News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heater  (Read 278 times)

andrew25

• View Profile
Heater
« on: 26 January 2010, 18:52:04 »

Hi to all new guy to this wonderful forum. problem with my omega elite 3 ltr, when at running  at normal temp I have little heat coming into the car, is this a thermostat issue? if so is it easy to change? or could it be a more complex problem. Look forward to some replys and thank you for your time.
Andy :-X

Abiton

Re: Heater
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2010, 21:12:44 »

Hi Andrew, and welcome to OOF.  :)

When you say it's running at normal temperature, where on the gauge is the needle? If the reading is towards the bottom of the dial the thermostat may be stuck wide open, this would reduce the temperature of the coolant somewhat, but you should still get some heat through if everything else is OK.

If the gauge needle is actually somewhere near the middle (normal), the problem is most likely to be reduced flow through the heater matrix in the cabin.

Two things that can cause this are clogging up of the narrow pipes within the heater matrix, or a malfunctioning Heater Bypass Valve/vacuum control system.  This valve (HBV in common parlance) is vacuum controlled, and when heat is demanded, the vacuum pipe on the top of it should not have any suck on it.  Easily checked with engine running and controls set to hot, by pulling the vac pipe off the HBV (back of the engine, driver's side, three coolant pipes and one vacuum pipe attached) and feeling for suction/lack of.

If this seems OK, the next step is probably to give the matrix a good flushing out, for which there is a guide in the Maintenance Guides section:
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1263473441

« Last Edit: 26 January 2010, 21:16:20 by Abiton »

andrew25

• View Profile
Re: Heater
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2010, 22:38:55 »

Thank you very much for your advice, the needle is at normal (mid way) so I will try the flush out. Once again thank you.

Andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.