Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega Elite 2.5 v6 Rough Running  (Read 1435 times)

marbles1980

• Bridgwater, Somerset
    • View Profile
Omega Elite 2.5 v6 Rough Running
« on: 04 March 2009, 14:13:34 »

Hi Folks

I'm new here and this is my first post so please bare with me.

I have a 1998 2.5 V6 Elite saloon and at the moment having some teething problems. It is high mileage (178k) but a really nice example. BUT it seems to idle at about 450rpm on an auto box which from experience seems a little low and it drifts between 450-550 rpm. Checked the Idle air and seems fine but cleaned it out anyway. There seems to be a build up of oil and carbon deposits within the plenum chamber and I haven't checked the plugs yet! Any ideas?

Also I was driving to Porlock and back which is about 70 miles round trip and it was raining all the way. During my drive it couldn't make up its mind what gear to be in jumping between 3rd and OD at 50 mph. NOT IRRATICALLY but noticeable. Help please.

Other than that works great with no probs. OH YEAH can anyone tell me how to perform the paperclip test please as we tried reading it from the obd II connector and couldn't access the ECU

Thanks in advance

Baz

Bumbazor

• Worksop
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Elite 2.5 v6 Rough Running
« Reply #1 on: 04 March 2009, 14:42:12 »

Hi there

That looks not far off what I get at idle once the engine has warmed up. It does look low but I think it's normal. Maybe someone else can confirm.

The ECU is not OBDII compliant so you won't be able to get anything from it using that method, but the paperclip test is a good start for fault finding. For more complete readings you will need a Tech2 code reader, which is expensive. However there are some members here who have one and if you live near them might be able to help.
To do: Replace brake discs and pads; adjust already replaced shoes; check for leaks in oil cooler, cambelt area, crank seals, sump, dipstick; replace osf door; replace a tyre; clean, MOT.

marbles1980

• Bridgwater, Somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 March 2009, 14:52:38 »

Hi

Thanks for that. I have just done the paperclip test and it read out No's 73 (MAF Low Voltage) 57 (Idle Air Low Voltage) and the usual 31. Is there any way to reset the codes to start from scratch as I don't know whether these were racked up by the previous keeper and not reset?

Cheers

Baz

Bumbazor

• Worksop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 March 2009, 14:57:00 »

Not sure if 73 and 57 are resettable or whether its a realtime report.

Do you get the same when the engine is running?
To do: Replace brake discs and pads; adjust already replaced shoes; check for leaks in oil cooler, cambelt area, crank seals, sump, dipstick; replace osf door; replace a tyre; clean, MOT.

marbles1980

• Bridgwater, Somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 March 2009, 18:53:44 »

Hi

Yeah I get the same codes whether the engine is running or not.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #5 on: 04 March 2009, 19:33:59 »

Hi

Thanks for that. I have just done the paperclip test and it read out No's 73 (MAF Low Voltage) 57 (Idle Air Low Voltage) and the usual 31. Is there any way to reset the codes to start from scratch as I don't know whether these were racked up by the previous keeper and not reset?

Cheers

Baz

Hi,
on a car having that mileage this play up in idle is normal..

having spend serious amount of money on sensors and other bits for a perfect idle, finally I concluded that it was not necessary..  ;D

as even a dirty ICV or EGR can play up with idle more than that ..

For the error codes you have, only MAF must be taken serious as it can increase the consumption or reduce the engine power..

as for the tranny : if I understand correct  in some hills the tranny cant decide with the playing load factor and swtiches between gears back and forth ..if this dont happen frequently its no probem..

Anyway lets see what others think..

« Last Edit: 04 March 2009, 19:55:45 by cem_devecioglu »

marbles1980

• Bridgwater, Somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 March 2009, 20:12:15 »

Thanks for that.

I understand that build up is normal especially for the mileage. (Not a problem)
I was concerned about the gearbox mainly because the previous owner had the gearbox changed. Now I have done alot of work on cars but never to that extent so I don't know exactly what this entails, hence I was getting the advice first.

Thanks again

laurie

• headley down, hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 March 2009, 20:59:40 »

try disconnecting the MAF connector and see if the revs drop? If not it will point to the MAF at fault. Mine did exactly the same, and once a replacement MAF was fitted the problem has since gone.

topcat

• Doncaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 March 2009, 21:02:27 »

Hi

Yeah I get the same codes whether the engine is running or not.
I have allso  had a running problem and found that when i have pulled plugs of icv and maf i get these codes but in a couple of days they are gone so maybe just unplugging them sets these codes off .Have had a look under bonnet tonight in darkness and can see blue flashing at one plug lead back of engine think found my problem

marbles1980

• Bridgwater, Somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 March 2009, 18:25:27 »

Nice one

I will have a look at mine later tonight and see what happens.
Thanks for that. I'm always open for suggestions.

Cheers again.

B :y

lpgelite

• Cumbria
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 March 2009, 22:39:48 »

Idle speed should be 600rpm. Tacho needle should sit on first line of gauge.

Do not be tempted to adjust throttle valve stop if it's running too slow.

Your ignition problem is the most likely cause of low or rough idling. Expect to find plug wells full of oil :(

Tranny could benefit from software update. Downshifting on light throttle was an issue on earlier models. There's a clever few on here who can update gearbox ECU software
« Last Edit: 06 March 2009, 22:43:48 by lpgelite »

marbles1980

• Bridgwater, Somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 March 2009, 19:15:58 »

Idle speed should be 600rpm. Tacho needle should sit on first line of gauge.

Do not be tempted to adjust throttle valve stop if it's running too slow.

Your ignition problem is the most likely cause of low or rough idling. Expect to find plug wells full of oil :(

Tranny could benefit from software update. Downshifting on light throttle was an issue on earlier models. There's a clever few on here who can update gearbox ECU software

Great thanks for that BUT. I'm struggling to understand where this has any reflection on the error/fault codes that have appeared.

marbles1980

• Bridgwater, Somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 March 2009, 12:23:30 »

Right I have tried the disconnecting the MAF and the engine didn't drop revs it died. Will start with it disconnected but the idle rate is even lower (about 400 rpm NO JOKE) but is idling more even.

I am confused. Does this indicate the need for a new MAF?????

B

bigdods

• Intermediate Member
  • Brackley
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 March 2009, 15:04:18 »

my 3.0 did the gear change thing at 50 . Up. Down. Up. Down grrrrr . Then I had the gearbox firmware upgraded by TB, problem solved :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.