Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega 2.6 2002 Auto overheating problem. Possible fan problem help needed  (Read 5780 times)

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • Omega 2.2i CD manual 2003
    • View Profile

Just purchased an Omega 2.6 2002 Auto estate. Picked it up last night and drove it home the 40 miles.
On the motorway the temp stayed around 85 until I came off and slowed in traffic on the dual carriageway. It then shot up to over 100 so I quickly turned the engine off until it cooled enough to get me back home just.

I was told the Air con needed re-gassing but its been so long that the seals have probably dried up and needed replacing, but it all worked fine apart from that. I started the car this morning and there was no clunk and no change in engine revs when I pressed eco on and off and the two front fans did not come on with the Air con switched on. What could be the problem?

Thanks

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile

Just purchased an Omega 2.6 2002 Auto estate. Picked it up last night and drove it home the 40 miles.
On the motorway the temp stayed around 85 until I came off and slowed in traffic on the dual carriageway. It then shot up to over 100 so I quickly turned the engine off until it cooled enough to get me back home just.
Blocked rad?
Rad fan(s?) switch u/s  :-\

I was told the Air con needed re-gassing but its been so long that the seals have probably dried up and needed replacing, but it all worked fine apart from that. I started the car this morning and there was no clunk and no change in engine revs when I pressed eco on and off and the two front fans did not come on with the Air con switched on. What could be the problem?

Thanks

Failed condenser is very often the starting point

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile

Andy, if the Air con condenser has failed would that effect the way all three fans operate when air con is switched on?

How do I check to see if any of the fan switches are faulty and where are they located?

Thanks

05omegav6

Let it idle... When it gets hot, all three fans should be running at full chat regardless of aircon on/off :y

If it isn't putting all three fans on then the thermo switch is probably goose.  There are two on the battery side of the rad. On controls the primary fan and tother is the override to switch the front fans on if the engine gets hot :y

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile

As Al says, check the fans  :y

Looking at what happened, this is my take on it .............

Your travelling down the motorway at 70 plus 10%  :D
Your engine is running perfect with the airflow keeping the engine temp perfect.
You slow down.
The engines still nice and hot BUT you have very little airflow SO the block thermostat opens and the radiator fans (should) kick in.
Due to the block stat opening, it tries to divert the water through the radiator but its pretty much blocked up with crap so the water doesn't flow and causing the block temperature to go through the roof  :(

My advise is, take the car off the road for a few days.
Remove the radiator and empty it.
Blank off all outlets by one and fill it with Fernox or another suitable central heating flush agent.
Leave it in for 24 hours than swill it around and empty it out.
Repeat for as many times as time will allow then empty and flush out with a hose pipe.
Important bit  Don't use a pressure washer or you will shag the radiator  :-[ :-[

Refit and see what's happening  ;)
If it still over heats then its probably a knackered radiator so it will need changing  :y

vauxsull

• Omega Knight
  • Garden City, North Wales
    • 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile

Wasn't aware the 2 outer fans should be on if the air con doesn't work??

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile

Done some testing on the drive. Engine temp went up to just under 100 and none of the three fans came on. When car reached just over 100 the two front fans kicked in for a few seconds and then went off again. The rear rad fan stayed off all the time. I turned the engine off at that stage.

Does this sound like a failed switch and what does it look like and what is it connected to and does anyone have a part number please?

Thanks 

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile

I've traced back the wire from the rear coolant rad fan and it goes into a wiring loom so I can't follow it back to the switch. Where exactly is the switch located that controls this fan?

Thanks

05omegav6

The two temp switches as, as said earlier, on the battery side of the rad...

Unplug the top one, allow the car to idle, if the front fans come on as per last test, then the unplugged switch is the dead one and vice versa :y

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile

Thanks Al. :y

Can both switches be accessed by taking the battery off or do I have to take top rad hose off to gain access and then refill coolant or is there an easier way?

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile

The only way I can see to gaining access is take the battery out and go through there. If anyone has an easier way to gain access to both rad switches please let me know.

Thanks

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile

Does anyone have the part numbers for the top and bottom coolant rad switches?

Thanks

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile

Top rad switch 90458540. Bot rad switch 90376209 :y

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile

Top rad switch 90458540. Bot rad switch 90376209 :y
[/highlight]

Thanks Paul

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile

Should I buy from Vauxhall or will any third party trmp/fan switch be OK?

Thanks
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.