Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Video of Ralf the Tank Engine...  (Read 5545 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Re: Video of Ralf the Tank Engine...
« Reply #30 on: 11 April 2012, 12:06:23 »

What's the history then?

Well I spoke to Ralf (the real Ralf) before I bought it and there was no misfire. He had the cam cover gaskets done and then this what seems like a missfire develops. I redo the CC gaskets, replace plugs, replace HT leads and replace disspac... and still sounds like this  :o
Well, as it was purchased as is, if it was me I'd start with the simple stuff first and work in deeper. Start with leaks and breakages, change the oil and add wyyns, then cam timing/crank it by hand, etc remove egr pipe see of it's cracked split or leaking. If still no good, cams out and check litters although an experienced eye would be handy there.

That is defo the most sensible course of action. cheers chris.  :y
Not forgetting exhaust manifolds for leaks, and a peer down the plug wells into the boor looking for valve marks in the pistons. Although it would struggle to run at all with bent valves.

Thanks chris.

this may be a silly Q but ill ask it anyway..... the exhaust manifold is to the left as you look at the engine?

can you give me a position marker as to where exactly i should be looking? is it right below the camshafts on the left (egr side)? :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

omega3000

« Reply #31 on: 11 April 2012, 16:02:33 »

yep, it ran that bad the day i got it :)
:o

Oh i see , not good then . Think it needs an oofer mechanic to give it the once over b4 you go spending anymore money on it but all depends if you want to still tinkle on it yourself for practice  :-\ Are you planning on doing all the work for mot and then sell it  :)

nar mate i aint spending any dosh on it. it's just for practising jobs on. ;)

if it works as a reasult of one of those jobs fixing it then great. if not, i shall donate it to the college to be worked on ;)

The oof college  :) Makes a good practice car for yourself like you say ..never done exhaust manifolds on the v6 so thats unknown territory for me ....i hope its an easy fix  ::) :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 11 April 2012, 16:08:32 »

yep, it ran that bad the day i got it :)
:o

Oh i see , not good then . Think it needs an oofer mechanic to give it the once over b4 you go spending anymore money on it but all depends if you want to still tinkle on it yourself for practice  :-\ Are you planning on doing all the work for mot and then sell it  :)

nar mate i aint spending any dosh on it. it's just for practising jobs on. ;)

if it works as a reasult of one of those jobs fixing it then great. if not, i shall donate it to the college to be worked on ;)

The oof college  :) Makes a good practice car for yourself like you say ..never done exhaust manifolds on the v6 so thats unknown territory for me ....i hope its an easy fix  ::) :y

hmmmm when you say youve never done one... you mean replaced one? sorry im just a little confused about what ive got to do with the manifold and its location
RIP Paul Lovejoy

omega3000

« Reply #33 on: 11 April 2012, 16:22:48 »

Yeah never replaced a broken manifold bolt or gasket / or a cracked manifold on a v6 .

So this picture is not from an omega but same principal in fitment to the heads .

You have one exhaust manifold either side of the engine block  ;)

Someone less useless than me might be able to explain it a bit better ,just trying to help  :) ;)
« Last Edit: 11 April 2012, 16:26:37 by eatmydust »

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 11 April 2012, 16:28:02 »

Cheers EMD ;)

So as you look at the engine as if you were going to work on it you have exhaust on the left and intake on the right?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

omega3000

« Reply #35 on: 11 April 2012, 16:42:04 »

Airbox to multirams via plenum via fuel intake is your intake .

Exhaust manifolds are both sides  :)

feeutfo

« Reply #36 on: 11 April 2012, 16:57:23 »

What's the history then?

Well I spoke to Ralf (the real Ralf) before I bought it and there was no misfire. He had the cam cover gaskets done and then this what seems like a missfire develops. I redo the CC gaskets, replace plugs, replace HT leads and replace disspac... and still sounds like this  :o
Well, as it was purchased as is, if it was me I'd start with the simple stuff first and work in deeper. Start with leaks and breakages, change the oil and add wyyns, then cam timing/crank it by hand, etc remove egr pipe see of it's cracked split or leaking. If still no good, cams out and check litters although an experienced eye would be handy there.

That is defo the most sensible course of action. cheers chris.  :y
Not forgetting exhaust manifolds for leaks, and a peer down the plug wells into the boor looking for valve marks in the pistons. Although it would struggle to run at all with bent valves.

Thanks chris.

this may be a silly Q but ill ask it anyway..... the exhaust manifold is to the left as you look at the engine?

can you give me a position marker as to where exactly i should be looking? is it right below the camshafts on the left (egr side)? :)
On drivers side is the EGR valve above cylinders 1 and 3. It connects the exhaust manifold to the Plenum in order to deal with emissions under certain circumstances and conditions. It job is to control "E"xhaust "G"as "R"e-circulation with it's internal electrically operated valve.
 Becsuse it deals with exhaust, if it leaks, or the associated pipe work cracks it's most likely you'll here a very similar noise to a leaking exhaust manifold gasket.

You'll see where the cast exhaust manifold is by following the EGR flexible looking pipe work down the drivers side of the engine, bolted to the manifold via large 24(?) mill nut, just inside the coolant transfer pipe. There is one manifold per bank of 3 cylinders. But only the drivers side has the EGR pipework fitted.

Manifolds are difficult to see as they ate mostly covered by heat shields.
« Last Edit: 11 April 2012, 16:58:55 by chrisgixer »

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 11 April 2012, 21:03:42 »

Thanks very much for that explanation  :y

Am i able to get to remove the heat shields to get to the manifolds if i did locate a leak? and are they easily replaceable if it was the manifold itself thats fubared or would i have to take out the cams to get access to remove/replace?

:y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

albitz

« Reply #38 on: 11 April 2012, 21:43:02 »

Nothing to do with the cams webby.They bolt to the side of the heads and the exhaust downpipes then bolt to the manifolds.
They are very awkward to remove.Ive never done it with the engine in the car,but iirc the engine mounts need undoing and the engine jacked up off the mounts to give enough access.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 11 April 2012, 22:43:56 »

Nothing to do with the cams webby.They bolt to the side of the heads and the exhaust downpipes then bolt to the manifolds.
They are very awkward to remove.Ive never done it with the engine in the car,but iirc the engine mounts need undoing and the engine jacked up off the mounts to give enough access.

lol

lets hope its not that then  ;D ;D ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

omega3000

« Reply #40 on: 12 April 2012, 09:52:35 »

:o Bloody hel , not a half hour job then  ::)

Good job you bought that trolley jack for ralfie  ;)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 12 April 2012, 09:59:33 »

:o Bloody hel , not a half hour job then  ::)

Good job you bought that trolley jack for ralfie  ;)

hahaha i will give abything a go....
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 12 April 2012, 10:04:11 »

I think I would be checking the cam belt and timing just in case, its an hours job and if you going to be starting and stopping it, gives you piece of mind that your not going to have to rebuild the top end if it does let go ;)
Retired

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
  • 3.0mv6 sal/3.0elite lpg/2.2dti estate
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 12 April 2012, 10:18:55 »

I think I would be checking the cam belt and timing just in case, its an hours job and if you going to be starting and stopping it, gives you piece of mind that your not going to have to rebuild the top end if it does let go ;)
would have been the first thing i did tbh.  :y

vauxhall & halfords trade cards.v6 cam locking kit.<local only.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 12 April 2012, 10:36:56 »

would have been the first thing i did tbh.  :y

i will do that next ;) well, after my rear brake job ;)
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 19 queries.