Chat Area > General Car Chat

This Week in Wheeler's Workshop

(1/78) > >>

Nick W:
For the first time in ages, I've managed to get up and do something every day this week. Hopefully it will be good practice for when I get around to finding some full time employment.

Monday, I made these:

They're adapters for jacking the tail of a small aircraft, and apparently they're normally a lot more expensive than the £25 I charged ???

Tuesday I collected a friend's Grand Vitara, fitted new shocks and wipers and put it in for an MOT.

Nick W:
Wednesday's job was to make this look better:

That's off an MGF, and the 'aluminium' trim had worn through. Think Irmscher wheels for an Omega.

A couple of minutes with some scotchbrite had it ready to mask:

Then I designed and fabricated a high-tech Custom Clamping Fixture**:

Yes, I know I'm not very good at masking!

A couple of coats of Z147 Star Silver, and some 2-pack clear:

It wouldn't match a piece of trim that it touches, but it is bloody close! Plus, it's going to be much more hard wearing. And I already had the paint. One of those it ought to work jobs.

** The CCF only looks like a scrap bit of 2x2 softwood, with a 14mm hole drilled through and then cut in half to clamp a 15mm rod in my bike workstand.

Nick W:
Thursday's job was to find out why the resin adjusters in Andrews headlamps weren't working.

So, I stuck them in the oven, and replaced the adjusters with some scrounged aluminium ones which we know work.

The resin ones showed a couple of problems:

The inserted pin and ball can be pushed out if you wind the adjuster too far; and it's easy to strip the tapped thread. So, if you use these, you need to ensure that they are set close to where they need to be before you reassemble the lamp. When you adjust the beam setting on the car be gentle. Then they are likely to be a decent solution to knackered adjusters.

Nick W:
Friday, I assembled two sets of these:

Like this:

(which is the real use of cordless impacts for DIY use)

into these:

And to complete the prep for a front suspension rebuild, this morning I fitted a set of polybushes

One tip from this which saves needing extra hands for assembly:

a couple of spots of superglue to hold the rubber isolater in place!

amba:
Headlight beams now fully corrected ,Nick and for the first time in ages headlights both light the road in front of car,not the trees on the n/side and just about the front of the bumper on the o/side.
Top job and thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version