Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is a Range Rover the 4x4 for this weather?  (Read 3944 times)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Is a Range Rover the 4x4 for this weather?
« Reply #30 on: 08 January 2010, 11:29:03 »

We have had two Classic shaped Range Rovers and Mrs. Loo-knee regrets the day we sold the last one ::) I have not heard the last of it either ;D

There always seems to be something needing to be done on them, changing all the oils is quiet expensive too.
Parts are suprisingly quiet cheap, example an alternator for a Rangey was £50 new  :y
We went looking for snow in them which was brilliant fun and also an offroading day in the first one  :y :y :y

Pretty sure it is the 4.6 that had problems dropping liners.
Head Gaskets are pretty easy to do to as there is so much room in there, just climb in ;D

A neighbour used to work in the desert somewhere and he claims that Land Rangers etc etc are no match for either Land Rover or Range Rover.

I actually prefer the Classic shape, but Tunnie if you can afford a new Range Rover you must be a Rentboy ;D ;D ;D

I can't  :'(

...Yet... But he's working hard ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 08 January 2010, 11:41:44 »

We have had two Classic shaped Range Rovers and Mrs. Loo-knee regrets the day we sold the last one ::) I have not heard the last of it either ;D

There always seems to be something needing to be done on them, changing all the oils is quiet expensive too.
Parts are suprisingly quiet cheap, example an alternator for a Rangey was £50 new  :y
We went looking for snow in them which was brilliant fun and also an offroading day in the first one  :y :y :y

Head Gaskets are pretty easy to do to as there is so much room in there, just climb in ;D

A neighbour used to work in the desert somewhere and he claims that Land Rangers etc etc are no match for either Land Rover or Range Rover.

I actually prefer the Classic shape, but Tunnie if you can afford a new Range Rover you must be a Rentboy ;D ;D ;D

Tell me about it, worked Monday, going in tomorrow. Not due in again till Thursday  ;D

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 08 January 2010, 13:09:20 »

Tell me about it, worked Monday, going in tomorrow. Not due in again till Thursday  ;D

Renting yourself out must pay well then if you can afford such short weeks  :-X :-X ;D ;D
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 08 January 2010, 13:11:52 »

I'm now veering towards the old Land Rover, but I guess they've just gone up in price! :P :-/ :'(

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #34 on: 08 January 2010, 17:10:04 »

Ive lost mine.to SWMBO temporarily...have a 4.0 Vogue 2002 p38 Love it.

Due to our weather - we have been white since 17 December my wife has used daily - horses are kept at stables that have nearly 2 feet of snow in places.

The Rangie has been phenomenal - now thinking of a couple of L322`s ( selling the Jag, Rangie and clitSport)

Does that qualify as downsizing ? ;D
« Last Edit: 08 January 2010, 17:10:46 by Markiec »
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 08 January 2010, 17:12:32 »

the trouble with getting a rangie, means no excuses on getting to work  ;D

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 08 January 2010, 17:14:01 »

Meant to say - clit has been holed up since 17/12 simply wont go - mind you 182 horses on the wrong wheels  :(

Jag AWD also been brilliant  :y
« Last Edit: 08 January 2010, 17:16:20 by Markiec »
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 08 January 2010, 18:20:29 »

There seem to be a few members who also have Range Rovers. I'm toying with the thought of being able to go out in this sort of weather. Any advice on buying one second hand, apart from FSH etc, any particular model to go for? All opinions welcomed, thinking up to £5000:-/ :y

Getting back to original poster.

£5000 will get you a very good 4.0 v8. Dont go for 4.6 there more prone to head issues - although its hardly a 1 in 2 failure ratio!

4.0 is pretty bombproof and the performance difference is minimum.

Avoid the diesels in this price range as it will be 2.5litre P38 for this money. Really want a diesel then as a minimum double your outlay and get a post 2002 TDV6.

Issues to look for - like any car the basics - As much history as possible, as many stamps in the book as possible etc etc.

Specific to the Rangie - check the Height Ajustable Suspension - play around with it onthe move and ensure it changes as it should. IE it will move to motorway mode over 60mph. It is a part that is more prone to failing and can climb to a 4 figure outlay to replace worst case !

Rear Drop down tailgate can rust - have a good look.

Check from whines and groans from suspension and box / axel at speed.
DIY servicing easy due to layout and parts not that expensive if you keep away from main dealers.

What model ? Vogue is top spec, HSE next, followed by the SE.

Vogue post 2000 has everything you can think of - mine has DVDs in headrests, Sat Nav, 6 disc changer seperate sub woofer and standard Harman Kardon sounds. All totally standard. HSE is pretty similar in equipment just less ICE and less "walnut"

All will have leather and electric everything.

Hope this helps and if anyone disagrees ..remember its just my opinion  :y

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 08 January 2010, 18:26:14 »

I have a 4.0l 2000 cherokee and it has been superb in this weather, simple in design and build, creaks and rattles all over the place, but it goes where you ask it to go,and i pushed my dads 3.2 elite up a hill in dartford without any problems at all.
Gary. :)
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

Radiomarko

• Intermediate Member
  • Sunny Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 08 January 2010, 19:20:02 »

Lada Niva   :y :y :y
I hate seagulls.   

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 08 January 2010, 19:30:36 »

Lada Niva   :y :y :y

Fantastic offroad car  :y

When went on an Offroading Day there were alot of those and Suzuki Rhino's getting everywhere..
Brilliant funday :y
« Last Edit: 08 January 2010, 19:30:54 by Loo-knee »
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 09 January 2010, 13:09:08 »

There seem to be a few members who also have Range Rovers. I'm toying with the thought of being able to go out in this sort of weather. Any advice on buying one second hand, apart from FSH etc, any particular model to go for? All opinions welcomed, thinking up to £5000:-/ :y

Getting back to original poster.

£5000 will get you a very good 4.0 v8. Dont go for 4.6 there more prone to head issues - although its hardly a 1 in 2 failure ratio!

4.0 is pretty bombproof and the performance difference is minimum.

Avoid the diesels in this price range as it will be 2.5litre P38 for this money. Really want a diesel then as a minimum double your outlay and get a post 2002 TDV6.

Issues to look for - like any car the basics - As much history as possible, as many stamps in the book as possible etc etc.

Specific to the Rangie - check the Height Ajustable Suspension - play around with it onthe move and ensure it changes as it should. IE it will move to motorway mode over 60mph. It is a part that is more prone to failing and can climb to a 4 figure outlay to replace worst case !

Rear Drop down tailgate can rust - have a good look.

Check from whines and groans from suspension and box / axel at speed.
DIY servicing easy due to layout and parts not that expensive if you keep away from main dealers.

What model ? Vogue is top spec, HSE next, followed by the SE.

Vogue post 2000 has everything you can think of - mine has DVDs in headrests, Sat Nav, 6 disc changer seperate sub woofer and standard Harman Kardon sounds. All totally standard. HSE is pretty similar in equipment just less ICE and less "walnut"

All will have leather and electric everything.

Hope this helps and if anyone disagrees ..remember its just my opinion  :y

Thanks for all that info. :y :y :y
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.