Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing a car...  (Read 8032 times)

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
Re: Importing a car...
« Reply #60 on: 14 August 2012, 09:51:40 »

I previously imported from NY USA a Ford Crown Victoria. Including shipping fees, tax and SVA test it came to just over £3,000.
Below link is worth noting.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_4022105

That bit (well, IVA now) could be fun! If anything failed you could be in for a tough time trying to sort it out. Still, you'd think a car sold in Oz would be likely to comply with all the EU C&U regs..

COULD be be even more fun if they want too crash test it...good bye new car :'(....TBH they are doing that qiute a bit at the moment

Crash testing? :o Not at IVA. I have the manual somewhere. All common sense stuff, and I doubt much would need doing to pass it.

down here they do... it is done it about 5 miles away ...they did it too a cobra last week :y
clearly no owner is going to agree to a test where the car is destroyed. ;D

not saying i agree with it and i don't think you have much say in the matter...this is VOSA we are dealing with
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 14 August 2012, 10:40:59 »

not saying i agree with it and i don't think you have much say in the matter...this is VOSA we are dealing with

So, you turn up and present the vehicle for an IVA and they can crash test it before your eyes without your permission?

The clue is in the name - Individual Vehicle Approval. It's a process for testing one-off and low volume vehicles where you don't have a car park full of them to crash test nor the resources to do so. All aspects of the vehicle performance are assessed non-destructively on the basis that only a single vehicle exists.

I can see no requirement for crash testing in the IVA manual (I'm reading it now), except that, if such testing has been carried out and compliance with an equivalent standard demonstrated, you can use documentary evidence of compliance to satisfy the examiner. This is important because, for a production car from abroad, you will almost certainly be able to do so. Failing that, the examiner's experience will tell him if a vehicle structure is adequate. If he's not happy, a report from a structural engineer might be used to demonstrate compliance. Data from the kit manufacturer can be used, for example. At no time would an IVA specifically require a crash test before a vehicle is registered.

Now, if, as a kit car manufacturer, you start to exceed a certain production volume, or want to access markets where there is no "low volume" route to registration, you might need to go down that route. That's the only circumstance in which I would expect to see a kit car crash tested, so that'll be what you saw.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 14 August 2012, 10:50:38 »

our old office used to back onto the VOSA complex and tbh it was trikes as well and these bikes were converted using a  kit brought off the shelf to convert a bike to a trike which i would have thought would have already had that done to it before the kit  had gone to market
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

aaronjb

« Reply #63 on: 14 August 2012, 12:10:26 »

Now, if, as a kit car manufacturer, you start to exceed a certain production volume, or want to access markets where there is no "low volume" route to registration, you might need to go down that route. That's the only circumstance in which I would expect to see a kit car crash tested, so that'll be what you saw.

Given the timing it's quite likely the Cobra was one of the new AC models (which are actually Kirkham or Superformance kits, built elsewhere, IIRC) - they'll be going through low volume type approval I expect as there's no way AC could satisfy the "Amateur build" requirements for IVA  :y

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 15 August 2012, 14:03:13 »

don't forget that if you're a manufacturer and you DO meet the "very low volume" requirements for the "model report" part of IVA, not many countries will use these processes. Most insist on low-volume type-approval and include the Safety Steering Directive ( i.e. crash test ).

So it is very possible to see what looks like a kit car being crashed, even though it's definitely not a UK requirement until your 501st car per year.

PLANETNZ

• Christchurch New Zealand
    • 2000 CD 2.5 x25xe 80000km
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 15 August 2012, 21:40:34 »

Hi mate
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/holden/auction-495788713.htm

Ive actually used to export the origional (Holden) SS Commodores to the UK years ago and still import heavy equipment back here from the UK so I can probably help with a few bits
Exporting (and importing ) via Ausy can be a pain in the ass as they have a very complicated set of rules that vary between federal and regional states. From here (NZ) is a bit easier and possibly cheaper as our $$ is very strong at the moment
When I was doing it we exported to Ireland first then into the UK for your tax system. Then the cars had to have new speedo stickers made up to convert to MPH as ours are only in KM. There were a few other bits and pieces but we were exporting direct to other dealers and i think the rules for private imports arnt so bad. This of course was years ago and things would have changed since then!
for shipping you will probably have to ship by container rather than roro as we are the last call for shipping companies before they return back to the USA UK etc. You can get 3 cars in a 20' container and the cost will be around $3000 or 1500GBP
for an 07 model is around $40k nz. Our $$ is about double the GBP at the moment so that is about $20K GBP. If you buy something you will need a compliance cert and dereg cert for the idividual car basicly to say its not stolen and that it complies with certification regulations

If your interested our main on-line website is Trademe.co.nz and main auction site is turners.co.nz  good luck!

feeutfo

« Reply #66 on: 15 August 2012, 23:58:24 »

OOOOHOOHOOO you bought me the whole fe@kin toys shop there NZ. ;D

Good man :y

mrgreen

• Salzburg/austria
    • 2000 2.2 petrol estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 16 August 2012, 12:48:02 »

I agree with that, Aus is incredibly expensive for second hand cars (my Father lives there), New Zealand is the place to be!! looks like turners will help you as well, a very reputable firm when i was a young`un´ I used to buy my cars from them to flip them which is how i afforded to leave the country!
Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 18 queries.