Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil Cooler Condition  (Read 3827 times)

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
Re: Oil Cooler Condition
« Reply #30 on: 13 January 2007, 13:38:50 »

aaaaaargh

starting to hate this engine, theres just so little room to move.

Canister encased oil filter........what sort of magic trick in the toolbox removes this?

Theres a 24mm bolt at the front with an indentation similar to that of vectra oil sump where i use a t35 but none of these seem to do the trick...someone has mentioned an allen key ??... :-/
« Last Edit: 13 January 2007, 13:42:01 by Markiec »
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 13 January 2007, 19:30:37 »

I assume the cap has been overtightened and wont budge.

Use a 24mm socket with a breaker bar or T bar, try to counterhold the body with a strap wrench. Apply load to the bar then hit the end with a hammer, hopefully the shock will unstick the cap.

Sometimes the whole filter body comes loose from the block b4 the cap moves. If this happens then pull the body away from the block as you turn it and with luck the fastening bolt will unsecrew from the block. You then have to use heat / vice / strapwrench etc to separate cap from body. You will need a now seal for the body-block joint.

Dont use an open-ended spanner on the oil pipe flare nuts, you will squash the nuts and have problems refitting them. Buy or borrow a 19mm crowsfoot socket. You can use a flare nut spanner but you will need one which has the end slightly cranked wrt the shaft....straight spanners wont do.

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 27 January 2007, 16:10:18 »

I assume the cap has been overtightened and wont budge.

Use a 24mm socket with a breaker bar or T bar, try to counterhold the body with a strap wrench. Apply load to the bar then hit the end with a hammer, hopefully the shock will unstick the cap.

Sometimes the whole filter body comes loose from the block b4 the cap moves. If this happens then pull the body away from the block as you turn it and with luck the fastening bolt will unsecrew from the block. You then have to use heat / vice / strapwrench etc to separate cap from body. You will need a now seal for the body-block joint.

Dont use an open-ended spanner on the oil pipe flare nuts, you will squash the nuts and have problems refitting them. Buy or borrow a 19mm crowsfoot socket. You can use a flare nut spanner but you will need one which has the end slightly cranked wrt the shaft....straight spanners wont do.

never a truer word said......spend ALL day on this and cant stop the whole bloody thing moving......theres so little space under there.

I am just about to give up on this. Clearly over tightened ( air tools?) at last service  >:(

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27 January 2007, 17:32:17 »

Ouch... another one of those designs where you wonder why they changed something that worked perfectly well. With my first oil change on the Omega the filter wouldn't budge even with a filter wrench, so after about 10 mins I lost patience and hammered a screwdriver through it, job done. I'm really glad I don't have this wonderful new design!

Good luck with it mate, if you need a hand with anything drop me a line and I may be around. Doesn't sound like the kind of job where an extra pair of hands will make any difference though :(.

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 28 January 2007, 09:52:25 »

Ouch... another one of those designs where you wonder why they changed something that worked perfectly well. With my first oil change on the Omega the filter wouldn't budge even with a filter wrench, so after about 10 mins I lost patience and hammered a screwdriver through it, job done. I'm really glad I don't have this wonderful new design!

Good luck with it mate, if you need a hand with anything drop me a line and I may be around. Doesn't sound like the kind of job where an extra pair of hands will make any difference though :(.

thanks mate  :) your right though another pair of hands is appreciated but theres no space for them.

They really shoehorned that engine and thats the real battle. I need to get a different oil wrench and try to "snap" the casing by turning both parts different way.....maybe one day soon  :-/
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 21 queries.