Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying a previously underpinned house?  (Read 2231 times)

aaronjb

Buying a previously underpinned house?
« on: 21 June 2016, 14:38:05 »

I know a few of you on here are worldly wise.. or wiser than me, anyway.

It turns out the house I'm in the process of buying has been underpinned at least once, possibly twice, and has had other remedial work carried out subsequent to the first underpinning.

Basically:

1930s built single skin brick & render house, pitched tile roof
Underpinned in 1989 (no details forthcoming so far)
Remedial work (cracks in walls, epoxy filled cracks in brick pointing, replastering etc) in 2002 carried out by insurer
Further Building Notice for underpinning in 2011 (no details so far)

Would you get the details or run a mile? My gut says run a mile even though we're now three months in to this tortuous process.. :-\

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a previously underpinned house?
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2016, 14:43:48 »

So underpinned ages ago and then cracks repaired in 2002, further underpinning recently........

Any sign of cracks etc., clearly a case where a good independent survey would be money very well spent (and not the tat the mortgage companies flog!) as an absolute minimum.

Speak to your insurance company to, state you are looking to move and ask for a quote on the house your looking at.....you may find the premium either very high or a refusal to insure based on the three previous claims.

It is a risk, it would need to be a pretty special and well priced place for me to move into it (but then I would not buy a house that old anyway, it needs at least a cavity wall for me  :y)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2016, 14:53:11 »

I should add that there should be some paper work available and in this I would expect to be able to see the route cause of the subsidence (e.g. Tree, mine work, foundations not suited to ground type etc.).

Then its a case of has the original cause been addressed......if its a tree has it been removed etc, if it has then happy days.

The building control info should be on the local council website (at least the most recent work)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2016, 14:55:34 »

I'd run a mile, it would surely affect things if you want to move on in the future.

aaronjb

« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2016, 15:10:05 »

Thanks both  :y

The building control info should be on the local council website (at least the most recent work)

That's the odd thing, I can't find the most recent one on the Northampton website - the various full planning applications I can find (for the extension etc) but the ones with prefix/suffix "BN" (which I assume means "Building Notice") don't turn up in searches, which is annoying as the most recent work was "BN/2011/45-BN, Underpinning"

The work in 1989 appears to lack any documentation of any form so far, at least based on what my solicitors have provided to me.  The work in 2002 has an insurers report attached which states exactly what was done (all 5 pages of it, although it is in minute detail) and while some cracks in bricks were repaired with epoxy there was no underpinning or piling carried out.

My gut says run a mile .. but we're also three months into this rollercoaster of heartache, ups & downs, chasing solicitors, being chased by estate agents.. bah, bloody houses.

ted_one

« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2016, 15:12:37 »

What has your building society said,?it's sounds like it's mortgageable,or did they ask for an in depth structural survey? You will be asked by your insurers if the house has been underpinned,so you may well have to get some advice on that score :-\

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 21 June 2016, 15:15:57 »

If you're planning on staying until you die, then dig very deep and make sure you go in with your eyes open. As Mark says, a full structural survey is a must, and inform the surveyor of your concerns before he visits the site.
If you plan to sell at a later date, then potential buyers will have to go through exactly what you are now and it may well put all but the most eager off.
Are there any similar properties for sale in the area? Are they similarly priced? Do they suffer the same problems? Have they been on the market for ages. How long has this property been on the market and has the vendor had to/offered to drop the price?
Are you a cash buyer or will it be a mortgage? Because lenders are very, very careful when it comes to things like this, they may want to get their own surveyors on the job, at your expense.

Still keen? Then you must really want it, so go for it.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2016, 15:32:07 »

Thanks both  :y

That's the odd thing, I can't find the most recent one on the Northampton website - the various full planning applications I can find (for the extension etc) but the ones with prefix/suffix "BN" (which I assume means "Building Notice") don't turn up in searches, which is annoying as the most recent work was "BN/2011/45-BN, Underpinning"

The work in 1989 appears to lack any documentation of any form so far, at least based on what my solicitors have provided to me.  The work in 2002 has an insurers report attached which states exactly what was done (all 5 pages of it, although it is in minute detail) and while some cracks in bricks were repaired with epoxy there was no underpinning or piling carried out.

My gut says run a mile .. but we're also three months into this rollercoaster of heartache, ups & downs, chasing solicitors, being chased by estate agents.. bah, bloody houses.

Give them a call, they are usually very helpful  :y

Are the original building notice application forms online?

ted_one

« Reply #8 on: 21 June 2016, 15:54:44 »

If it's in Bracknell or Wo kingham, then no worries, as when all the buildings finished the whole area is going to disappear into a mahoosive sinkhole under the weight of it all ::),

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 June 2016, 16:18:57 »

If it's in Bracknell or Wo kingham, then no worries, as when all the buildings finished the whole area is going to disappear into a mahoosive sinkhole under the weight of it all ::),

They're going to have to pour even more concrete in Bracknell for that to happen. Surely that's not possible, is it? ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 June 2016, 17:15:00 »

Would you get the details or run a mile? My gut says run a mile even though we're now three months in to this tortuous process.. :-\

I know nothing about houses and building etc. I am however a big believer in "gut feeling" and instinct. We've moved a few times and every time my "gut" told me something was not right, it's always been correct. Not always about the property itself, maybe the seller, maybe the area, or the general circumstances, something. I've completely walked away from at least three property purchases, even after splashing out on surveys and some legal costs. Buying a house is a huge purchase.

Trust in "The Force"  ;)  Also, if buying with a mortgage trust the mortgage provider. If they don't like it, then it's for a reason   :y

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 June 2016, 17:36:06 »

Speaking as a bricklayer I`d run a mile, there will probably be more repairs needed in the future unless as Mark said the cause has been a tree that has been removed, and it`s only single skin.

The only two reasons I`d buy something like that is if it was virtually given away and it was a gorgeous picturesque cottage, if it failed either of those I`d be long gone.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 June 2016, 17:40:14 »

Agreed. Research , research and then run.

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 June 2016, 17:47:41 »

Interesting one, Aaron.

You describe your potential purchase as something of a 'basket case'

If it were an Omega you would cube it. If it were a horse you would shoot it. If it were a woman you would exchange it for Mrs Aaron's sexy younger sister. :-* :-*

However, a house that could become your new home is different because it is hard to remain completely objective. Emotion and gut feeling play a part.

There are plenty of 'wounded' houses out there that come with an interesting history.

Personally......If you really like this house........I'd go with it and see where it leads. :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 June 2016, 18:07:39 »

I'd say take all the advice above on board and then if you still really want the house and the price is right then do it.  :y

I think the price is important though in these cases as you might end up shelling out for repairs or if you want to move again in a few years, you'll have to offer it at the right price to temp someone into taking a risk.  ;)

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.