Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Water loss --- or maybe not?  (Read 985 times)

DaveA

• Intermediate Member
  • Leicestershire
    • Insignia CDTI SE 160
    • View Profile
Water loss --- or maybe not?
« on: 21 June 2012, 17:09:25 »

Went to pick up some parts from VX dealer this morning, plus a little ride in the rain, to the shops, came home, let motor cool for a couple of hours. When I went back I noticed the water level was a bit low, about half an inch.  When I removed the cap and released the remaining pressure in the cooling system, the water return to normal level, I have never notice this before, is this normal?
     I am loosing a little water somewhere (HBV) ????
Regards
    Dave

Abiton

Re: Water loss --- or maybe not?
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2012, 17:55:10 »

Went to pick up some parts from VX dealer this morning, plus a little ride in the rain, to the shops, came home, let motor cool for a couple of hours. When I went back I noticed the water level was a bit low, about half an inch. When I removed the cap and released the remaining pressure in the cooling system, the water return to normal level, I have never notice this before, is this normal?     I am loosing a little water somewhere (HBV) ????

That probably is normal TBH.  When the system is pressurised, i.e. cap on and at normal temperature, the air above the coolant in the expansion tank will be exerting a downward push.  Any flexible pipes in the system will be ever-so-slightly ballooned out by this pressure, resulting in a small increase in the effective system volume.  When the system is depressurised by removing the cap, all these hoses will relax and the level will come back up.

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2012, 18:48:02 »

i agree with him^

DaveA

• Intermediate Member
  • Leicestershire
    • Insignia CDTI SE 160
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 June 2012, 15:14:03 »

I've been looking at hotel21s Flow Chart HG or Oil Cooler from FAQ section from 25 April 2008 and the only part that applies is the HG route, it asked if the cooling is pressurised, does this mean that it is blowing out of the expansion tank? given that the cooling is normally under pressure, (mine is not)
   Have checked the HBV using another post from Sep 2008, i.e Let motor tick over at normal temperature and make several large changes to the AC controls, while watching the HBV for leaks, none showing. Am going to try RobG advice given today, and that is to let motor cool over night then check cylinder 4 for coolant on top of piston, if nothing seen will buy a compression tester :-\
   The flow chart says, have the expansion tank sniffed for exhaust fumes. Is there a kit for doing this? Or does he mean stick your snout in the filler neck?  My coolant in the expansion tank smells different from  fresh coolant, whether it smells like exhaust fumes, I don't know :-\ :-\   
  Just to recap
           I do not have, oil in the water or water in the oil and there is no mayo on the dipstick or filler neck.
          Is there anything I've missed,

PS I found that the best view of the HBV has from underneath, using a mirror and a lead light.  Laying on my back, half under the motor, I noticed a  continuous blast of air from a point just behind the front jacking point, when the fan in the cabin was at full blast and all windows and
doors closed, both sides that is, is this normal??

Regards
    Dave

feeutfo

« Reply #4 on: 26 June 2012, 15:53:52 »

It's a pressurised system. So it will boil over when the cap is removed from full.

Or just flood back in if the level is low. So filling the bottle when cap is removed is normal.

Obviously the lost coolent needs investigating.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.