Omega Help Area > Omega Electrical and Audio Help

Pick up 12 volt under dash

(1/4) > >>

Jan Suhr:
I'm going to add a power outlet at the back of the center console, mainly for connecting a 12 V cooler for long travels. It will need at least 15Amps. I have already an USB outlet for phone charging connected to the wires for the 12V cig outlet.

I'm thinking of picking up a connection under the dash for this power outlet. Either one that is on by ignition or controlled by the same relay that controls the power to the inner lights and cig outlets. I will use a relay for the power 12 to the outlet.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Below is the panel with the outlets I'm going to mount. I added an image but it doesn't show up.
http://www.protouring.se/files/omega/outlet.jpg

biggriffin:
15amps??? Is it a compressor fridge or a cool-box,, the only time them cool-boxes draw 15amps is when you set them to heat, the standard fag lighter in the back are sufficient for a cool- box, if it's a compressor fridge, then I would be looking to run direct from battery.

Doctor Gollum:
Or take it from the tow bar wiring in the spare wheel well and run it forward to the centre of the rear seat :-\

Andy B:

--- Quote from: Doctor Gollum on 10 April 2021, 22:57:44 ---Or take it from the tow bar wiring in the spare wheel well and run it forward to the centre of the rear seat :-\

--- End quote ---

This what I'd do  .... IIRC it'll need a fuse fitting under the steering column to power it up.

TheBoy:

--- Quote from: biggriffin on 10 April 2021, 21:47:14 ---15amps??? Is it a compressor fridge or a cool-box,, the only time them cool-boxes draw 15amps is when you set them to heat, the standard fag lighter in the back are sufficient for a cool- box, if it's a compressor fridge, then I would be looking to run direct from battery.

--- End quote ---
The Peltier cooler ones pull big currents, and most are Peltier ones now as cheap and easy to make.

My convection fridge I use for camping - the type that can run from 12v, 240v or gas - is about 60W on electric, so around 5A, and runnable off a ciggy socket.

15A is probably beyond most ciggy plugs (a quick squint around the electronics retailers seem to put them around 10A max, and beyond that they are liable to heat up and soften), though I notice the OP is using a proprietary plug.

Personally, I think, for a constant 15A, I would run a separate supply through one of the 80A fused supplies, with an (accessible) inline 15A fuse, and through a relay thats energised when the car is running only....    ....look at HRW circuit for how this is achieved.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version