Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Boiler Advice Please.  (Read 2171 times)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Boiler Advice Please.
« on: 19 December 2020, 20:50:04 »

My friend (A pensioner) is struggling regards her broken down heating.

They have had several plumbers out for quotes and advice to fix her boiler then give back word.

So I am wondering what help is out there for them.  They mentioned the Goverment was suggesting doing away with Gas boilers for a more energy efficient future.

So what are thier options?

The Baxi Bermuda it seems is not that efficient anyway.  so they think the combi boiler that i have may be a consideration for the future.  Then someone mentioned to them about an electric boiler/combo system.

Someone else told them they may be eligable for a grant towards it.

Another mention was solor panels could be an advantage to offset running costs.

Its all a minefield and wondered what info might be available from knowledgeable OOF members.-

Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Boiler Advice Please.
« Reply #1 on: 19 December 2020, 20:56:21 »

We have a Vailant combi. Been in about 16 years... Serviced every year and no real issues.
Onanists always think outside the box.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 December 2020, 20:59:23 »

forget solar panels

there was a grant clicky

check for eligibility  :)
it's only  2/3 the cost IIRC and must be installed by a scheme registered installer ,so finding one who has availability may be an issue .
as for what type of boiler etc, depends on the circumstances ,homes are different and what works for one ,won't be the solution for another 

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 December 2020, 21:17:25 »

My mum has an electric boiler, about 32 years old.  Supremely reliable but the streetlights dim when it fires up ;D
Grumpy old man

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 December 2020, 23:47:35 »

In the circumstances I would ask British Gas to do a survey and make recommendations but under no circumstances let her sign anything before someone reliable can review the advice and prices.

I had a similar issue at a property earlier in the year - took out a Baxi  Bermuda and a separate water boiler and replaced with Vaillant combi system and radiators installed. B Gas came in first and quoted  but got a good independent to do it for half the price.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 December 2020, 01:21:59 »

My mum has an electric boiler, about 32 years old.  Supremely reliable but the streetlights dim when it fires up ;D

Is this a family thing TB?  :o  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 December 2020, 07:03:12 »

In the circumstances I would ask British Gas to do a survey and make recommendations but under no circumstances let her sign anything before someone reliable can review the advice and prices.

I had a similar issue at a property earlier in the year - took out a Baxi  Bermuda and a separate water boiler and replaced with Vaillant combi system and radiators installed. B Gas came in first and quoted  but got a good independent to do it for half the price.

My Mum was on a plan with B Gas years ago, they quoted and she accepted the price for a new combi boiler.  They sent a 3rd party out to fit it, he bought and installed the new boiler and B Gas charged Mum double (100% profit for BG)

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 December 2020, 07:04:12 »

Out of interest how ecconical are they to run?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 December 2020, 11:50:18 »

Out of interest how ecconical are they to run?
If you have to ask that, you don't want one.  Me and her pay similar amounts for energy, only her house is noticeably colder, and all her appliances run at night - she has an Economy 7 type tariff.  Where as my A/C was on all summer, and the servers and network gear are on 24/7.  As she lives on her own, her dishwasher is on once a night, ours is on at least 3 times a day, and the washing machine gets far more use than hers.
Grumpy old man

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 December 2020, 12:14:04 »

If you have to ask that, you don't want one

I certainly dont want one, but then its not for me.  I am just collating advice for her as she heard they are trying to ban Gas boilers in the future.

ooh, switching off now, Nigella's on TV

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 December 2020, 12:20:46 »

The do-gooders want to ban all fossil fuel boilers - gas, oil, lpg and so on.

Let them freeze first.

The grid will be too overloaded overnight charging our stupid milk floats to have any capacity to charge our economy 7 storage heaters (who needs a boiler).  We tried electric heating in the 70s, along with warm air distribution, and knocked it on the head due to health concerns and impracticality.  Still, Millenial tree huggers won't remember that.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 December 2020, 12:23:19 »

My friend (A pensioner) is struggling regards her broken down heating.

They have had several plumbers out for quotes and advice to fix her boiler then give back word.

So I am wondering what help is out there for them.  They mentioned the Goverment was suggesting doing away with Gas boilers for a more energy efficient future.

So what are thier options?

The Baxi Bermuda it seems is not that efficient anyway.  so they think the combi boiler that i have may be a consideration for the future.  Then someone mentioned to them about an electric boiler/combo system.

Someone else told them they may be eligable for a grant towards it.

Another mention was solor panels could be an advantage to offset running costs.

Its all a minefield and wondered what info might be available from knowledgeable OOF members.-
What's with all the complicated and expensive alternatives? If her current boiler was heating the house well enough before it broke, replace it with similar. Don't listen to all the shite about the government's ambitions, they don't even kick in until the mid 2030's, by which time her new boiler will be knackered or.......well, she is a pensioner.
Diesel till I die

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 December 2020, 12:58:00 »

What's with all the complicated and expensive alternatives? If her current boiler was heating the house well enough before it broke, replace it with similar. Don't listen to all the shite about the government's ambitions, they don't even kick in until the mid 2030's, by which time her new boiler will be knackered or.......well, she is a pensioner.
Baxi bermuda is a back boiler that sits behind a gas fire ,but is independent from the fire (they share the gas supply and flue) the fire does not heat water .
this style of gas back boiler are no longer made  i don't think

that said, parts are available and maybe everyone who has looked at it would rather fit an expensive new boiler than replace a part and only be billing an hour of labour .

I'll generalise a bit here but the case in question may well be this ...

as it's a back boiler there will be an indirect tank ,valves, pump and controls in an airing cupboard
the ideal place to fit a combi (subject to being able to route a flue out )
BUT ....
whist most airing cupboards tend to have flow and return pipework  for heating circuits ,a cold incoming supply and domestic hot water pipes to the taps ,all stuff you need to fit a combi  :) they don't have gas pipes  :(

electric heating and air source heat pumps etc are very expensive ,even with a grant

a good local independent heating engineer may be able to fit a decent combi cheaper than going down any grant route (looking the grant route requires £2600 investment minimum, might be much less if on benefits )

cap/disconnect the flow and return to the back boiler location, at the airing cupboard
decommission the baxi back boiler, run a new gas line to the airing cupboard, and fit a combi and flue
as the heating pipes, rads etc are probably very old, a powerflush would be good practice

alternative to just a combi is a storage combi clicky which is a fantastic bit of kit for the space it occupies

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 December 2020, 14:39:28 »

For someone who's likely not going to benefit from decades of marginally cheaper heating from a new boiler to make their money back, the most sensible and quickest option is probably to repair what's there. It's likely just a thermocouple or gas valve that's died, after all, so an easy fix.

Most contractors would rather sell a new boiler, of course, so out comes the sucking of teeth "Can't get the parts for these" and stories of government grants, etc.

.. and yes, to get a sensible price, get British Gas to quote, then halve it. ;D

Electrical (resistive) heat is about 6 times as expensive as gas last time I checked.

A heat pump is not a direct replacement for a gas boiler. The house would need much better insulation and extensive under floor heating, etc. to make it work efficiently. Then you've got to find somewhere to put it, etc. Abolition of gas heating is a government aspiration (= not invented by anyone with common sense or engineering skills and subject to a U turn when the practicalities become obvious).

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 December 2020, 16:02:33 »

My Mum still has her 30yr old Baxi Bermuda boiler and fire. At the last service a few weeks ago the indy heating engineer said it was still in excellent condition and advised to carry on with it. Spares are still plentiful and cheap.  :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 19 queries.