Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Statins  (Read 4448 times)

STEMO

Statins
« on: 19 September 2019, 15:01:14 »

Went for my MOT at the doctors on Monday and got a letter from them today. Your cholesterol results are back and would you make an appointment. I know what's coming because I've had this conversation a few times now, so:
I'm guessing a few on here are on statins and I'm looking for your views, positive or negative. I suppose I'm just being anti when I refuse them each year and, maybe, I should consider giving them a go. You hear so many negative stories but, I guess, there must be tens of thousands taking them with no ill effects.

RossPhim

• Morayshire, Scotland
  • The blue oval now-a-days!?!
    • 2.2 TDCi TXS
    • View Profile
Re: Statins
« Reply #1 on: 19 September 2019, 15:17:38 »

I've been on them for 10 years or so, with no issues yet.
And I'm still a youngster really.  ::) ::)
 :-X :-X

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 19 September 2019, 15:19:48 »

And have they lowered your cholesterol levels?

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 September 2019, 15:22:45 »

Eating plenty of dates and pears will have a similar effect on Cholesterol.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

RossPhim

• Morayshire, Scotland
  • The blue oval now-a-days!?!
    • 2.2 TDCi TXS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 September 2019, 15:26:39 »

And have they lowered your cholesterol levels?
Yep!
Must admit they weren't sky high before (although high enough to worry the doctor), but never been mentioned since.
As a caveat, I do have other medical issues so need to careful of the things like this!

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 September 2019, 16:31:12 »

After a health check last year[first and only one I've ever had]it was noted that I had slightly high cholesterol and doctor prescribed lowest dose statins,after taking the first two I stopped and binned them they didn't sit well with me at all.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 September 2019, 16:51:43 »

No medication for me. :y

Although some will think it must be necessary. :)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 September 2019, 16:54:26 »

You should have persevered with them, Baza; the health benefits far outweigh any minor contra-effects. I have been taking 40mg doses for years and they help with my other issues besides cholesterol, such as high blood pressure.
Incidentally, the oft-repeated advice to limit egg consumption (because they sre high in cholesterol) has long been discredited: just because you ingest cholesterol doesn't mean that you retain it. Does eating beef turn you into a cow? :)

Ron.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 September 2019, 17:21:50 »

Been on them about 10 years, although I was barely over the line. Have had no problems at all. For Baza, my wife had about 3 different types before one that suited, so just ask for a different make and try again if required. :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 September 2019, 17:40:36 »

Add prunes into the mix and Uncle STEMO's bowels will go into hyper drive!  :o  ;D

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 September 2019, 17:52:47 »

Was put on statins a few years ago, Simvastatin. No real problems. After a period of time it was decided by medical professionals that Simvastatin  had adverse side effects, so was changed to Atorvastatin, 1/2 the dose of the other one. That,s when my problems started. Aches and pains in both arms and legs, plus feeling weak all the time. Cycling and even climbing stairs was painful. Stopped taking the drug and changed my diet to healthier foods. Upshot is that i now feel better than i did 10/15 years ago. Really it,s down to the individual how you approach this, as you may find that the Statins don,t affect you at all, (as others have said in their cases). Just had my yearly checkup and my cholesterol is falling year by year. HTH  :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 September 2019, 18:34:04 »

Add prunes into the mix and Uncle STEMO's bowels will go into hyper drive!  :o  ;D

Please don't remind us. :-X :-X :-X

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 September 2019, 18:55:42 »

Please don't remind us. :-X :-X :-X

He'll blame it on the whippet.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 September 2019, 19:00:33 »

A damn good purge might help his cholesterol levels.   :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 September 2019, 19:04:18 »

A damn good purge might help his cholesterol levels.   :)

Yes....he is from the North so probably not familiar with fruit and vegetables. :)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 19 September 2019, 19:16:39 »

Been on statins for about 6 years with no issues. Where my weight has been creeping up & I had put on 3kg over the last 12 months I had worsening lower joint pain & my Type 2 diabetes control has been worse. I had over the last 6 months been cutting out carbohydrates like potatoes & rice, but could not face going without brown bread, but after being told if my weight & insulation resistance were not better controlled long term I would probably end up having to inject insulation, it was time to take action. Four weeks a go I started a very low calorie & carb diet which meant totally cutting out bread, but also eating plenty of protein so I don't lose muscle bulk. Within 3 days my lower joint pain had gone so there is obviously something in wheat that my body doesn't like that I was previously unaware of.

I've personally found it the easiest diet I've ever been on, where hunger is a dull ache rather than run out of short energy boosting carbohydrates cravings & in the 4 weeks, I've lost 5kg. Daily, it consists of meat, fish, eggs, nuts, non-root vegetables, salads & small quantities of lower sugar & carbohydrate fruits like strawberries, blackberries & blueberries. The only disadvantage I've found is where it contains less fibre I'm not so regular, so I'm now taking a Psyllium husk & Inulin fibre supplement which is helping. If you want a weekend alcoholic drink, high carbohydrate beer is out where it is made from malted barley & likewise cider from its high sugar content. Dry white & red wine are fine & where I like pint sized drinks, white wine & carbonated water is an acceptable substitute.

This is the book I found most useful for setting up a low carbohydrate diet: "The Real Meal Revolution by Professor John Noakes

and this one recommended by my diabetic nurse for fast safe weight loss: "The Fast 800" by Dr Michael Mosley.

and if in the future (I don't yet & I'm very happy with the current diet) if I want to make some very low carb bread (about 10g a slice) I've now got a couple of recipe books for this. The only thing is that wheat flour substitutes like almond flour are expensive, so you are looking at £3 a loaf in ingredients even when buying in reasonable bulk quantities.

Where there are two types of cholesterol, HDL is fine, it is LDL that is the problem & from what I've read, when on a low carb diet you can't make much of this. I've got a fasting blood test in November & will keep you posted on any improvements.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 September 2019, 19:19:23 »

Been on statins for about 6 years with no issues. Where my weight has been creeping up & I had put on 3kg over the last 12 months I had worsening lower joint pain & my Type 2 diabetes control has been worse. I had over the last 6 months been cutting out carbohydrates like potatoes & rice, but could not face going without brown bread, but after being told if my weight & insulation resistance were not better controlled long term I would probably end up having to inject insulation, it was time to take action. Four weeks a go I started a very low calorie & carb diet which meant totally cutting out bread, but also eating plenty of protein so I don't lose muscle bulk. Within 3 days my lower joint pain had gone so there is obviously something in wheat that my body doesn't like that I was previously unaware of.

I've personally found it the easiest diet I've ever been on, where hunger is a dull ache rather than run out of short energy boosting carbohydrates cravings & in the 4 weeks, I've lost 5kg. Daily, it consists of meat, fish, eggs, nuts, non-root vegetables, salads & small quantities of lower sugar & carbohydrate fruits like strawberries, blackberries & blueberries. The only disadvantage I've found is where it contains less fibre I'm not so regular, so I'm now taking a Psyllium husk & Inulin fibre supplement which is helping. If you want a weekend alcoholic drink, high carbohydrate beer is out where it is made from malted barley & likewise cider from its high sugar content. Dry white & red wine are fine & where I like pint sized drinks, white wine & carbonated water is an acceptable substitute.

This is the book I found most useful for setting up a low carbohydrate diet: "The Real Meal Revolution by Professor John Noakes

and this one recommended by my diabetic nurse for fast safe weight loss: "The Fast 800" by Dr Michael Mosley.

and if in the future (I don't yet & I'm very happy with the current diet) if I want to make some very low carb bread (about 10g a slice) I've now got a couple of recipe books for this. The only thing is that wheat flour substitutes like almond flour are expensive, so you are looking at £3 a loaf in ingredients even when buying in reasonable bulk quantities.

Where there are two types of cholesterol, HDL is fine, it is LDL that is the problem & from what I've read, when on a low carb diet you can't make much of this. I've got a fasting blood test in November & will keep you posted on any improvements.

Gluten?

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 September 2019, 19:56:19 »

Possibly.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 September 2019, 20:42:44 »

If so then you'll have had a double benefit as I assume you'd cut out beer too  :y

aaronjb

« Reply #19 on: 20 September 2019, 07:37:06 »

Possibly.

Yeah, all you hipsters are gluten intolerant these days..  :P ;)

My exes dad was on Statins - whichever variant they were gave him terrible aches & pains to the point he struggled doing what he enjoyed (restoring old motorbikes) so he stopped taking them. That was .. seven years ago, maybe, when we were still together.

He's no longer with us, sadly, due to a heart attack in his 50s a couple of years ago. So .. maybe consider taking them, Ste? (Ste? STEMO doesn't seem appropriate when I'm not ripping the piss and being serious for a change..)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 September 2019, 09:00:01 »

If so then you'll have had a double benefit as I assume you'd cut out beer too  :y

Absolutely, only now drinking a few wines at the weekend.

STEMO

« Reply #21 on: 20 September 2019, 11:01:58 »

Thanks, all. The doc is ringing later, so I'll get the actual figures then. I had a good read up on't internet and for every negative there is a positive. Isn't that always the way.

If he/she were to tell me that I could eat whatever shite I wanted to and the statins were a get out of jail free card, I'd be straight on them.  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #22 on: 20 September 2019, 11:33:30 »

The doctor just rang. Total cholesterol, which ideally should be below 5, is 6.3, so she recommended statins. When I pushed her on my LDL (bad cholesterol) reading, which should be below 3, she told me it was 2.7.
These buggers try to get you to accept that anything over 5 for total cholesterol is bad and you should take statins, but I've read it's the LDL that counts. 'Eat healthier and we'll test you again in three months' she said. Yeah, right.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20 September 2019, 12:17:35 »

The doctor just rang. Total cholesterol, which ideally should be below 5, is 6.3, so she recommended statins. When I pushed her on my LDL (bad cholesterol) reading, which should be below 3, she told me it was 2.7.
These buggers try to get you to accept that anything over 5 for total cholesterol is bad and you should take statins, but I've read it's the LDL that counts. 'Eat healthier and we'll test you again in three months' she said. Yeah, right.
YOU already have salad on your kebab Uncle Stemo  :o
how much "healthier" can you get  :-\

STEMO

« Reply #24 on: 20 September 2019, 12:26:59 »

YOU already have salad on your kebab Uncle Stemo  :o
how much "healthier" can you get  :-\
Exactly, Dave  :y
Going for my flu jab soon, I'm getting my money's worth this week.  ;D

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 20 September 2019, 12:30:37 »

I heard having a flu jab, you run the risk of then getting flu from the jab
or is that codswallop  :-\

STEMO

« Reply #26 on: 20 September 2019, 12:38:53 »

It's codswallop. Some, who are weak and feeble anyway, may get a slight reaction to the dead flu virus in the jab, but not normally. Most people have no idea just how serious proper flu can be. Not walking about complaining you have flu, but bedridden and quite seriously ill.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20 September 2019, 12:46:53 »

It's codswallop. Some, who are weak and feeble anyway, may get a slight reaction to the dead flu virus in the jab, but not normally. Most people have no idea just how serious proper flu can be. Not walking about complaining you have flu, but bedridden and quite seriously ill.
thanks for the Info  :y
so it stops proper man flu ,not just colds  ;D
when I get old, I'll consider it then*  :P

*If available with free postage via ebay.

STEMO

« Reply #28 on: 20 September 2019, 12:49:33 »

It's free for me at the surgery, but they refuse to refund my fuel costs to get there. Bastards, I'm a pensioner, me  :(

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 20 September 2019, 12:56:30 »

It's free for me at the surgery, but they refuse to refund my fuel costs to get there. Bastards, I'm a pensioner, me  :(
I'm not going to the Doctors  :o

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 20 September 2019, 18:00:31 »

My blood tests came back this week.

Apparently I'm going to feel much pain before I get better.  Good job a bit of pain never hurt anyone.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #31 on: 20 September 2019, 18:02:05 »

Apparently I'm going to feel much pain before I get better.  Good job a bit of pain never hurt anyone.
A lot of pain probably did, though. I had my flu jab this aft, and I didn't cry. The nurse gave me a lollipop  :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 20 September 2019, 18:03:16 »

A lot of pain probably did, though. I had my flu jab this aft, and I didn't cry. The nurse gave me a lollipop  :)
I think the nurse who took my blood a couple of weeks back nearly had to give me the kiss off life ;D
Grumpy old man

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 20 September 2019, 18:16:41 »

did your blood test positive for EHPC * , that can be painful
* extra hot phaal curry

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 20 September 2019, 18:43:17 »

Different tablets have different side effects on different people. Long term my digestive system can't cope with the type 2 diabetes drug Metformin. I put up with gradually getting worse for about 5 months until I thought I can't take these any longer and was put on the slow release version, which was fine until they doubled my dose and the same thing happened again. :( I'm now taking two completely different class of drug which are fine. :y

Vaccines are generally x1000s safer than the disease they are trying to prevent, they are very safe, but always remember, not totally safe as I found out to my cost & ending up partially sighted. Any faulty drug is reported using a yellow notice which was done by the hospital treating me for blindness where I got uveitis in both my eyes which is virtually unheard of except as the result of a faulty flu vaccine. :o >:(

Flu vaccines cause life changing problems in about 1 in a million to 2 million doses which equates to 10 to 20 people per year in the UK where the benign version of the virus used boosts your immune system against that variety is bred in vats of egg whites, occasionally a virus will mutate into something nasty & cause a problem, which is what happened to me. :(

I've been advised never to have this type of flu vaccine again & won't but I have had the anti-pneumonia one since then with no complications. :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 20 September 2019, 21:49:26 »

Metformin and Ramipril caused my kidney damage, so beware, Rods2!

Ron.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 21 September 2019, 00:30:50 »

A lot of pain probably did, though. I had my flu jab this aft, and I didn't cry. The nurse gave me a lollipop up the arse :)
I think the nurse who took my blood a couple of weeks back nearly had to give me the kiss off life ;D
Over your dead body...  ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 21 September 2019, 09:30:58 »

A lot of pain probably did, though. I had my flu jab this aft, and I didn't cry. The nurse gave me a lollipop up the arse :)
Over your dead body...  ;D
Yes. Indeed. Over my dead body.  Whilst I'm sure she was a lovely person, you just wouldn't go there. Big baps though.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.