View Profile
Won't start, possibly starter motor
« on: 18 January 2017, 10:04:40 »

Bought my omega last weekend, went perfect for 2 days then developed a huge oil leak, oil all over the front of the engine and the plenum pipes, I popped out to get some oil and came out from the shop to find the alarm going off, unlocked the car and now when I turn the key all I get is a single click (I assume from the starter). Any ideas? TIA

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
Re: Won't start, possibly starter motor
« Reply #1 on: 18 January 2017, 10:10:35 »

Assuming auto?  Could be selector switch on the transmission failing to contact properly. Try putting it in neutral rather than park. Put the handbrake on first tho ;)
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

Jayrich872001

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 January 2017, 10:14:39 »

Yeah, sorry should have specified auto, I'll give it a go when I get back, pretty sure the recovery guy tried it but worth a try. Cheers.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 January 2017, 16:35:37 »

Went to look at a realy Nice omega in telford back end of last year.low mileage and a darker silver than star silver. £3000 from a trader. This wouldnt be the one you got would it ?

Jayrich872001

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 January 2017, 19:23:21 »

Still no start in park or neutral unfortunately. I'm assuming its the starter motor.

And no cam.in.head, mines gold. Not my personally choice of colour buy for what I want it for it was cheap enough to spend a bit of money on getting it how I want it.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2017, 19:41:46 »

Bought my omega last weekend, went perfect for 2 days then developed a huge oil leak, oil all over the front of the engine and the plenum pipes, I popped out to get some oil and came out from the shop to find the alarm going off, unlocked the car and now when I turn the key all I get is a single click (I assume from the starter). Any ideas? TIA

Battery. Get it tested.
While you're at it, check that the click is from the starter, as assuming these things will lead to a trail of expensive work/new parts that don't fix an easy problem.

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2017, 07:55:17 »

Could also be worth disconnecting the Powersounder too, located under scuttle on N/S....

Battery does sound like its flat with the alarm going off and just a click, but its gone flat very quickly....
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 January 2017, 08:42:35 »

Could also be worth disconnecting the Powersounder too, located under scuttle on O/S....

Battery does sound like its flat with the alarm going off and just a click, but its gone flat very quickly....
Fixed :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2017, 12:33:36 »

Check the crimping of the large leads entering the battery terminals too. These get loose causing poor charging and the resistance also causes starting issues. The dead give-away is that they start to get warm.

There should be a grounding strap from the engine to the chassis and up to the battery negative terminal. It connects just under the air conditioning compressor. Check this is sound.

Try connecting a jump lead from another vehicle, negative to the lifting eye on the engine and positive to the battery + terminal. This will eliminate the battery and possibly the grounding strap.

Try connecting the smaller solenoid terminal on the starter directly to the battery +ve terminal WITH THE TRANSMISSION IN "N"! See if it turns over then. If that works, you have high resistance in the ignition switch or gearbox selector at a guess.

Starter motors are normally super reliable on the V6, so makes sense to check everything else thoroughly.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2017, 15:04:46 »

The starter motor was suspect a couple of years ago on a 3.2 I have. It had been stood for a few months. I eliminated any possible battery issues. It had your symptoms of a 'click' from the starter. Initially, it would start with a long piece of hard wood on the starter motor and giving it a tap with a lump hammer, but you need the help of a third party to turn the key.
However after a few days, it wouldn't start at all.
I changed the starter motor and it's been fine ever since.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Jayrich872001

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 January 2017, 15:16:26 »

Hi all thanks for the replies, the battery is fine, been tested and perfect. Got someone coming tomorrow to have a look at it. Hopefully be running for the weekend. Good news is iv found my oil leak and sorted hopefully

Jayrich872001

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 January 2017, 15:39:21 »

Just given the starter motor a whack while someone flicked the key, started getting a single click every time the key turned sometimes a second click, I'm assuming this is a good indication the starter is stuck??

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 January 2017, 16:08:13 »

Usually points to a duff battery on the Omega...

For peace of mind carry out Kevin Woods excellent charging and alternator test and report back...

Jayrich872001

• Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 January 2017, 16:10:05 »

Check the crimping of the large leads entering the battery terminals too. These get loose causing poor charging and the resistance also causes starting issues. The dead give-away is that they start to get warm.

There should be a grounding strap from the engine to the chassis and up to the battery negative terminal. It connects just under the air conditioning compressor. Check this is sound.

Try connecting a jump lead from another vehicle, negative to the lifting eye on the engine and positive to the battery + terminal. This will eliminate the battery and possibly the grounding strap.

Try connecting the smaller solenoid terminal on the starter directly to the battery +ve terminal WITH THE TRANSMISSION IN "N"! See if it turns over then. If that works, you have high resistance in the ignition switch or gearbox selector at a guess.

Starter motors are normally super reliable on the V6, so makes sense to check everything else thoroughly.

Kevin I have checked all the crimping, all looks OK, as for the ground strap on the battery I'm assuming it will be the orange wire. It all looks OK. The battery has been tested and is all fine. What would I use to connect the smaller solenoid terminal to the battery? Many thanks

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 January 2017, 16:11:59 »

See my last... How has the battery been ruled out? Any way other than the method I suggested is generally inconclusive.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 18 queries.