Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vodafone Broadband  (Read 1725 times)

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
Vodafone Broadband
« on: 01 April 2017, 09:31:52 »

Anyone using Vodafone Broadband fibre? Thinking of switching to it so wondered if anyone had  experiences of this - good or bad. A few bad reviews on web but I suppose that is the case with all of them.

[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

STEMO

Re: Vodafone Broadband
« Reply #1 on: 01 April 2017, 12:56:33 »

Phil, I don't see how one provider can differ that much from another, except at sorting out problems. They all use the same infrastructure.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 April 2017, 13:46:28 »

Phil, I don't see how one provider can differ that much from another, except at sorting out problems. They all use the same infrastructure.

That is exactly what I think everytime Vodafone, who are my mobile provider, send me yet another wonderful piece of waste paper telling me how great they are.  I am with BT for my landline, and my "superfast" Broadband comes in on super Infinity fibre cable to the green box in the road, only to then transfer to old copper cable to my flat.  This is exactly how Vodafone would supply my Broadband if I ever went over to them.  So what is the point in changing? :-\ :-\ :-\ ;)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 April 2017, 13:51:36 »

True but it also depends who's equipment is being used in the Exchange.

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 April 2017, 14:09:17 »

Vodaphone have separate fibre connections to the cabinet I understand but obviously same wire from cabinet to house. Some reports on web talk of router being unreliable etc which you can get with any supplier but if anyone on here had genuine experience then it would be good.

Interestingly only Vodafone can offer a guaranteed fibre connection as the cabinet near my house is full. Currently with SKY but BT, EE etc cannot confirm that I will get my current fibre speed of 36ish. There is no Virgin cabling here.

At £23 for 18 months for unlimited fibre I am tempted to go to Vodafone. Despite Tunnie's kind efforts I have today cancelled Sky TV package as price increase unacceptable. Another story!!.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 April 2017, 14:09:31 »

Virgin Fibre springs to mind.

JDX

• Intermediate Member
  • Hersham, Surrey.
    • '02 2.2dti CDX estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 April 2017, 15:42:14 »

We signed up to Vodafone yesterday as our talk talk cheap contract was coming to an end.
£26 monthly for an 18 month contract for the faster broadband. It's not installed for a couple of weeks - was the soonest they
could do it. There was £1 installation charge instead of the usual £49 so went for it!
Hope it's faster than the talk talk we had - time will tell.. ::)

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 April 2017, 16:26:51 »

We signed up to Vodafone yesterday as our talk talk cheap contract was coming to an end.
£26 monthly for an 18 month contract for the faster broadband. It's not installed for a couple of weeks - was the soonest they
could do it. There was £1 installation charge instead of the usual £49 so went for it!
Hope it's faster than the talk talk we had - time will tell.. ::)

Yes that is the deal I am looking at - £23 if you are a Vodafone mobile customer - which I am not as yet but maybe will be by time I sign up.

JDX

• Intermediate Member
  • Hersham, Surrey.
    • '02 2.2dti CDX estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 April 2017, 18:26:32 »

I will post again once it's up & running & have used it for a while  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 April 2017, 13:46:07 »

Vodaphone have separate fibre connections to the cabinet
Cobblers.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 April 2017, 14:05:13 »

Ignoring VM for a mo, (virtually*) all providers will use Openreach and BT Wholesale to connect end customers to their own ISP infrastructure.  How and where the ISP does that connection(s) will make a significant difference to how well it performs.  More importantly is the ISP's own infrastructure - in laymans terms, some will just have the minimal amount and route out via a single transit provider, others may have full local CDNs from the big providers and route out via multiple transit providers and peering, or even own their own transit networks.

So, not all providers are the same!!  Not even close.  And these differences can make a whole world of difference, though for basic web browsing and email, most FTTC options will be more than adequate, no matter who provides the service.  But if your needs are predominantly Netflix for example, then one that has Netflix caches at the ISP itself, or very close by, would be beneficial.  If your needs a cock length bragging rights down the pub, go for one hosting a speedtest.net mirror.  I would imagine Sky would work well if your primary need is NowTV.

Additionally, universally, without exception, the "free" ISP supplied router is utter shite in every respect.  BT's HH6/SmartHub is the best of the lot, but still not as good as a reasonable router.  BT customers take note, if you change your router for something different, you may lose access to BT Wifi when out and about.

*Some of the rural subsidised brandband schemes use non OR infrastructure, but this is rare, as OR won most of the contracts as everyone else knew is was unprofitable.
Grumpy old man

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 April 2017, 16:51:53 »

Cobblers.

Something to do with Cable and Wireless apparently - which Vodafone acquired.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 April 2017, 17:04:57 »

Cobblers.

Something to do with Cable and Wireless apparently - which Vodafone acquired.
Still won't run a fibre to an OR FTTC cabinet.  Even if OR would allow it, there would be nowhere to terminate it without taking out OR's fibres.

So, unless its a non OR cabinet, and OR won't run copper cables to somebody else's FTTC cab, I repeat, you've been told cobblers.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.