Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Front discs and pads done.... Rear brakes next.  (Read 2787 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Front discs and pads done.... Rear brakes next.
« on: 12 April 2012, 13:43:19 »

Hi guys,

As per the thread about Ralf I am absolutely itching to get to this timing belt and see if it's out. I revisited MarksDTM's DVD last night for possiby the 9th time (maybe we should have a poll as to who's watched it the most  :-\) and I got to say it makes more sense every time I watch it and can't wait to open Ralf up  ??? Don't read in to that)

However, being an adult (supposedly  ::)) I promised myself that as I still have loads to learn I would stick to my toddler-like schedule of works and so far I've done cam cover gaskets, full service, brake bleeding and front disc and pad changes.

SO before I go for the timing belt I'm going to this weekend do rear disc and pad change.

Now I've read Mark's very useful guide showing how to service the rear brakes which includes (what looks like anyway) taking the hub assembly apart and cleaning/inspecting/replacing elements of that.

However, although I do want to do the hub service at some point, I really just want to look at rear disc and pad changes at the moment, like I did with the front. As soon as I've done that... you guessed it... I have a date with the Timing Belt.

SO.

I understand that the rear has the same caliper piston set up at the front (push in as opposed to spin/twist back in) and this is how I'm going to do it... unless you lovely peeps disagree :) Unsure areas in red  :y

1. Wheel off
2. Remove caliper (2 13mm holding screws top and bottom?)
3. Brake cleaner on the shims/springy things
4. Re-grease slide pins with my lithium grease and make sure they're able to slide easy.
5. Remove pads. Looks like in the rear brake service guide as if they have to be pinched out through the caliper using long nosed pliers.... but presumably as I'm removing the caliper I'll be able to remove them as I did in the front?
6. Vise grips on brake hose and brake bleeding kit attache to bleeder which has been knocked open.
7. Push piston back using my new piston-pusher-inner tool (Thanks Kevin W.)
8. Remove caliper mount 2x18mm?
9. Remove disc...hopefully I'll be able to get an allen in the hole this time. If not I know what to do to get that out (thanks previously for that , chaps).
10. Reassemble.
11. Top off brake fluid.
12. Pump brake pedal until it comes back.

Think that's it but any help you could give me with my red patches  :-[ would be wonderful.

Cheers folks.

Ps, I'm really enjoying these updates on what I've learned/about to learn. I hope you are too :)

I'd say so far I haven't really been challenged too badly. I do know that cambelt is going to give me some probs. But hey.... BRING IT ON :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
Re: Front discs and pads done.... Rear brakes next.
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2012, 13:48:26 »

i would jack it up first webby or it will go horribley wrong ;D ;) :y
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2012, 13:50:29 »

;D ;D i had planned on it  ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
  • 3.0mv6 sal/3.0elite lpg/2.2dti estate
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2012, 13:51:23 »

Lmfao.....what you like.. ;D ;D ;D

vauxhall & halfords trade cards.v6 cam locking kit.<local only.

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2012, 13:51:57 »

Rear calipers are different to the fronts. The pads are removed by taking out 2 pins. To get the disc off you have to back the shoes off through a little hole in the disc.
Retired

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2012, 13:52:38 »

There's always one!!  ;D ;D ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2012, 13:56:26 »

Worth reading the handbrake adjustment guide too.

You will need to slacken off the handbrake cable and possibly also the wheel shoe adjusters (accessible through a hole in the disk) before the disk will slide off since the hand brake shoes act on the inside of the brake disk.

In addition, while it's all apart, it would be worth checking the condition of the handbrake shoes and replacing if required, cleaning the whole mechanism and reassembling according to the guide.

After replacement of the disks, the handbrake will need to be correctly adjusted (again, see the handbrake guide).
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 April 2012, 13:56:39 »

Rear calipers are different to the fronts. The pads are removed by taking out 2 pins. To get the disc off you have to back the shoes off through a little hole in the disc.

Thanks EP.

So, can the caliper itself actually be removed then or is it an integral part of the disc?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 April 2012, 14:01:58 »

Thanks Kevin,

Just re-read Mark's guide. Actually, loike you said it looks like this should be part of the replacement too (servicing the mechanism).

i'll get down to that and if i have any probs ill come back ;)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 April 2012, 14:19:14 »

Yep, handbrakes often cause aggro, especially for auto drivers who get lazy and stop using it regularly. ;)

So, if the rear disks are coming off, it makes sense to give the handbrake a once-over while you're at it.

The caliper can be removed. The main difference compared to the front setup is that it doesn't have to be removed if you're only changing the pads, and it's mounted solidly to its' bracket as it doesn't have to "float" (since it's a double acting caliper with twin cylinders).

All will become clear when you see the setup.

Beware that if you're going to unbolt the caliper and move it aside while working on the disk, secure it out of the way with some cable ties, bungee chord, etc. because it's on a long length of rigid brake line which is easily damaged if the caliper gets knocked.

Check this rigid line is well clear of the hub, disk and wheel, and not likely to be damaged when you come to reassemble everything. If it's been bent it can easily come into contact with things and get damaged, then you've got very little brakes!
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 April 2012, 14:23:36 »

Yep, handbrakes often cause aggro, especially for auto drivers who get lazy and stop using it regularly. ;)

So, if the rear disks are coming off, it makes sense to give the handbrake a once-over while you're at it.

The caliper can be removed. The main difference compared to the front setup is that it doesn't have to be removed if you're only changing the pads, and it's mounted solidly to its' bracket as it doesn't have to "float" (since it's a double acting caliper with twin cylinders).

Beware that if you're going to unbolt the caliper and move it aside while working on the disk, secure it out of the way with some cable ties, bungee chord, etc. because it's on a long length of rigid brake line which is easily damaged if the caliper gets knocked.

Check this rigid line is well clear of the hub, disk and wheel, and not likely to be damaged when you come to reassemble everything. If it's been bent it can easily come into contact with things and get damaged, then you've got very little brakes!

Good point, there's been at least one horror story after the pipe has worn through ::)
Retired

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 April 2012, 15:20:08 »

Good point, there's been at least one horror story after the pipe has worn through ::)

Me or you?  :-[ ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 April 2012, 15:22:41 »

Me or you?  :-[ ::)

Quite disconcerting really.  :o

When i did the front pads/discs i simply rested the caliper on the disc. if i needed to get the disc off i would have held it and then popped it on the hub. it seemed to like it there :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 19 queries.