Chat Area > General Discussion Area

Caustic Soda

(1/3) > >>

Mr Skrunts:
There was a thread not so long ago regards removing oil from a drive. (I searched but could not find it)

So today I came accros some Caustic Soda in a container looking a bit worse for wear.  I was going to dump it but decided to look up its uses.  (we used to use it a lot at work (Food Factory) with boiling water to clean the concrete floors.

So Googled it.

CLEANING & SANITIZING (dustbins, kennels, stables, driveways etc) Add 1-2 tablespoons of Caustic Soda per 5 litres of water. Scrub soiled area with solution, then wash down thoroughly with water. Removes oil and soot. PAINT STRIPPING Add 250g Caustic Soda to 1 litre of cold water.

https://www.google.com/search?q=caustic+soda+how+to+use&client=firefox-b-d&sca_esv=588338046&sxsrf=AM9HkKnFMvwucztPBR4eEdbcNUPM3vHlOg%3A1701859241237&ei=qU9wZfP5DaiqhbIPhd-0wAU&ved=0ahUKEwiz8p_cz_qCAxUoVUEAHYUvDVgQ4dUDCBE&uact=5&oq=caustic+soda+how+to+use&gs_lp=Egxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAiF2NhdXN0aWMgc29kYSBob3cgdG8gdXNlMgsQABiABBiKBRiRAjIGEAAYFhgeMgYQABgWGB4yBhAAGBYYHjIGEAAYFhgeMgYQABgWGB4yBhAAGBYYHjIGEAAYFhgeMgYQABgWGB4yBhAAGBYYHkiUWlCxDljlVHABeAGQAQCYAVegAfkFqgECMTC4AQPIAQD4AQHCAgoQABhHGNYEGLADwgINEAAYgAQYigUYQxiwA8ICBRAAGIAEwgIIEAAYFhgeGAriAwQYACBBiAYBkAYK&sclient=gws-wiz-serp

Sorry if it was mentioned in the OP but the bit about the paint stipping was also  interesting.

Andy B:
our cleaners use caustic too for cleaning through pipework & sauce filler bowls etc ..... all contained system (apart from where it leaks!  ::))

STEMO:

--- Quote from: Andy B on 06 December 2023, 10:58:53 ---our cleaners use caustic too for cleaning through pipework & sauce filler bowls etc ..... all contained system (apart from where it leaks!  ::))

--- End quote ---
Be trouble if that made it into the beanz

YZ250:
I used to use caustic soda to clean the exhaust baffles on my Two Stroke Moto X bike. Obviously I’d remove the baffles from the exhaust first.  :y
Just don’t use it to dip Aluminium in, unless you want to dissolve the Aluminium.  ::)  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti:

--- Quote from: YZ250 on 06 December 2023, 11:25:45 ---I used to use caustic soda to clean the exhaust baffles on my Two Stroke Moto X bike. Obviously I’d remove the baffles from the exhaust first.  :y
Just don’t use it to dip Aluminium in, unless you want to dissolve the Aluminium.  ::)  ;D

--- End quote ---

Ditto. The exhaust would get quite hot. I'd also stick the end of the 'zorst' into a big spud to stop the contents coming out. :)

Seemed a good idea at the time. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version