Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canbus speed pulse question...  (Read 602 times)

05omegav6

Canbus speed pulse question...
« on: 06 May 2014, 14:24:26 »

I have a canbus speed output interface box fitted to the Insignia.

As I understand it, this translates the can signal into 1000pulses per mile.

If I fit this unit into another canbus car, will the meter then need calibrating, or will it still generate 1000 pulses per mile based on the can signal? Car is an E220cdi if that matters :-\

Confuddled of Sussex...

aaronjb

Re: Canbus speed pulse question...
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2014, 14:34:33 »

I'd assume if it's Canbus then it's receiving an absolute speed signal (i.e. "Speed is 32mph") and outputting 32000 pulses over a mile.. i.e. it's turning new-style speed signal into old-style?

I don't know for sure, but I do know if that E220 is an estate I'd be very interested in a shuftie around it ;)

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2014, 15:10:24 »

I'd assume if it's Canbus then it's receiving an absolute speed signal (i.e. "Speed is 32mph") and outputting 32000 pulses over a mile.. i.e. it's turning new-style speed signal into old-style?

I don't know for sure, but I do know if that E220 is an estate I'd be very interested in a shuftie around it ;)
Could be... on both counts :-X

Canbus is way above my pay grade, but yes your first paragraph is my take on how it works... if it doesn't need calibrating then that would be one less thing to deal with on thursday :-\

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2014, 16:30:13 »

Can is a packet like network so as already stated, an absolute speed value is sent.

So in theory it should work......the theory being that Merc have stuck to the standard protocol........

05omegav6

« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2014, 18:15:40 »

Can is a packet like network so as already stated, an absolute speed value is sent.

So in theory it should work......the theory being that Merc have stuck to the standard protocol........
On liberating the wiring from the Insignia diagnostic port, I discovered that it was connected to pins 1 and 4, not 6 and 14 as suggested :-\ what are pins 1 and 4 for so that I stand half a achance of connecting to the correct pins on the diagnostic socket on the E class...

Have done a route with the insignia prior to removal, so will be clear if it has worked as intended or not :y

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 May 2014, 18:32:56 »

On liberating the wiring from the Insignia diagnostic port, I discovered that it was connected to pins 1 and 4, not 6 and 14 as suggested :-\ what are pins 1 and 4 for so that I stand half a achance of connecting to the correct pins on the diagnostic socket on the E class...

Have done a route with the insignia prior to removal, so will be clear if it has worked as intended or not :y

If its the standard 16 pin diagnostic socket both cars should be wired the same  ???

Maybe not ???

this any help   http://plxdevices.com/obd/
« Last Edit: 06 May 2014, 18:34:47 by henryd »
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 May 2014, 19:28:01 »

and the Insignia for that matter....
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.