Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What size hose clips??  (Read 1545 times)

Jayrich872001

• Telford
    • 2002 Omega 2.6V6 auto CDX
    • View Profile
What size hose clips??
« on: 03 February 2017, 08:33:58 »

Replaced the HBV and while taking the clips off managed to damage the clips, anyone have any idea on the hose diameter so I can get the correct size clips, not at home so can't measure them. Also need to get jubilee clips for the inlet pipes on on the front of the plenum as previous owner has cable tied them so size for those would be appreciated too. The car is so close to being ready its doing my head in, just wanna drive it.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: What size hose clips??
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2017, 09:42:51 »

Probably easiest to replace the HBV clips with jubilee clips or ask someone breaking a car on here to send you some. If you don't get spring clips exactly the right size, they don't work at all well, whereas there's much more latitude with jubilee clips.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2017, 11:46:45 »

There's a wide overlap in Jubilee clip sizes, you want to use the smallest that fits easily.

I think the HBV hoses want a 20mm(ish) clip. I would have to look at mine to be sure.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2017, 11:52:19 »

Having changed a HBV last week I think the hose barbs are a little larger for than normal 16mm heater hose, which would be a tight fit on a 20mm clip, so I'd probably go for around 25mm. Best to measure yourself, though. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 February 2017, 11:56:54 »

Got one in my hand. Pipe diameter is 19mm, end of pipe taper is 21mm max. I was told years ago that to re-use the sprung clips, as a jubilee clip, if overtightened, could split the plastic, also would not yield as the pipes warmed up and expanded.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 February 2017, 13:00:48 »

Got one in my hand. Pipe diameter is 19mm, end of pipe taper is 21mm max. I was told years ago that to re-use the sprung clips, as a jubilee clip, if overtightened, could split the plastic, also would not yield as the pipes warmed up and expanded.

If you look up the expansion rates, and do some back-of-an-envelope calculations you'll realise what a crock that actually is.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 February 2017, 07:10:40 »

If you look up the expansion rates, and do some back-of-an-envelope calculations you'll realise what a crock that actually is.
Quite right, expansion warning was nonsense. Also refitting HBV is easier if I can tighten the clips when HBV is in situ, all pipes on. I have never split an HBV pipe by overtightening a jubilee clip, but have suffered a leak by undertightening.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 February 2017, 08:29:58 »

The two benefits of the spring clips are
1.) that they maintain a constant pressure on the hose even if/when the rubber relaxes - a jubilee clip compresses the rubber and relies on the rubber remaining elastic to stay tight
2.) with the right tool it takes a moment to fit a spring clip rather than minutes twirling a screwdriver or mini socket and then worrying about getting the thing too loose/tight

I have lost count of the number of failed jubilee clips I have binned over the years but I have never had a spring clip fail.  If you don't have the tool though then the spring clip is a pain in the arris.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.