Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio on, no sound  (Read 9127 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Radio on, no sound
« Reply #60 on: 06 December 2023, 17:41:17 »

I've noticed the N/S/R door loom to be a problem (windows, speakers etc) on all 4 Carlton's I had plus other Vauxhalls

Have you ordered the door loom that goes inside the door   ???
surely it's the loom that cones out of the B pillar that's the issue (that plugs into the door ) by the hinge  :-\

that's if it's the same as the front setup

Astra has replacement repair loom sections for this issue , not sure about Omega B
The rear door plug is in the B post ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 06 December 2023, 17:45:30 »

I've noticed the N/S/R door loom to be a problem (windows, speakers etc) on all 4 Carlton's I had plus other Vauxhalls

Have you ordered the door loom that goes inside the door   ???
surely it's the loom that cones out of the B pillar that's the issue (that plugs into the door ) by the hinge  :-\

that's if it's the same as the front setup

Astra has replacement repair loom sections for this issue , not sure about Omega B
The rear door plug is in the B post ;)
Ah  :-[
Thanks Al
I never sit in the cheap seats in the back ,so didn't know  :P

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 06 December 2023, 18:09:47 »

Thanks lads!

May have roped in an OOF member to help out!  :y ;)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 07 December 2023, 07:43:39 »

Whatever you buy make sure its DAB radio. It made the old radio we used to listen to redundant several years ago, but many people havent realised yet.  :y

My Jag has DAB. I tried it for one commute, decided it was utter sh1te and went back to FM.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 07 December 2023, 13:44:17 »

Whatever you buy make sure its DAB radio. It made the old radio we used to listen to redundant several years ago, but many people havent realised yet.  :y

My Jag has DAB. I tried it for one commute, decided it was utter sh1te and went back to FM.
I'm sure its fine for the BBC ensemble, and I'm sure the polishing brigade don't believe there are options beyond BBC R4. That even works on mine, despite 3 bloody great cracks across the rear screen.

Funny Mode isn't too bad on mine, despite the shagged screen, but in these parts its BBC or Heart.  Sadly, mine lacks the option of Aunty Mary :(

Needless to say, mines either on iPod or switched off ;D
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 07 December 2023, 14:39:54 »

Absolute classic rock. Planet rock. something or other classic 70,s.....etc. I find it pretty good.
There is even a Gaydio station for those of that persuasion. I think theres something for everyone on there.
Oh and theres GB News live.  :D
« Last Edit: 07 December 2023, 14:41:30 by Migv6 le Frog Fan »
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 07 December 2023, 14:51:14 »

DAB is fine on my Astra, but the only time I have the radio on is while I'm waiting for the missus to run into the shops. Not very often  :)
Diesel till I die

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 07 December 2023, 15:14:26 »

Absolute classic rock. Planet rock.
Good luck getting those in these parts.  Planet Rock does hog a (virtual) button on my DAB memory, but pointless until I get near the M40

There is even a Gaydio station for those of that persuasion. I think theres something for everyone on there.
That definitely hasn't reached these parts. Try again in about 30 years....
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 07 December 2023, 16:36:46 »

Funnily enough I ventured well into Suffolk today and struggled to get a signal on most of the normal stations.
Im in a tiny village on the Essex / Suffolk border, so surprised there is a decent signal here.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 07 December 2023, 18:30:25 »

Absolute classic rock. Planet rock. something or other classic 70,s.....etc. I find it pretty good.
Oh and theres GB News live.  :D

Nothing wrong with the channels, it's the reception. Even Radio 4 doesn't make it more than a couple of miles into my commute, but FM is solid all the way.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 08 December 2023, 17:35:58 »

we had an old basic car radio sat on the shelf in our workshop  for years. never an issue.always worked fine .
lads decided it was time to go dab so brought in one.
takes ages to lock on to a station. sounds like a dalek most of the time !
same as digital tv reception. anywhere with less than perfect signal strength you get breaking up and blocking . old analogue always worked fine .
technogy advances are not always better and not always done for any other reason than getting one up on other manufacturers.
for example (and one of my major issues )with all this is.......
they make computers/ phones etc etc that can do virtually everything nowadays,advances in technology as far as you can imaging BUT why not actuall get the basics working right first. calls that dont connect,calls that break up,video calls etc that break up,freeze ,

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 09 December 2023, 13:54:36 »

On the verge of giving up entirely.  >:( >:(

I took the door card off yesterday (without damaging anything!) with the intention of checking the loom today. After taking the card off, I turned on the ignition and the speakers came on. Great, I thought, must have jiggled something. Then I discovered that, with that speaker disconnected, all the rest work. In addition, SWMBO just told me that she moved the car yesterday a bit to allow builders to park outside the next door neighbour's house - before I had even taken the door card off - and the radio came on full blast for the first time in a week!

That means, logically, that the existing loom is OK and the fault must lie elsewhere.

It's wet and windy and I'm thoroughly pee'd off with it. Just going to clear up and put the door card back. I've officially got the hump with the bloody car. >:( >:( 

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 09 December 2023, 14:18:12 »

On the verge of giving up entirely.  >:( >:(

I took the door card off yesterday (without damaging anything!) with the intention of checking the loom today. After taking the card off, I turned on the ignition and the speakers came on. Great, I thought, must have jiggled something. Then I discovered that, with that speaker disconnected, all the rest work. In addition, SWMBO just told me that she moved the car yesterday a bit to allow builders to park outside the next door neighbour's house - before I had even taken the door card off - and the radio came on full blast for the first time in a week!

That means, logically, that the existing loom is OK and the fault must lie elsewhere.

It's wet and windy and I'm thoroughly pee'd off with it. Just going to clear up and put the door card back. I've officially got the hump with the bloody car. >:( >:(
The existing loom has probably got a break somewhere which is intermittently touching together.
Diesel till I die

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 09 December 2023, 21:54:35 »

The existing loom has probably got a break somewhere which is intermittently touching together.

I have thought about that, but I can't see how that would affect all the speakers. However, today has shown that with one speaker out, the others still work. Furthermore, I have now discovered that my new Kenwood unit will display an error message if it detects a speaker fault. I mean it MAY be that, but frankly given the weather (working at the roadside), the shorter daylight hours, the amount of time it would take to remove the door card (again), remove the membrane, replace the loom and re-assemble – well, I'm not sure I can be ars*d.

I'm willing to pay to get someone to fix it, but finding a willing tradesperson ain't easy these days. The guy who installed the new unit is not responding to texts or phone calls.

Ho, hum.  :(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 10 December 2023, 17:53:55 »

Depends if it's a break or a short. If a short, I'd hope the amp, even a cheap nasty chinky android unit, would detect and shut down the amp to protect itself.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.