Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Decorating help  (Read 942 times)

Tonka.

• Omega Knight
  • Lincoln, Lincolnshire
    • 2000 2.5 CDX
    • View Profile
Decorating help
« on: 18 August 2012, 18:16:08 »

An elderly friend called me today and asked me to look at this (see picture below)
All interior walls are brick and the DPC is intact
This is on one side of an interior wall. The other side (the lounge) is clear.
The wall going off to the right is the airing cupboard wall. This wall is affected at skirting board level but not as badly.
She also has a similar patch about 50cm long on a bedroom interior wall at exactly the position.
The lady had the wall repainted last year but the problem has resurfaced.

Any ideas?
What is it and how to prevent it reoccurring?  :-\

The happiest people don't have the best of everything,
they just make the best of everything they have.

OOMV6

Re: Decorating help
« Reply #1 on: 19 August 2012, 10:37:33 »

Difficult to know from a photo..... but ....

You'll have to cut that out. See if you can find out what's causing it. Rising damp, humidity from the airing cupboard?? Is there furniture always up against it? That is key, to know these things. You need to know the cause in order to deal with the symtom.
You might have to take the plaster back to the stone. Maybe something there. Sorry about the vague thoughts. If you start cutting it out, taking a few pics as you go, I might be able to shed more light on it.
Keep us posted

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 August 2012, 15:04:08 »

Basically, as above. Strip back, see if visual contamination, cut out, re-plaster (or similar). If nothing visual, clean down, fill out, and seal with a B-I-N sealer. This is shelac based and sticks like **** to a blanket. Very liquid, so be careful and do not drip/splash it about. This will seal the surface for repainting.
However, if nothing is showing visual, I personally would strip the area back deep anyway.
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #3 on: 19 August 2012, 15:59:40 »

Difficult to know from a photo..... but ....

You'll have to cut that out. See if you can find out what's causing it. Rising damp, humidity from the airing cupboard?? Is there furniture always up against it? That is key, to know these things. You need to know the cause in order to deal with the symtom.
You might have to take the plaster back to the stone. Maybe something there. Sorry about the vague thoughts. If you start cutting it out, taking a few pics as you go, I might be able to shed more light on it.
Keep us posted

same happened in my home.. after some costly digging found out the neighbours bathroom was blocked..  >:(

smithpa7

« Reply #4 on: 19 August 2012, 18:02:33 »

We have this problem on one section of an internal wall. It is the wall on the other side of the meter cupboard (in the middle of the house). The cupboard has a lot of salt/dust in the bottom. I believe that the membrane under the concrete floor has broken and with the very high water table around here, the damp is getting into the wall. I have a builder coming around this week, I will let you know what he says. The damage to the wall is just above the skirting board. :'(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.